• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
General observation, it seems that there is a lot of senior/more experienced players lobbing into the NRC this season, is it beginning to get reco, and take hold?

You'd hope so, probably not being a world cup year as well helps. I'm pleased to see a couple of the Wallaby squad members being released to NRC teams this weekend - I see that Skelton is playing for the Rams and Slipper for Qld Country (along with Simmons). There's a few others who would probably benefit from playing some matches but it would be difficult for the NRC teams to get continuity if they kept getting players dropped in on them.

Reg, do you know why Jake Strachan isn't in the City squad this week? I thought he looked pretty good last week (and think he was the guy for Sunnybank I saw playing against Easts this season who I was impressed with), I understand bringing McIntyre back but thought Strachan would be on the bench at least.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
General observation, it seems that there is a lot of senior/more experienced players lobbing into the NRC this season, is it beginning to get reco, and take hold?

Possibly, but remember that last year clashed with RWC, so the NRC was almost invisible to most.

From the games I've seen so far, it seems to me that the overall standard of games is the best it's been.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Possibly, but remember that last year clashed with RWC, so the NRC was almost invisible to most.

From the games I've seen so far, it seems to me that the overall standard of games is the best it's been.

And that's the most important aspect. The continual improvement of the overall standards of play year on year on. We need the NRC to develop until it is of the same overall standard as the Mitre 10 Cup and hopefully beyond. That will have a tremendous effect on the game both in Super Rugby above but potentially even Club Rugby below. Players with an NRC returning to Club Rugby bringing that experience with them will invariably lift the standards at that level.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
That will have a tremendous effect on the game both in Super Rugby above but potentially even Club Rugby below. Players with an NRC returning to Club Rugby bringing that experience with them will invariably lift the standards at that level.

Correct, which is the logical purpose of the competition. And connection with the levels above and below should also increase interest from the rugby community and more broadly.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Correct, which is the logical purpose of the competition. And connection with the levels above and below should also increase interest from the rugby community and more broadly.

In the genral forum there's the thread 'How to fix the Wallabies'. The answer is partly my above statement regarding the NRC's flow on effects above and below it. Tougher, higher quality Club Rugby game leads to a higher standard of NRC play and thus better prepared and developed players for Super Rugby and the Wallabies. It just requires a bit of patience but if its current trajectory continues then come 2020 things should be vastly improved if not before. Now all the ARU needs to do is market the bloody thing.

The other other aspect to the solution is participation.

T

TOCC

It will also take a bit of time for people to develop faith in the quality of the competition, the first 2 years it was a bit of an unknown so I think there may have been a bit of reluctance to place much emphasis on the quality of performances..

But when you have rounds like this week where you have numerous Wallabies and Super Rugby players getting outperformed by lesser know club or wider squad players, it must start to raise some eyebrows.. I don't think it will be long before we will see a NRC player promoted straight to the Wallabies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It will also take a bit of time for people to develop faith in the quality of the competition, the first 2 years it was a bit of an unknown so I think there may have been a bit of reluctance to place much emphasis on the quality of performances..

But when you have rounds like this week where you have numerous Wallabies and Super Rugby players getting outperformed by lesser know club or wider squad players, it must start to raise some eyebrows.. I don't think it will be long before we will see a NRC player promoted straight to the Wallabies.

I've haven't seen a single Wallaby dominate in a single game yet. Could argue perhaps in the Viking/NSWC game but it's neither here nor there. Which consodering they are Test players they should be an obvious vlass or two above. Which is a testament to 1) the speed and physicality of the competition, 2) the application of the players in it .i.e. hunger.

I'd like an honest assessment of what they think in comparison to Super Rugby.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I've haven't seen a single Wallaby dominate in a single game yet. Could argue perhaps in the Viking/NSWC game but it's neither here nor there. Which consodering they are Test players they should be an obvious vlass or two above. Which is a testament to 1) the speed and physicality of the competition, 2) the application of the players in it .i.e. hunger.

I'd like an honest assessment of what they think in comparison to Super Rugby.

was just thinking that. Frisby I think has probably been the best at least had the biggest impact? Slipper was pretty good though.

Rob Simmons not so. Hiding on the wing it seemed. Not the type of game MC would be looking for.

T

TOCC

Simmons, Toby Smith, Skelton, Speight, Carter, Alaatoa, Timani were all outplayed by their counterparts..

Arnold and Slipper were both quite industrious and Frisby was decent without really excelling. In terms of locks I thought Hanigan, Tui, Buchannan and Rodda were the better locks for the round with Arnold also doing well off the bench.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I said this in the match thread, but Ala'alatoa is not a tighthead......

He should return to the other side of the scrum so the Vikings can field a front row of Ala'alatoa, Abel and Makin, with Robertson joining the Wallabies bench next weekend.........

But all of the Vikings' more experienced players that were thrown into the starting lineup this week did not perform better than the players they replaced.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
In perhaps a defence of the Wallaby players, I don't mind if they keep a little petrol in the tank in the off-week between tests playing NRC.

I want to see these guys at full throttle against the Saffers.

The players who got onto the field against the ABs did put the energy into their work last week.

Yeah, they were outclassed in terms of teamwork and skills brought to bear, but that's what needs to be worked on and, in some ways, regained.

It's also why Cheika will earn his money from here on. Forget the whole RWC. Everything is now back to zero.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
In perhaps a defence of the Wallaby players, I don't mind if they keep a little petrol in the tank in the off-week between tests playing NRC.

I want to see these guys at full throttle against the Saffers.

The players who got onto the field against the ABs did put the energy into their work last week.

Yeah, they were outclassed in terms of teamwork and skills brought to bear, but that's what needs to be worked on and, in some ways, regained.

It's also why Cheika will earn his money from here on. Forget the whole RWC. Everything is now back to zero.

If I were Cheika there would be several young guys I'd be inclined to call into the squad after this weekend's NRC not only as a means of rewarding their efforts but effectively to put a rocket up the current squad. Give these guys the opportunity to push the incumbents out of their comfort zones and send the message that there's a generation of hungry young blokes wanting their shot and if you don't lift your game they're going to get it.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
You can only "put a rocket up" so many times.

To borrow another saying, it becomes like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.

Cheika has already delved into player turnover, only to call back the dropped player the following week. Sure, blood new players as needed to keep developing the team. But it's almost like he's starting to panic because he doesn't know what else to do.

The time for blaming players and refs is just about over. The players are the players. He needs to work with them to get them to improve. I reckon he needs to be tweaking his game-plan. It's like a one-trick pony that's been found out.

But I digress.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I've just finished listening to podcast 228 'Rispuct' featuring Peter Playford. After listening to the guy I have come to a conclusion on him and that's I quite like the bloke. His thoughts on the NRC and Club Rugby for that matter are clear and very reasonable. This is a man with experience as a professional player, Club/NRC coach and now administrator. Doesn't sugar coat anything.

I absolutely agree that the ARU needs to be working its butt off to transform the NRC into a net revenue earner and that ideally any revenue generated should go to paying players in the competition.

I also like his thoughts on Mick Byrne. From what I have read about his hiring he's in a role that isn't solely Wallabies based. If not then he should be. Get him down to the Clubs as Playford suggests and have him provide them with a gambit of drills and standards and use his collective human capital to help raise the skills level from there upwards.

Good thoughts from what appears to be a good bloke. Give him all the apples he wants (he seems to have an affinity for them).