• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Rnd 1: NSW Country v Brisbane City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What is with young No 10s in this country. From schoolboys onwards all the way to Super Rugby, there seems to be a preference for the player who just shovels the ball along the backline, and who can kick a bit for touch. Aren't they expected to take the line on themselves? McIntyre, Deegan, Mason, Foley and others just don't look like international 10s (potential or actual).

Spot on.

T

TOCC

NSW Country defence was pretty good, Brisbane City just lacked the ability to get across the line, they are really missing Kerevi, Frisby and Hunt in the backline from previous years. I thought Houston played a good game, was heavily involved and made a lot of good meters and tackle busts, overall a fairly rusty performance from both teams.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Was clicking on fox sports to see what time wallabies game was on and saw they were televising bris vs country so watched the last 20 mins

Sums up the marketing as did not even know fox sports were televising this game. Or another example of poor basic marketing in nrc. Thought I might go to see Rams play at north Sydney oval so go to Rams site to find out the kick off time but they only have 2015 draw loaded and squad for game at north Sydney oval listed but again no time.

Then go to rugby.com.au site and click on the fixture but nope page won't load - so lastly go to Rays site and finally there get the time.

So let's make it as hard as possible for someone to even find when a game is on.if can't even list basic fixtures and times for nrc games than what hope has this competition got..

Absolute joke

All the info you were looking for is contained in the relevant threads on this site RN. Sometimes you just need to look in the right places.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Where the fuck has the skill in Australian Rugby gone? All I've seen so far is meathead Rugby. No wonder we're fucked.

And some huge knock-ons under no pressure. Kellaway for example.

By the way, if our basic skills were okay that would be a great first step. No frills, baby steps. Run, catch, pass, tackle, kick.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I love the fact that GAGR are taking up slack to cover the NRC.

But to defend RN a little, there's still a lack of visibility/info/news/promo via more mainstream outlets, and even social media which should be easy for rugby to do more of for itself. Utilise existing avenues.

Some, like Brisbane City, are doing a fair job but there's room for improvement. Perth Spirit had free entry to their game - Fine. But it might have been better to keep $5 ticketing and perhaps email their existing/recent Force members with a few free tickets to be used at any home game. Whatever the number has dropped to now, it's probably still 10k. Dunno. Give those people some value for their previous support and you might get a bigger crowd as well.

Readers who come to GAGR are already rugby tragics. And that's great.

But I know plenty of genuine rugby people who rely on normal channels rather than specific rugby fan websites. Most would've known the Bledisloe was on. The NRC? Not so much.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
And some huge knock-ons under no pressure. Kellaway for example.

By the way, if our basic skills were okay that would be a great first step. No frills, baby steps. Run, catch, pass, tackle, kick.

I honestly think every player should be sent to play touch in the off season. Learn how to actually handle the damn ball.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I love the fact that GAGR are taking up slack to cover the NRC.

But to defend RN a little, there's still a lack of visibility/info/news/promo via more mainstream outlets, and even social media which should easy for rugby to do more of for itself. Utilise existing avenues.

Some, like Brisbane City, are doing a fair job but there's room for improvement. Perth Spirit had free entry to their game - Fine. But it might have been better to keep $5 ticketing and perhaps email their existing/recent Force members with a few free tickets to be used at any home game. Whatever the number has dropped to now, it's probably still 10k. Dunno. Give those people some value for their previous support and you might get a bigger crowd as well.

Readers who come to GAGR are already rugby tragics. And that's great.

But I know plenty of genuine rugby people who rely on normal channels rather than specific rugby fan websites. Most would've known the Bledisloe was on. The NRC? Not so much.

Rugby is the worst marketed and promoted sport in the country. Truly terrible.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Guys we are covering the shit out of the NRC on our own front page. The draw etc can be found there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks but my point still stands - are they marketing NRC only to those who go to this website.........

If I want to support the RAMS or any other side logically I would have thought I should find this information on their website.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
All the info you were looking for is contained in the relevant threads on this site RN. Sometimes you just need to look in the right places.

No - I expect to find such information on general websites rather than have to log on to this website. Please don't step around the bigger point being made here as this is not a gripe against this website and not my point.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
NSW Country defence was pretty good, Brisbane City just lacked the ability to get across the line, they are really missing Kerevi, Frisby and Hunt in the backline from previous years. I thought Houston played a good game, was heavily involved and made a lot of good meters and tackle busts, overall a fairly rusty performance from both teams.

I will have to re-watch it. I thought we might see more from Houston and Ready, both spoken about as possible Wallabies. Also thought that the Reds front row took a while to get going.

Kuridani did some good work. Talakai has good hands.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Thoroughly enjoyed that game, intensity in defence from both sides was awesome.
For Brisbane, big Tui has wonderful potential, but has to play a lot smarter, Houston was a constant danger, but the bloke I really liked was young Jake Strachan. He's a tough little bugger, has a really good boot, and I though showed great composure under pressure for a teenager in his first game at this level.
For the Eagles I liked the big prop Needs, a hard worker who really gets stuck in in defence, Kellaway showed a lot of class, but fo me MOTM was Hanigan. Big, strong & mobile, made big gains with the ball, works flat out for 80 and is excellent in the line-out.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Thoroughly enjoyed that game, intensity in defence from both sides was awesome.
For Brisbane, big Tui has wonderful potential, but has to play a lot smarter, Houston was a constant danger, but the bloke I really liked was young Jake Strachan. He's a tough little bugger, has a really good boot, and I though showed great composure under pressure for a teenager in his first game at this level.
For the Eagles I liked the big prop Needs, a hard worker who really gets stuck in in defence, Kellaway showed a lot of class, but fo me MOTM was Hanigan. Big, strong & mobile, made big gains with the ball, works flat out for 80 and is excellent in the line-out.

I actually thought Houston was kept relatively quiet for most of the game. I agree about Tui. You could see that his intent was to try and dish up some of the same treatment the Eagles were dishing out in the contact. He just went about it the wrong way on a few occasions as opposed to the Eagles who were putting on a show of how to hit not only hard but largely legally.

I really enjoyed the physicality of Needs. We need a harder edge to our forward play. Hanigan was good, though he killed what would have been a spectacular try. Another player who likes to bring a certain instensity and hardness to his play.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No - I expect to find such information on general websites rather than have to log on to this website. Please don't step around the bigger point being made here as this is not a gripe against this website and not my point.

Nor did I take it as a gripe against GAGR. I know you post regularly to the site so it was intended as a bit of information that is very close at hand. I might have been less direct perhaps, but there is a wealth of news about the NRC here. I've found it to be extremely informative about the competition itself, upcoming games details, selected players and reports on the games. No need to look anywhere else.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Foxsports has been advertising the start of the NRC during their other rugby broadcasts and talking about it in commentary etc. of the rugby shows and match broadcasts.

I agree that all the teams need to do a better job with their social media and websites etc. but clearly they don't actually have the resources to do this well.

There is a fair amount of NRC content on rugby.com.au.

It seems that some fans expect to see the ARU running ads for the NRC on FTA television during episodes of The Block or something.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
If the Wallabies couldn't get someone to sponsor the naming rights of the June Test Series why did they not plug their own products in that naming rights. They could have called it the NRC June test series or the Sydney Sevens June test series. Then it would have been advertised on FTA not just Foxsports.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.