• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
From the RugbyWA website:

"All games will be FREE to attend, with sausage sizzles, activities for the kids and Junior Rugby being played before hand. We’ve got loads of great prizes on offer and as always you can’t beat watching rugby on the hill with your friends and family. Bring a picnic blanket, or try and win one of ours!"

On Saturday they had an air cannon firing merchandise into the crowd and that had kids and parents alike scrambling for prizes. (Upping the excitement and improving our juniors aerial skills.)

They are also appointing a "Junior Captain" each week to run on with the team and social media engagement seems far better this year across both their official channels and the community rugby sites.

From what I have seen thus far, there has been a step up in promotion at the local level from RugbyWA.

I do think there needs to be more on a national level though. We are still waiting for a worthy successor for the "You don't know me - yet" video.

Honestly, that "You don't know me - yet" ad was the last great piece of marketing the game has come up with. Which leads me to this thought. Why not look to reuse shoot that exact same ad but with the current next generation. Could then cut in some action shots of them.

Also, and I should have lead with this, but it's great to see Rugby WA running those events. I noticed 3 separate Rugby pitches at UWA. Which suggests room for exapansion of the games being plaayed if they are not being utilised yet. But, nonetheless great to see. I only saw a notice about the free entry.

G_Beard

Stan Wickham (3)
It is not reflected in the intensity of the matches, there is no passion even for the players which means the quality isn't as high as it is meant to be! Rob Simmons didn't look like he wanted to be there today, if he was playing for his club I doubt that would be the case.
Then you wanted to be at the Spirit game. Clubs were there cheering their players. The hits put in showed intensity. The weather threaten to pour and yet a good crowd. The players being met on the field after the game by a fairly large group of family, friends and supporters.
If anything, that shows that rugby is wanted in WA

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
HA!!! My info was good. A poster on the t2 forum posted about this about 6 weeks ago. Also memtioned the FRFU being behind a push for a combined Island team to be based out of Auckland and playing games in the Islands.

I would like it if this team was based in Sydney for cost reasons, but I suppose if World Rugby subsidises this it won't be too bad.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Clever move.

Nowhere near the same issues with money, travel and competitiveness as there would be in Super Rugby. Hopefully boosting the profile of the NRC. Smart use of World Rugby dollars. And the coup de grace is that the NRC doesn't overlap with the 7s season, so most of those players are potentially available.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Clever move.

Nowhere near the same issues with money, travel and competitiveness as there would be in Super Rugby. Hopefully boosting the profile of the NRC. Smart use of World Rugby dollars. And the coup de grace is that the NRC doesn't overlap with the 7s season, so most of those players are potentially available.

Absolutely, if the 7s guys are centrally contracted you'd take advantage of it.

T

Tip

These games against Fiji could actually turn a profit for some of these teams! It's not out of the realms of possibility to imagine 12k+ fans at Ballymore for City v Fiji if advertised well with the Fiji community

I really hope this works out, as it could be the first step towards professional franchises in the islands. Hopefully Samoa & Tonga can follow suit.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Non Qld fans maybe missing some of the "how NRC can be pushed from a Super Rugby franchise"

I couldnt find a way to directly link the vid cast, so try the site, scroll down to latest vids, click on "Inside NRC - Episode 2".

http://www.redsrugby.com.au

Then if your Super Rugby team isnt doing something similar, get on the horn and say "hey blokes, check this out, where's ours?"

QRU/Reds have done some stuff really crap. But not linking to grass roots, Premier, and NRC. In that KPI they are "performing beyond all expectations"

And I cant wait for Brisbane and Q Country this weekend. Home games are at any rate being streamed.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
These games against Fiji could actually turn a profit for some of these teams! It's not out of the realms of possibility to imagine 12k+ fans at Ballymore for City v Fiji if advertised well with the Fiji community

I really hope this works out, as it could be the first step towards professional franchises in the islands. Hopefully Samoa & Tonga can follow suit.

Absolutely. Could be huge games for the Rams as well with what I understand is the largest Fijian community outside of Fiji residing in Western Sydney. I think they'll be a wonderful addition to the competition and if they prove successful I'd like to see the possibility of a Samoan squad added in the future.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Will Bill Pulver get any kudos for this from the usual claque of backbiters and professional complainers?

Reactions: Tip

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Second week in a row that there's been an NRC game on and Fox have run a Mitre 10 match from NZ instead of the NRC game.

I presume that they haven't budgeted for the cameras and commentators at extra NRC matches.

A pity, but I understand that it might be an economic issue.

This is not meant as a criticism of anyone at either Fox or the ARU.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Second week in a row that there's been an NRC game on and Fox have run a Mitre 10 match from NZ instead of the NRC game.

I presume that they haven't budgeted for the cameras and commentators at extra NRC matches.

A pity, but I understand that it might be an economic issue.

This is not meant as a criticism of anyone at either Fox or the ARU.

I'd imagine that would be the case. The Mitre 10 Cup is provided to them at what you'd imagine would be minimal cost while they have to pay for the broadcast of the NRC. But still at least we now have two live broadcast games and the streams. Progress. Hopefully in the not too distant future they can be persuaded to broadcast all four games.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No doubt they would be persuaded if the viewing numbers were sufficient. On the topic of the streams, I have been impressed with the quality of the picture. Camera coverage and commentary could be improved.

21mmstuds

Stan Wickham (3)
General observation, it seems that there is a lot of senior/more experienced players lobbing into the NRC this season, is it beginning to get reco, and take hold?