• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby Season 14/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
All 3 major provinces look poorly coached added to the injuries you can't expect much more than they've done. Look what the players achieved under a decent coach in November. In fairness we still have all 4 provinces in the top 6 in the league.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I have serious reservations about how Ireland will fare in the six nations after yesterday. Paulie played as badly as I can remember dropping balls left right and centre and contributing to an absolute abortion at one line out near the end of the game. I hope Leinster can beat the Pests in Coventry to get themselves an easier QF. Munster must push on now and earn a top two finish and hopefully a league win to guarantee ourselves a good draw next year. Ulster need to know what is happening with their coaching set up but also whether they can rid themselves of Fat Nick Williams because he is not fit enough for pro rugby. I am not as pessimistic as some but I am worried about the lack of power in Ireland.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Next season will show if the performance of the top 3 Irish provinces has been an abhoration or if it's a sign of an underlying trend. Personally I think

Munster will improve next year and should make at least the QFs. Leinster have so much talent that it's difficult not to see them make it no matter how poorly coached they are, but in the knock out stages where every little advantages counts they'll be exposed until either MOC comes up with a recognisable gameplan or he steps aside for someone else.

I think Ulster will have a harder time of it. I admire the fact that they rely on internal promotion and Doak having such a strong link to the province. I hope he can turn the province around next year, but if ever there was a team that needs to proven winner to come in and shake things up it's Ulster.

With Schmidt in charge I'm not nearly as worried for the national team as I am for the provinces. Add that to the fact that there's plenty of things to work on from a decent showing in November and I think there will be plenty of hunger within the group for the 6 nations. We still haven't seen anything from Ireland in attack and that's one area I'd expect a major improvement in. We also need a big focus on the set piece which was below par.

Historically, for me at least, the time to worry about Ireland is when we look like we couldn't play any better, that's when complacency has crept in and we've lost games we were expected to win. This is a big year for Ireland with the prospect of trying to defend thw 6 nations title and have a decent RWC run (for me anything less than a SF for this Irish squad would be a failure).

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
No point worrying about how our 6N will go based on these games. Club form rarely has too much bearing. It's only noticeable if an up and coming star is working his way up the hierarchy and knocking on the door for national selection. For established players it matters little. Wales have won three grand slams in 5 seasons will 4 of the worst teams in Europe feeding their team. Conversely Ireland had three of the best and had two seasons in a row where they hit fourth and fifth in the 6N.

Also every player was red hot looking under Joe in November, they've not lost it, rather they just had one off games in which their game plans and opposition game plans meant they got beasted. I would still tip ireland for the 6N for the first time in years as for once we've a fantastic coach and positive results behind us.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
No point worrying about how our 6N will go based on these games. Club form rarely has too much bearing. It's only noticeable if an up and coming star is working his way up the hierarchy and knocking on the door for national selection. For established players it matters little. Wales have won three grand slams in 5 seasons will 4 of the worst teams in Europe feeding their team. Conversely Ireland had three of the best and had two seasons in a row where they hit fourth and fifth in the 6N.

Also every player was red hot looking under Joe in November, they've not lost it, rather they just had one off games in which their game plans and opposition game plans meant they got beasted. I would still tip ireland for the 6N for the first time in years as for once we've a fantastic coach and positive results behind us.
Let's hope this fantastic coach can deliver a grand slam and a top of the group finish in the RWC, like Ireland's much derided last coach. I think the Ireland players, across the provinces, have looked very jaded since the AIs and the Christmas camp. Even Heaslip has picked up an injury which is nearly unheard of.

In other news Tuilagi looks to be out of the six nations with the dreaded Osteitis pubis. Must make it touch and go for the RWC.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Stade Francais and Clermont remain joint leaders of Top 14 after strong wins on the weekend. Toulon also back to the winners circle beating 4th placed Racing. Matt Giteau was good for Toulon.

At this stage of the season it looks a race in 3 SF, Clermont and Toulon.

Bordeaux on the improve and with their recent signings look good for next season.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
Let's hope this fantastic coach can deliver a grand slam and a top of the group finish in the RWC, like Ireland's much derided last coach. I think the Ireland players, across the provinces, have looked very jaded since the AIs and the Christmas camp. Even Heaslip has picked up an injury which is nearly unheard of.

In other news Tuilagi looks to be out of the six nations with the dreaded Osteitis pubis. Must make it touch and go for the RWC.
Heaslip has got fantastic conditioning. On boards.ie someone posted an article about his fitness regime, the guy takes to sleeping in hyperbaric chambers and stretching techniques post and pre game. I'll post the link when I get to work in an hour where he explains in depth.

Even still his injury only kept him out of a game or two, I'd class it more precautionary than a full blown tear in part of the anatomy. Ridiculous to think since 2006 I believe the guy hasn't had a major injury to keep him out. Must be quarter genetic, quarter conditioning and the rest luck.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Heaslip has got fantastic conditioning. On boards.ie someone posted an article about his fitness regime, the guy takes to sleeping in hyperbaric chambers and stretching techniques post and pre game. I'll post the link when I get to work in an hour where he explains in depth.

Even still his injury only kept him out of a game or two, I'd class it more precautionary than a full blown tear in part of the anatomy. Ridiculous to think since 2006 I believe the guy hasn't had a major injury to keep him out. Must be quarter genetic, quarter conditioning and the rest luck.
It is freakish. The only other player I can think of with those levels is Bull. I think the reason he stayed fit though was just unbelievable power and probably having bones as hard as granite. I wish they could both pass on what they have to Seanie and the Munster hookers!?!?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Another odd squad from Mr Cotter. Killer Bees well and truly out of favour, but picking both Hidalgo-Clyne and Pyrgos ahead of Cusiter is the strangest one for me, unless he's picked up a knock for Sale. However, it's worked so far, no reason to lose faith.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Richard Cockerill telling it like it should be:

"Leicester director of rugby Richard Cockerill blasted coach Warren Gatland for rushing the 23-year-old Anscombe into his squad at the expense of the Tigers' Welsh first five-eighth, Owen Williams, who has been in hot form in the English Premiership."

Nice retort this:

""Richard Cockerill's comments about Gareth Anscombe's Wales callup are both out of order and full of holes," Simon Thomas wrote on WalesOnline, adding that they were "uncalled for and an unnecessary sideswipe"."

Pot, kettle, black.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...bes-wales-selection-stirs-rugby-import-debate

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Williams knows the rules. PRL, the English club organisation, fine their own members if they release non English players outside of the international window. Owen Williams has, with Cockers assistance made his own bed, let him lie in it. It is a bit rich for the coach of Tuilagi who was nearly deported out of the UK while playing for England to start chucking accusations about.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
It is, which is why I have zero sympathy for Williams. I will laugh if Burns usurps him as starting 10 at the cheatahs so he spends the next two years getting English splinters up his arse while the OHs who have stayed loyal to Wales disappear over the career horizon.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Pat Lam has really brought Connacht on and they're far more competitive than they have been historically. Additionally they've more players involved in Ireland squads. He's been shrewed in the foreign players he's brought and this has brought on the Irish players there. Overall I'm very happy with the job he's done there and delighted that he's signed on for another three years.

In short it's a very good move imho.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^ as you probably know Pat's not exactly the most popular guy in Auckland given the clusterfuck that was the Blues on his watch so it's good to get the view of someone who's not carrying that baggage.

Status
Not open for further replies.