• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Not another "Four More Years Boys"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I have a bad feeling about rugby in NZ and Aus just at the moment although I fully support the NZRU in their stance re sponsorship at future RWCs.
Do we have the clout to stare down the IRB?
If we dont then we will be the outsiders with the major nations and neither NZ nor Aus has the money to "stand alone".
So an expanded NPC in which we are allowed to play: sounds fanbloodytastic for a tragic but I doubt it woul be sustainable.
So there's always the NRL to save us........

Once again am with you re: half arsed regionalism. There was a thread on Gwlad the other day asking what was significant about the number 1950. - Number of paying customers at Cardiff city Stadium to watch Blues.

I really don't see how the Australian model is sustainable either- just chasing cash through Super rugby and international matches played in half arsed locations. There's almost a complete disconnect between club and franchise. Clubs I watch are completely amateur. To get four grades out every saturday 'specially for away games is a minor miracle

R

Rugby Nick

I have a bad feeling about rugby in NZ and Aus just at the moment although I fully support the NZRU in their stance re sponsorship at future RWCs.
Do we have the clout to stare down the IRB?
If we dont then we will be the outsiders with the major nations and neither NZ nor Aus has the money to "stand alone".
So an expanded NPC in which we are allowed to play: sounds fanbloodytastic for a tragic but I doubt it woul be sustainable.
So there's always the NRL to save us........

It confuses me how there is so much financial difficulties in NZ rugby. What is the average attendance for the teams in the super 15? Surely they get a fair wad of cash for sponsorship as they are brands that are watched world wide?

Do the NZRU make money or lose it in an average year (I'm aware of the current year but obviously that is a one off)?

With some privatisation allowing sub int players to be paid from the clubs, with the NZRU/competition fees bankrolling the central contracts for int players (say 30 ot so) wouldn't that be more sustainable?

Sorry for focus on Nz, just using them as that was who the article I read was about.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Exactly - that wrap around movement Samoa did against South Africa did more good for the game than any amount of rolling mauls by "Tier 1" teams. The ball just seemed to stop in the air and waited for the 5/8 to collect it - brilliant. The P.I teams have done more for rugby than what they sometimes get credit for - these moments of brilliance turn into $, it's just not as obvious.
Steady, Leinster and Ireland have been using the wrap around for nearly 2 years now, not seen that much in this RWC YET. That said Islanders are great for the game.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Several threads on this site mention the ARU is bleeding cash and have been since they decided to sink all their $$$s into the upper tiers. We don't get a cent. All done by fundraising by and within the club. I think that the most successful business model is the Irish strange thing to say in these times!) but the cash down here all comes from the teev and theyre broke. that's why we get all this half-arsed stuff banging on about NH vs SH. All about the cash mun.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Several threads on this site mention the ARU is bleeding cash and have been since they decided to sink all their $$$s into the upper tiers. We don't get a cent. All done by fundraising by and within the club. I think that the most successful business model is the Irish strange thing to say in these times!) but the cash down here all comes from the teev and theyre broke. that's why we get all this half-arsed stuff banging on about NH vs SH. All about the cash mun.

What's the Irish model?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=22.213579,-159.474049

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Steady, Leinster and Ireland have been using the wrap around for nearly 2 years now, not seen that much in this RWC YET. That said Islanders are great for the game.

... well then I look forward to seeing Ireland perform that same movement this weekend, under the pressure of "sudden death". Should I hold my breath? Having said that, Ireland is my second team so good on them, love to see them do well. BTW, Mark Ella and Michael Hawker did a good version of it back in the 1980's.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
... well then I look forward to seeing Ireland perform that same movement this weekend, under the pressure of "sudden death". Should I hold my breath? Having said that, Ireland is my second team so good on them, love to see them do well. BTW, Mark Ella and Michael Hawker did a good version of it back in the 1980's.

And lynagh when he bumped hawker for the grand slam tests....soft hands

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=22.217916,-159.495011

120kg Winger

Bob McCowan (2)
I agree. The money spent on Australia A tours would be better spent of grass roots competition where it will go a lot further.

Not if your "Australia A" side comes from the grassroots. Bring back rep matches for clubs then pick the players from there. These blokes would give anything just to get the chance to "tour for Australia" Costs are reduced.

Rugby Union's current fixation of building a thousand different structures outside the exisiting club competitions retards development and wastes a truckload of money

Status
Not open for further replies.