• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby Season 14/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Gerry Thornley has all but confirmed it. Apparently there are top ups to the IRFU deal from both Leinster and 3rd parties.

As for the PRL a fight with the RFU isn't one they'll win. Hopefully the rfu have the stones and put them back in their box

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Gerry Thornley has all but confirmed it. Apparently there are top ups to the IRFU deal from both Leinster and 3rd parties.

Any word on if the Irish contract is comparable to what Racing Metro were offering? Or did the "I need extended family to help take care of my baby" factor override the money?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
There's no figure agreed yet but it will be less than both Racing (€700k) and Toulon (€900k) were willing to offer. Tax will be more favourable in Ireland but he'll almost certainly be taking a pay cut. It's expected to be in the region of Jamie Heaslip's €500k a year.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sexton is reported to be on the verge of signing a 4 year deal to return to Leinster from the 2015/16 season.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/irish...on-to-sign-four-year-leinster-deal/#idc-cover

The paper that reported it are a bit hit and miss with stuff like this though.

ESPNScrum have a slightly different take on this:

"Leinster boss Matt O'Connor claims talk of a four-year contract for Johnny Sexton is premature but he hopes the fly-half will return to the province.
Sexton left Leinster to sign for Racing Metro ahead of the 2013-14 season on a two-year contract with the option of a third. Sexton said he would make a decision on his future over the coming weeks but reports on Monday claimed he had agreed to a four-year deal to re-sign for Leinster.
"Leinster boss O'Connor, talking at Tuesday's launch of the 2014-15 Guinness PRO12 season, claims discussions are on-going and nothing is yet ready to be announced."

Read more at http://www.espnscrum.com/guinness-pro12-2014-15/rugby/story/238823.html#BxwELMeOVM8igQjD.99

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
So much seems to depend on Sexton wanting his extended family around his baby, or around for his baby. If he doesn't get the right deal from Ireland, he might want to negotiate getting his mom over in France.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Any word on if the Irish contract is comparable to what Racing Metro were offering? Or did the "I need extended family to help take care of my baby" factor override the money?

Not really comparable if you just take the IRFU offer, but if you factor in that Leinster and a 3rd party are topping it up and the increased sponsorship deals he'll be able to command AND the Irish tax back laws (he'll get 40% of his tax paid at retirement) I'd say he'd be more than breaking even.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm sure they'd love to have it but it would be a tough sell politically in the UK because the chavballers would be getting it too

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sexton broke his jaw playing for Racing so he's probably going to miss the November tests.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Sexton broke his jaw playing for Racing so he's probably going to miss the November tests.

It's a 6-8 week recovery, so at the very latest he'd be cleared just before the November tests. If he stays fit, we'll see. At least he'll be rested and not carrying any other niggles.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
So we've had our first English, Celtic & Italian games overnight.

In the Aviva Premiership opener, the reigning Premiers Northampton destroyed Gloucester 53-6, with George North scoring a Hat Trick, and braces to Tusi Pisi & Luther Burrell.

The 2 Pro12 fixtures saw Ospreys host Treviso, and Edinburgh take on Munster at Thomond Park. The Welsh side took a bonus point victory away from the game (44-13) , running in 5 tries, and 17 points from the boot of Dan Biggar. Edinburgh held on to take 1 point win from their opening away fixture, 3 penalties from Tom Heathcote and a Jack Cuthbert try enough to beat a Stander brace and Keatley's penalty (13-14).

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I wonder if Munster morale was impacted by their little admin error earlier in the week. Would have been a fun team meeting to be in the day after.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
So we've had our first English, Celtic & Italian games overnight.

In the Aviva Premiership opener, the reigning Premiers Northampton destroyed Gloucester 53-6, with George North scoring a Hat Trick, and braces to Tusi Pisi & Luther Burrell.

The 2 Pro12 fixtures saw Ospreys host Treviso, and Edinburgh take on Munster at Thomond Park. The Welsh side took a bonus point victory away from the game (44-13) , running in 5 tries, and 17 points from the boot of Dan Biggar. Edinburgh held on to take 1 point win from their opening away fixture, 3 penalties from Tom Heathcote and a Jack Cuthbert try enough to beat a Stander brace and Keatley's penalty (13-14).

And Setanta haven't got the rights to show these comps in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.