• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC RD2: Sydney Rays vs Canberra Vikings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Have the Vikings given away a penalty outside a couple for not releasing on the ground?

The Rays are making them look better than they are, but they've been clinical.........

And now Taliauli waltzes over for his second try....... I assume Hawera will convert this (he hasn't looked like missing all game):

Edit: I jinxed him - Hawera hits the post!

Vikings 47 - Syd 7

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rays turn it over at the tackle, a miracle offload from Rona and the Rays go up the field to score a well earned try.........

The attempted conversion sums up the Rays day:

Vikings 47 - 12

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oakman-Hunt yellow carded for a "no arms" late hit in an attempted charge down........ not really much in it, but probably fair enough.

He probably should've grabbed him by the neck.........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Vikings have cleared the bench, and the Rays are starting to get a few things working.........

Burey accelerates through a gap and scores.

Another missed easy conversion.........

Vikings 47 - Rays 19

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Vikings were good with what you would expect from a semi professional side - not spectacular but fluid and good to watch. Muirhead for me in terms of his pace was very good for me. Appreciate more seeing him live how much speed and pace off the mark he has and ability to accelerate through gaps.

Rays were dreadful and yep I was there at the ground watching but at least able to watch good rugby from Vikings.

What particularly struck me is how unsighted Simmons was and equally Rona was. Rona showed to me why he was never a serious 13 Wallaby option and to be frank he really was very underwhelming to involve himself in the game, as pretty much uninvolved and with his occasional involvement was pretty uninspiring.

Going to be a long season for the Rays...and hopefully some improvement will come through as they were pretty uninspiring to watch, and to be honest probably attending future games regardless as a) local to me b) other sides they play in NRC like the Vikings well worth the $10 admission price!

There are lot of good sides in the NRC but also some ones way underperforming. Brisbane City and now Sydney Rays those underperforming.

Vikings good....Force good....QLD Country very good.....Drua sublime....Rising...well given how Brisbane city performed against Drua lets give them more time. NSW Country - pls lets hope they perform better than Sydney Rays....

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Quite a few areas where the Vikings can yet improve, and they will need to if they want to be in the running for the finals.

First, they need a proper No 7 fetcher who can at least put pressure on opposition ball at the breakdown and win three or four turnovers per match. Oakman-Hunt isn't a conventional 7 and should be moved to 6 where his aggression in defense would be better utilised. Where is Angus Allen? Or is there another JID No 7 who could perform this role. If not, start talking with Perry or Kitone from the SS.

The centre pairing is too much on the light side for this level of game. Ikitau had a pretty good game at 13 but JJH, while I admire his direct running, is a bit soft in defence and is rag dolled every time he runs into contact. It invariably looks like he will be turned over, or held up to force a maul which also would result in a turnover. In any case, he then provides very slow ball for next phase play. Have him on the bench as cover for No 10, but get Simone into 12 asap.

Hawera was close to MOTM, but he pulls too many Quadesque moves for my liking. His little dabs behind the line inside their own 20m area while having a three or four man overlap outside him do my head in. Use the ball a bit more in the backline please Wharanui. Otherwise, he is quite creative and can put players through gaps as well as, or better than, any other No 10 in the competition. And his goal kicking is almost immaculate.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There’s good reason Simmons was unsighted.

He didn’t play.

I'm guessing the reason he was late called into the Wallabies squad will be on the game thread, and I'll go looking in a little while.

However, McCauley did a good impression of him for most of the game; no impact in either defence or attack, until he got into the clear and easily outpaced JJH over about 30m to set up a Rays' try. Just another example of why JJH isn't a starting NO 12 even at this level.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
There you go Rugby Reg - No 4 was in the program as Simmons and no 4 did look a little short but also had head gear on so I could not tell....

Good to know and hence why the player playing no 4 was pretty ordinary and not super rugby standard!!!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm guessing the reason he was late called into the Wallabies squad will be on the game thread, and I'll go looking in a little while.

However, McCauley did a good impression of him for most of the game; no impact in either defence or attack, until he got into the clear and easily outpaced JJH over about 30m to set up a Rays' try. Just another example of why JJH isn't a starting NO 12 even at this level.

I get the impression you're not a fan of JJH?

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
This is the issue- the kid has only played 4 game at 10 in the last two years and is expected to perform at the NRC comp. ridiculous and they need to consider other options.

Thats why the tahs love him ..Foley MKII, kicks the ball seemlessly at every opportunity, did it at schoolboys and hasnt changed.Lots of other options playing shute shield...but you would have to look out side your comfort zone

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Too many short comings for a Super Rugby player, and quite ordinary at No 12 in NRC. Though I do think he'd offer more as a 10.

He’s had two really good games in a row, and he looks to have put on a bit of muscle and isn’t such a pushover......... I’ll be happy with him starting again next match.

Status
Not open for further replies.