• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

November Internationals not involving Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Good to see aussie's involved in the games playing well...Taquele and Luke showing we have some other wing options in the wing (pardon the pun).

Sam Carter also was pretty involved in everything.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
USARugger for US national rugby coach!!!

It's very frustrating because I personally know several guys who have done incredibly good work at Club/University level here who are either completely ignored by USAR for political reasons or can't seem to get a gig beyond working with the U-20's.

Not sure if USAR is feeling particularly gun-shy after the Tolkin years (not that there weren't many, many folks who could have predicted the outcome of his time with the Eagles before it happened) but having what's effectively a part-time head coach surely isn't the solution, surely not when it's John fucking Mitchell. The Eagles don't need the macho drinking culture bullshit he's brought to sides in the past - they need to learn how to kick, scrummage, and execute their 242 structure much better than they were last night.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ireland (83.67) will overtake Wales (80.97) at fifth when the World Rankings are updated & be within striking distance of South Africa (84.85). Australia (86.85) have increased their lead over SA but will struggle to overtake England (89.49) for second behind NZ (94.57).

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Can only credit Ireland for that one. You kind of expect them to come out fighting like madmen, passionate and tenacious against the AB's. From what I can tell they step up for these games big time.

The thing I liked about them most this time, they played proper bloody rugby for 80 minutes. How many times has this cliche been brought up? :rolleyes:

They turned down easy 3 point opportunities (as you should against the AB's), but not without method. The AB's were weakened at lineout and they attacked it, for reward. Side note: still don't know how they awarded Murhpy's try. They played to their strengths and attacked NZ's weaknesses. They defended well, made contestable kicks and won the bloody things. They kind of beat the AB's at everything they're supposed to be good at. All credit.

As for the AB's, oof. It had to happen, and it's hard to criticise a team that just won a record number of tests, but, they weren't good. Sorely missed the two best locks running around, badly. Kaino, used to running over people, got manhandled, twice. Losing the midfield didn't help. A.Smith had a shocker.
  • Kicking, which they normally do a lot of, was woeful. None were contestable. This is usually a weapon but they were giving up the ball so often that they kicked less, and poorly.
  • Basic skill errors, some under no pressure. A couple of poor decisions when under pressure.
  • Discipline, 12-4 in penalties. Shooting themselves in the foot.
Anyhoo, given the recent history especially, Christchurch '12, Dublin '13 this was probably the easiest loss to ever take as an AB fan. Congrats to Ireland, I'll be cheering on Canada next week though.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
ACR - seems like you are describing the Wallabies over the present test season (except for last night). Kicking, errors and discipline. All very familiar. And the Wallabies last night looked to have taken more than a leaf out of the ABs' playbook. Ball in hand, contestable kicks from which they generally regained possession and errors to a minimum, allowing they missed two or three extra tries through a few simple errors. Scoring a try off first phase turnover ball was very ABsesque.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
As for the AB's, oof. It had to happen, and it's hard to criticise a team that just won a record number of tests, but, they weren't good. .

Yep. ABs weren't good and Ireland was, and the ABs still came back hard in the second half. I am not too bothered by this loss. Ireland and Wales are the two teams I have always said I would not mind losing to.

Guess playing the 4th and 5th choice locks didn't work too well. All credit to Ireland for attacking the weakness masterfully. And at least the trolls on this site won't be able to bitch and moan about Hansen not speaking highly enough of the opposition.

Well done Ireland and I am looking forward to the rematch!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ireland's tribute to Anthony Foley while the haka was in progress, Munster players out front:

image.jpeg

http://www.the42.ie/ireland-new-zealand-chicago-soldier-field-3065716-Nov2016/

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
yes was just reading about the 8 tribute to Anthony Foley....some extra motivation for the Irish....

Also pleased to see the media in New Zealand more gracious about the loss and accepting that Ireland deserved the win.

Probably moreso most accepting at some stage NZ had to have a loss and but understanding manner in which the loss is handled important given where NZ stands in rugby. Added a bit of class to the All Black brand imo.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Congrats to Ireland on what sounds like a really good win.

OK so the record winning streak is over but at least it wasn't the fuckin' poms who did it, we'd be hearing about it for donkeys if it were whereas I reckon the Irish will relish the win without being dicks about it.

Also I kinda don't mind that Ireland have finally joined the list of countries who've beaten the AB, by my reckoning I'm 3/8 Irish & I've always had a soft spot for them rugby-wise.

I actually didn't think anyone would have been able to stop you guys from getting the seven wins you needed to get the record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
BaBas game here,

Cheers mate.

I truly hope the Tahs can use big Taqele effectively like that next year.

Springboks look very unorganised away from the set piece, against a scratch side they had no penetration at all in attack.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
It's very frustrating because I personally know several guys who have done incredibly good work at Club/University level here who are either completely ignored by USAR for political reasons or can't seem to get a gig beyond working with the U-20's.

Not sure if USAR is feeling particularly gun-shy after the Tolkin years (not that there weren't many, many folks who could have predicted the outcome of his time with the Eagles before it happened) but having what's effectively a part-time head coach surely isn't the solution, surely not when it's John fucking Mitchell. The Eagles don't need the macho drinking culture bullshit he's brought to sides in the past - they need to learn how to kick, scrummage, and execute their 242 structure much better than they were last night.

Hiring John Mitchell is the equivalent of the Western Force taking Michael Foley and expecting a different outcome to all the examples they have shown before. At least Foley was a great forwards coach, Mitchell - I've never understood why he keeps getting hired.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Springboks also making some additions, Jesse Kriel heading home with a leg injury, replaced by Rohan Janse van Rensburg (YTF wasn't he there in the first place? I'm guessing quotas) & the foreign legion arriving:

Willem Alberts, Johan Goosen, Bryan Habana, Elton Jantjies, Steven Kitshoff, Willie le Roux, Vincent Koch, Lionel Mapoe, Franco Mostert, JP Petersen, Warren Whiteley.

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/janse-van-rensburg-promoted-to-bok-squad/

Status
Not open for further replies.