• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Reckon the Rising are a shoe in against the Eagles. The Rising forwards will be too strong.
In the other semi, the Rays will bring home the bacon.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Reckon the Rising are a shoe in against the Eagles. The Rising forwards will be too strong.
In the other semi, the Rays will bring home the bacon.

No Ned Hanigan is a big loss but that Eagles forward pack has been great all year.

I think this game will be an absolute cracker. Robertson and Latu are big inclusions.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
No Ned Hanigan is a big loss but that Eagles forward pack has been great all year.

I think this game will be an absolute cracker. Robertson and Latu are big inclusions.

I think the Rising pack is a bit better around the park, three 7s in the backrow, but will get beaten at the scrum and might be at the lineout too. If you have the right gameplan it's easy to capitalise on this and grind a win.

On paper the Rising backs are probably very slightly better as a whole, but they sure haven't looked it on the field.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
WOOT WOOT!

IN a major boost for rugby in the Pacific Islands, Fiji will join the National Rugby Championship in 2017.

As revealed by Fox Sports News, the Australian Rugby Union will make the official announcement on Friday afternoon that the island nation will join the expanded nine-team competition in 2017.

It’s understood Fijian Prime Minister Frank Bainimarama flew into Sydney on Thursday to get the deal over the line, which will see them take part in the competition for four-years and be funded by World Rugby.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/a...s/news-story/ed5f5a4df2a27f5110605500c3f503fd

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I just hope the subsidies run both ways, it won't be cheap to fly a team to Fiji and accommodate them.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
This is an outstanding development for the third tier of rugby in Australia. If it's successful we could possibly look to Samoa and Tonga joining this competition. Well done to AR getting Fiji to join the Oz comp rather than the Kiwi one.

Are all Fiji's home games going to be in Fiji?

T

Train Without a Station

I'm not a huge fan.

I think the focus should be on developing the product as a viable commercial product that can produce the revenue required to adequately pay players.

I don't think this helps this.

Based on the players who will be playing for Fiji, I don't think these helps from a development point of view. Some of their test players like Ben Volavola were not NRC stand outs. We are likely to see the level below that.

I know people talk about Fiji being popular with fans, but looking at Wallabies tests, there was less interest than Italy tests (for example Canberra tests were held for each opponent 1 year appart) for Fiji tests. Looking at the numbers this does not actually appear to be true.

Good for any benefit it can provide to Fiji but I'm a firm believer that you can't pour from an empty cup. Australia will be able to provide greater benefit to Fiji over a longer term if they get themselves in a good position first.

I don't think it's terrible but I just don't see it as this amazing positive that everybody else does.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't think this is a huge positive for us - it's just better than neutral. But, it's sure not a negative and it's a massive positive for Fiji.

We lose no fans and a very small number of NRC standard players from this (the Fijians kicking around Aus will still be there).

We gain an extra round of games (likely to affect the TV bottom line at least a bit locally in a positive way) and we have a new nation to sell TV rights into (likely to net a little bit of extra cash).

All this on World Rugby's coin. Not bad.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'm not a huge fan.

I think the focus should be on developing the product as a viable commercial product that can produce the revenue required to adequately pay players.

Based on the players who will be playing for Fiji, I don't think these helps from a development point of view. Some of their test players like Ben Volavola were not NRC stand outs. We are likely to see the level below that.

I know people talk about Fiji being popular with fans, but looking at Wallabies tests, there was less interest than Italy tests (for example Canberra tests were held for each opponent 1 year appart) for Fiji tests. Looking at the numbers this does not actually appear to be true.

Good for any benefit it can provide to Fiji but I'm a firm believer that you can't pour from an empty cup. Australia will be able to provide greater benefit to Fiji over a longer term if they get themselves in a good position first.

I don't think it's terrible but I just don't see it as this amazing positive that everybody else does.

We are likely going to see the Fiji Warriors. The same team that is currently competing the the Americas Pacific Challenge.

