• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
This is half the problem with Refs, sometimes it wouldn't actually hurt to ask the assistant if they agree. Also for the assist to speak up if they disagree. There is a lot of games where some of the assistant refs are more experienced then the Ref doing the game. At the end of the day the Ref, 2 Assistants and TMO are meant to be a team as well. The responsibility needs to fall on all of them to get it right.

In this case all it would have took is for the TMO to show the 5 seconds after contact, where the player was clearly concussed and unbalanced on his feet. The ball came lose on the ground and he was very shaky trying to pick it up, anyone who saw that footage would say high impact to the head. Mitigation would have then been out of the question cause he was upright and the right call would have been made.
I agree they ask the RA if they are closer to offence than he is, but Barnes was closest anyway, and was standing with his refs when watching replays, and I actually never really noticed any angst , beside which in this case, no way was AR more experienced then probably the No 1-3 ref in WR (World Rugby).
I saw a game from NH last year where both ARs and TMO were trying to tell the ref he may well be wrong and he rightly said 'no I see the height of both players'. They are called assistant refs as they are assistants, and not boss refs.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
The Welsh players are edging closer to a strike, possibly before the England game:

This is very dangerous territory for the WRU ahead of the world cup - even if they can avoid a strike they stand to lose some of their top players OS as they go off contract and are looking for certainty. Combined with the smaller squad sizes the provinces are being forced to operate and the increased potential for injury as a result on they could very well be limping into the world cup a shadow of their former selves.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Welsh players are edging closer to a strike, possibly before the England game:

This is very dangerous territory for the WRU ahead of the world cup - even if they can avoid a strike they stand to lose some of their top players OS as they go off contract and are looking for certainty. Combined with the smaller squad sizes the provinces are being forced to operate and the increased potential for injury as a result on they could very well be limping into the world cup a shadow of their former selves.
Agree it's extremely dangerous, could bankrupt the WRU in one hit with the loss of match day from a game that big.

Also could play as a blessing if they tell Gatland pick a side of players who are willing to play, cause they couldn't do any worse then the Current Dad's Army side the Walsh are putting on the pitch.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Agree it's extremely dangerous, could bankrupt the WRU in one hit with the loss of match day from a game that big.

Also could play as a blessing if they tell Gatland pick a side of players who are willing to play, cause they couldn't do any worse then the Current Dad's Army side the Walsh are putting on the pitch.
They probably could do worse than the current side though. A lot worse, even.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)

I'd be very surprised if they came out this ahead anytime soon. I think the attrition rate amongst their professional players is going to be massive. They basically staved off the covid hit with a government loan and now they're set to cop it to keep up with repayments. France and Japan will be circling.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Got a question for all my fleet-footed friends on here. This is a fantastic try from Perpignan on the weekend, is that poor positioning from Jack Maddocks? Poor commitment or simply unlucky? Could he have done anything there to stop that?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Got a question for all my fleet-footed friends on here. This is a fantastic try from Perpignan on the weekend, is that poor positioning from Jack Maddocks? Poor commitment or simply unlucky? Could he have done anything there to stop that?
Eh he was in position or at least moving towards it. Looked like the kick fell more into the blindside wingers area of responsibility who should be dropping back on a penalty (depending on the structure they have that might be different - A lot of teams shuffle who is where when not in possession).

Whole team got caught sleeping by the quick tap, though, including Maddocks who had fully turned around and jogged back to his spot. Not exactly brilliant heads up play. He might've been able to diffuse the situation if he was on it half a second sooner.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Seems there light at the end of the tunnel, hope it's not a train!

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Dropping only one back is always risky, a lot of ground to cover and the quick tap caught them off guard. Don't think it helped having a injured player limping around either if he was meant to be the one covering that line.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
DE1BEF84-5187-4ECF-9507-2C25004D9656.jpeg

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
If they scrap their cap rule for Tests why would you stay there at all? I get the feeling they are going to leave Wales anyway so scrapping it is the only way to put a competitive 15 on the field.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
On some level I think the Shamateur clubs never gave up on wanting to be integrated with the English divisions.
Certainly feels like the eventually result of all this, 1-2 Welsh clubs slotting into the english comp at the top level while most of the players leave off shore.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I wonder if world rugby could have played a bigger role in regulating the player salary market - which is what ultimately underpins all the uncertainty in rugby at the moment including here and in Wales etc.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I wonder if world rugby could have played a bigger role in regulating the player salary market - which is what ultimately underpins all the uncertainty in rugby at the moment including here and in Wales etc.
How so?

I know UEFA have financial fair play rules but I think they apply to teams as opposed to players. I don't mind the concept but I can hear it being construed as a restriction of trade on the player. Hate to think the Super Rich in Rugby would just form leagues not associated with World Rugby.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah dunno how exactly but I guess some form of financial fair play rules. Does seem unlikely given how disparate the leagues are.

I think rules applying to teams rather than individuals would almost certainly be preferable, but i dont think it would be a 'restraint of trade' issue. Restraint of trade typically refers to one employer attempting to limit an employee from utilising their expertise at another business. Not quite relevant here.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
The URC is pretty outrages, the dragons admitted they pay the same as most English clubs to finish close to dead last & its not even half of what Leinster pay.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Also worth noting the European FFP rules came in to stop clubs going under (clubs like Leeds, Malaga, etc) rather than to stop clubs like City financially doping. Which seems to be an issue for rugby.

Edit: although - its basically two ends of the same coin. While one team dopes, another needs to overextend to compete.

Last edited: