• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Non-Wallaby RWC Warm Up Matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Barbarians Team to play Samoa at Olympic Stadium , London . 29th Aug
Coach : Jamie Joseph

Hookers : Saia Fianga'a , Tolu Latu
Props: Benn Robinson , Carl Hayman (NZ) , Josh Honneck (NZ) , Kyle Tranor (Scot) , Maks Van Dyk (Sth Afirica)
Locks: Ali Williams (NZ) , Bakkies Botha (Sth Africa) , Luke Jones
Flankers : Liam Gill , Jacques Potgieter (Sth Africa) , Adam Thompson (NZ)
No 8 : Pierre Spies (Sth Africa)
Scrum Half : Luke Burgess , Nic Groom (Sth Africa)
Fly Half : Christian Lealiifano , Mike Harris
Wing : Dom Shipperly , Tom English , Taqele Naiyaravoro (Fiji)
Centres : Ben Tapuai , Paul Williams (Samoa) , Wynand Oliver (Sth Africa)
Fullback : Dwayne Sweeney (NZ)
Should be an entertaining encounter .......

BigSteve

Herbert Moran (7)
Do you think any of these players will also travel to the usa? Particularly Naiyaravoro and christian Lealiifano?

Would be interesting to see if cheika plays Taqele for future and Lealiifano for the match fitness incase he is needed in the world cup.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Considering how many wingers we're taking to the RWC, it's hard to see Taqele getting a run. Personally I think it would be pretty average if Australia caps him unless he's about to renege on his Glasgow contract and stay in Australia. I think we need to be giving Speight and Horne some game time.

Apparently we're only taking about 2 or 3 players from the shadow squad to the USA. You'd think that Hanson should get a run as well.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Glasgow Touring Squad for Canada match. In addition to the 3 officially released players from the Scotland Squad, Josh Strauss has been sent over for some gametime, given he doesn't become eligible till days before the World Cup.

FORWARDS (16)

Jason Hill
Josh Strauss
Will Bordill
Simone Favaro
Chris Fusaro
Scott Cummings
James Eddie
Kieran Low
Tim Swinson
Mike Cusack
Zander Fagerson
D’arcy Rae
Kevin Bryce
Pat MacArthur
George Hunter
Jerry Yanuyanutawa

BACKS (12)

Peter Murchie
Junior Bulumakau
Lee Jones
Rory Hughes
Mark Robertson
Glenn Bryce
Robbie Fergusson
Fraser Lyle
Rory Clegg
Scott Wight
Mike Blair
Grayson Hart

From that squad, if it's a proper 23 man squad thingymabob, I the team you'll see is: Murchie, Hughes, Bryce, Lyle, Jones, Clegg, Hart, Yanuyanutawa, Bryce, Cusack, Swinson, Low, Favaro, Fusaro, Strauss, B: McArthur, Rae, Fagerson, Cummings, Eddie, Blair, Wight, Bulumaku.
No Aus Broadcast, but if you can access the BBC iPlayer, through whatever manner you choose, it will be streamed there. Albeit I think it'll clash with the Baabaas, so not many would

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What's the deal with Barbarian matches? I assume the players get paid? Does the home union (of the participating players) get paid as well?

T

TOCC

What's the deal with Barbarian matches? I assume the players get paid? Does the home union (of the participating players) get paid as well?

Players get paid quite handsomely, remember a few ears back Gits, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Drew were fined by customs for not declaring the $20'000 barbarians match payment they were carrying back into Australia.

The players are paid out of gate receipts, not sure how that's calculated, whether it's a percentage of overall sales or a set fee. Likewise, Barbians FC would no doubt take a fee for the match.

I don't see the Union of where the player is from getting paid, i imagine the ARU are happy to release players to play for the Barbarians as it's provides the players with additional income. It would also be a reciprocal relationship, Barbarians played Wallabies last spring tour, it would be a good faith trade that the ARU then release players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
SCOTLAND TEAM (SPONSOR BT) TO PLAY ITALY AT BT MURRAYFIELD THIS SATURDAY (29 AUGUST, KICK-OFF 3.15PM) – LIVE ON BT SPORT

15 Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors) – 32 caps; 9 tries, 1 pen, 48 points
14 Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors) – 95 caps; 12 tries, 60 points
13 Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors) – 7 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
12 Peter Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps, 1 try, 1 con, 1 pen, 10 points
11 Tim Visser (Harlequins); 19 caps; 7 tries, 35 points
10 Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps; 1 try, 1 con, 7 points
9 Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Gloucester) – 39 caps; 3 tries, 41 cons, 81 pens, 340 points

1 Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby) – 45 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
2 Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby) – 87 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
3 Willem Nel (Edinburgh Rugby) – 1 cap
4 Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby) – 9 caps, 1 try, 5 points
5 Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 13 caps; 1 try, 5 points
6 Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps
7 John Barclay (Scarlets) – 44 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
8 David Denton (Edinburgh Rugby) – 26 caps

Substitutes
16 Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby) – 1 cap
17 Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors) – 10 caps
18 Jon Welsh (Glasgow Warriors) – 5 caps; 1 try
19 Robert Harley (Glasgow Warriors) – 16 caps; 1 try, 5 points
20 Blair Cowan (London Irish) – 12 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
21 Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors) – 15 caps; 4 tries, 20 points
22 Ruaridh Jackson (Wasps) – 26 caps; 4 cons, 2 pens, 2 drops, 20 points
23 Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby) – 27 caps, 3 tries, 15 points

That's a good good side. Count 6 players missing from the best possible 23, if you ignore the openside issue.

Maitland, Seymour and Brown missing with niggly injuries, should be fine. Richie played 80 last week, the others need minutes too. Strauss still ineligible and Dunbar 50/50 for the World Cup.

Depending on the Italy side, I'll be very very disappointed if there's not improvement over last weeks performance.

G

galumay

Ominous signs watching Joubert ref the IRE V WAL game, almost total disregard for Welsh players off their feet and not supporting body weight at rucks. Nearly ever turnover has been illegal.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
OlympicStadium1.jpg
Sprinklers came on during the first half of the Samoa vs Barbarians match.

Not wet enough in the UK?

G

galumay

IRE unlucky not to win that one, Welsh lineout was poor and they didnt offer much in attack. Wales won with a rock solid defence and accurate goal kicking. Ireland tried their hearts out and had plenty of possession and opportunity in the 2nd half, but couldnt quite make it happen.
Wales didnt honestly look like they would trouble the Wobblies too much on that showing, but i suspect they will lift!

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not overly concerned about the Welsh tbh. That Irish team relies heavily on their kicking, and their attack is one-dimensional. It just made it easy for the Welsh to defend against once they nullified the Irish kicking game.

Status
Not open for further replies.