In terms of developingthe NRC's commercial side I don't see how a team from a nation that likes to play in the same vein as most of the NRC sides is going to hurt this.

N

NTT

I'm not a huge fan.

Over the time I've been posting on here i have outlined my vision for the expansion of the NRC, potential ways of funding it through a minor restructure of how the franchises operate all while not harming what we already have in place. The only argument against what i proposed was the repetition of an economics 101 principle, no actual potential plan was raised.
The ARU have found a way to expand the NRC while receiving funding from an outside source which has the potential to open more funding from said source.

The question i have for you Mr TWAS is this. How would expand the NRC, fund it and not harm the franchises, while also funding more grass roots?
Any answer that is not about maintaining the status quo is appreciated.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)

There aren't many Fijians in Canberra though, and Fiji were seen as easy beats. There's a lot more Fijians in Sydney and Brisbane and they'll likely be a reasonably competitive team at NRC level. The Fiji Warriors (locally based players) beat Argentina XV (the Argentinian A team) in Argentina last year for example. I doubt the NRC teams are that much better, but we'll soon find out I guess.

Also I don't think looking at Wallabies games is the best indicator. At the moment most NRC games are getting small crowds of 1-2k and while most rugby people acknowledge it's pretty entertaining rugby, it's still struggling to create genuine fans, i.e. those that really care about their team winning or losing.

A benefit of adding this Fijian team is that it'll bring fans to NRC games that really care about their team winning! Even if that's just a few hundred at most games it creates a bit of atmosphere and maybe helps develop a bit of tribalism for other teams in response. Given World Rugby backing I don't think there are any negatives to this move. I'd agree it's not some huge shot in the arm for Australian rugby, but I think it's definitely a positive.

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
@TWAS, I would suggest that including Fiji could help develop a “viable commercial product”. Potential positives include:
  1. “International” cachet to the NRC which at the moment is poorly served by its “third tier” tag.
  2. Interest factor – Fiji might not generate monster crowds but it will surely provide some spice to the marketing mix;
  3. Greater engagement with another sizable community focused in geographic areas the ARU need to target;
  4. Another 8 games, giving us more product to sell;
I’m keen (particularly with World Rugby picking up the tab:) ).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
@TWAS, I would suggest that including Fiji could help develop a “viable commercial product”. Potential positives include:
  1. “International” cachet to the NRC which at the moment is poorly served by its “third tier” tag.
  2. Interest factor – Fiji might not generate monster crowds but it will surely provide some spice to the marketing mix;
  3. Greater engagement with another sizable community focused in geographic areas the ARU need to target;
  4. Another 8 games, giving us more product to sell;
I’m keen (particularly with World Rugby picking up the tab:) ).
And subsidised by world rugby so no downside financially but debate about how much upside.

Seriously ''twas you need to revisit what glass you drink out of...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spaldo

Frank Row (1)
Really, really happy about this - great for the game here, and that World Rugby is picking up the tab is just tops!

But it got me thinking about how to grow the game, given that any extra money from broadcasters is immediately swallowed up on keeping existing players (we have to compete against the other codes and the French).

We need the game to grow, and while I'm super-stoked that a Fijian team is joining the NRC, we can get more out of this. The #1 reason stated for rugby's status as the fourth code is lack of FTA.

Someone with contacts needs to plant the seed at SBS that all Fiji games need to be live on FTA (outside the city it is being played - similar to the way league works - don't want to diminish the attendance at the game). One game per week (minus the bye) of the Fijian team vs every other team in the comp, simulcast with Fox, but paid for by SBS

The angle? The SBS is the broadcaster for minority and ethnic interests; they provide soccer - of many different flavors, they popularized cycling in Australia, and provide news in many languages. "Australia is home to the largest Fijian population in the world outside Fiji itself." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fijian_Australians)

We need to hit them up. If you know someone at SBS, a mate of a mate, plant the seed. It will grow.