• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC 2nd Semi - Queensland Country v western force

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well, at this stage it doesn't look like that Spirit of Gavrilova thing is panning out, but QLD has frankly been much better even allowing for the yellow cards.

Oh well. All you can say as a sandgroper is say well played to the victors, reminisce fondly to yourself about the Eagles' triumph and start getting excited for the Popovic era.

Good luck against Fiji, guys.

Hell dont give up. 5 min to score and take thing to O/T for another score. it's not over.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So Deegan gets picked out when Hamish Stewart is clearly having a shocker.

Stewart's poor conversions is the only thing keeping the WF in the game at this stage.

the majority have been from the sideline. Prior's nice and close.

Stewart clearly outplaying Deegan.

Two young locks have been exeptional too while McDermott has been fantastic from the bench.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Mind you there wasn't an opposing jump of any substance and I thought that meant play on.

Stewart was more accurate with everything in first half though. McDermott has been great but I'd be looking to get him doing more delivery. His ball running has been outstanding.

Tuttle - Stewart - Duncan was looking very good.

Game Qld.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
OK it's done, here is my biggest gripe.

Describing Force as "a professional team". I have no problem with this in NRC. But I STILL have a MASSIVE gripe that Force are not playing Super. I am not going to forgive that. Ever.

On a more positive note, easily the two most enjoyable games of rugby I have watched this year (enjoyable means I have to have some buy in to the teams playing) have been Force and Country. [Sorry City!]

Plenty to like as a Qld-er from the game today.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The semi’s so far sum up for me on how good has this years nrc been! If could just sort out woeful nsw performances (which is absolute disgrace as biggest rugby state) and imagine other sides added for the future eg world rugby sponsored Samoa this could be the basis of nAtional rugby domestic competition many have looking for.

In a perfect world RA, WR (World Rugby) and Forrest would be able to sort out all the relevant issues and work together to push the game forward in this country and region. Imagine if we had a competition featuring the 4 Super Rugby plus the Force alongside Western Sydney. Fiji and Samoa. Could even look at bringing in a couple Japanese teams along the lines of WSR Rugby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
OK it's done, here is my biggest gripe.

Describing Force as "a professional team". I have no problem with this in NRC. But I STILL have a MASSIVE gripe that Force are not playing Super. I am not going to forgive that. Ever.

On a more positive note, easily the two most enjoyable games of rugby I have watched this year (enjoyable means I have to have some buy in to the teams playing) have been Force and Country. [Sorry City!]

Plenty to like as a Qld-er from the game today.
nah dru as super rugby flawed model and twiggy leading a push for something better whether World Series or hybrid...and nobody would not disagree the NRC been richer for forces involvement

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
QLDC looked more composed and a lot less rushed in how they went about it particularly in the wet and deserved the right to play next week. Good game overall. They've got a hell of a task at hand for next week though. Fiji in Fiji are a completely different proposition than on the road. Especially with what's likely to be a large and vocal crowd behind them.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
nah dru as super rugby flawed model and twiggy leading a push for something better whether World Series or hybrid.and nobody would not disagree the NRC been richer for forces involvement

It didn't have to be that way.

Thanks Force, not just a phoenix out of ash, much more than that I think. Thanks guys for sticking with it and hanging in the NRC.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
the majority have been from the sideline. Prior's nice and close.

Stewart clearly outplaying Deegan.

Two young locks have been exeptional too while McDermott has been fantastic from the bench.

Maybe, but a top-class goal kicker should be at least able to nail half those kicks plus all of the easy ones, and if your primary goal kicker is having an off day any starting side should have at least one player in reserve who can take over.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Longbottom must surely be on the radar for wallaby contention. Probably not enough for spring tour selection but if can kick on next year would be in the mix

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It didn't have to be that way.

Thanks Force, not just a phoenix out of ash, much more than that I think. Thanks guys for sticking with it and hanging in the NRC.
I think we will end up with a better result personally as otherwise the force might be part of something ordinary if stayed in super rugby as opposed to something great as twiggy,s team IMHO led the push and agitation for something better whether that be World Series rugby, a hybrid or a mix in the future....

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)

Just a "playing players out of position" gag. Apparently not as good a gag as I thought!

Seriously though, I've got to think that if Longbottom was a serious Wallabies prospect he'd either have been picked before he left for England, or moves would have been made to get him back to Super Rugby years ago. He might well be one of the best pure scrummaging props in the country, but maybe that's not enough these days.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Maybe, but a top-class goal kicker should be at least able to nail half those kicks plus all of the easy ones, and if your primary goal kicker is having an off day any starting side should have at least one player in reserve who can take over.

His goal kicking has improved this season but he had an off day in tough conditions. The back up (Tuttle) went off early.

In the end I think Stewart’s kicking game in the general play went a fair way to winning the game.

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just a "playing players out of position" gag. Apparently not as good a gag as I thought!

Seriously though, I've got to think that if Longbottom was a serious Wallabies prospect he'd either have been picked before he left for England, or moves would have been made to get him back to Super Rugby years ago. He might well be one of the best pure scrummaging props in the country, but maybe that's not enough these days.
yeh clearly one of best scrummagers but yes is his work in open play which is why even myself saids not likely spring tour candidate...but at same time probably more on par with most pressing whilst scrummage ability top...if could make open play on hit ups and defence more prominent yes he would reach the goal of wallaby selection..like I said on the radar but agree needs more still on the other stuff outside of the scrum to get to the next level but let's also not discount that being a strong scrummager is the minimum entry requirement for wallaby selection...

Status
Not open for further replies.