• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Rnd 2: Fiji Drua v Brisbane City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
yeah 10 from last year got a contract to Bordeaux, infact Boredeaux only signed him up to prevent any other club from having him, they dumped him this year without even using him, he now plays for Brive in ProD2. He could have been a great super rugby player this year but fijians aren't really known for their intelligence when it comes to signing contracts..

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
similarity wise, only the fullback, the right winger (daveta) and scrumhalf are the regular backline players from last year, in the front row, the captain, Voka and Hooker, the rest stepped up from local provincial competitions..

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
yeah 10 from last year got a contract to Bordeaux, infact Boredeaux only signed him up to prevent any other club from having him, they dumped him this year without even using him, he now plays for Brive in ProD2. He could have been a great super rugby player this year but fijians aren't really known for their intelligence when it comes to signing contracts..

Ah that's a shame. Fiji really need a better 10 than Ben Volavola at test level. I think Matavesi is much better myself but he never seems to get picked anymore. Is there some issue between him and John McKee?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just started watching and have seen 2 Fijian tries in 2 minutes. The Fijian offloading ability is incredible but the Brisbane defence is horrific.
Yep Fiji sublime and no one should take anything away from that and that indeed showing overdue to involve Fiji in super rugby.

But equally Brisbane city for the talent they have in the side are being put to shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does anyone know how similar the Drua squad is to last year? I think I read the 10 from last year got a contract in France. Guessing some others may have as well.

And I think it's fair to say a few of these guys will get contracts after this tournament.

these are the only guys from last year back this year"

Avete Daveta
Apisalome Waqatabu
Aporosa Tabulawaki
Cyril Reece
Eroni Mawi
Filimoni Seru
Frank Lomani
Joeli Veitayaki
Mosese Ducivaki
Mosese Voka
Peni Naulago
Peni Raidre

Ratu Naisa Naruma

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
Ah that's a shame. Fiji really need a better 10 than Ben Volavola at test level. I think Matavesi is much better myself but he never seems to get picked anymore. Is there some issue between him and John McKee?

no just Josh, but McKee despises the whole Matavesi clan, he even refused to pick Sam Matavesi, a player that was converted from a number 8 to hooker, Fiji desperately needs a hooker and he is the only one we have overseas but mckee refuses to pick him, instead he picked a LOCAL number 8 turned hooker instead who has been crap this year..Josh is a friend of mine, he already thinks mckee will never pick him but he hopes he picks his brother..

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I have to really give lot of credit to Fiji Drua as we always known Fiji to have very good attacking skills but there defence today was equally very good.

Fiji rugby going from strength to strength and really overdue for them not to have a side in Super Rugby or now WSR. You could see them with these opportunities, their national side only further improving in world rugby rankings as they have skills every day you would happily play to watch.

In fairness this also no doubt reflects investment made by World Rugby and others so credit where it is due as they are just blowing me away with the quality of rugby they are displaying here in NRC and hard pressed to not see them as early favourites to win the toast rack.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
no just Josh, but McKee despises the whole Matavesi clan, he even refused to pick Sam Matavesi, a player that was converted from a number 8 to hooker, Fiji desperately needs a hooker and he is the only one we have overseas but mckee refuses to pick him, instead he picked a LOCAL number 8 turned hooker instead who has been crap this year..Josh is a friend of mine, he already thinks mckee will never pick him but he hopes he picks his brother..

Sounds insane. Why does he have such a problem with Josh? I think there's quite a big difference between him and Ben Volavola and it could be the difference between making the world cup quarter finals or not.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
some people say he is obsessed with Ben Volavola, he even traveled to Racing's last game to see Ben play off the bench agaisnt Clermont last week. I find Ben to be mediocre and so does most of fiji but he refuses to give anyone else a run at 10 including Josh or Veitokani (Drua 10)

B

Bobby Sands

some people say he is obsessed with Ben Volavola, he even traveled to Racing's last game to see Ben play off the bench agaisnt Clermont last week. I find Ben to be mediocre and so does most of fiji but he refuses to give anyone else a run at 10 including Josh or Veitokani (Drua 10)

Warpath, based on the players in the Drua side and how well they are going, how many of them do you believe are at Super Rugby level? I look how good Isa Naisarani has been going, and it's great to see Fiji producing bruising/technical forwards and not just wingers.

Rather than just the usual; 'lots of talent, no structure' answer, which I understand is a major issue, what is your current estimation of the local comp in Fiji currently? are the best players being found for overseas contracts? and does Fiji have the nucleus of a good fifteens side moving forward?

Thankyou for your insight ahead of time.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
Warpath, based on the players in the Drua side and how well they are going, how many of them do you believe are at Super Rugby level? I look how good Isa Naisarani has been going, and it's great to see Fiji producing bruising/technical forwards and not just wingers.

Rather than just the usual; 'lots of talent, no structure' answer, which I understand is a major issue, what is your current estimation of the local comp in Fiji currently? are the best players being found for overseas contracts? and does Fiji have the nucleus of a good fifteens side moving forward?

Thankyou for your insight ahead of time.

Last year we had atleast 8 players that could have cracked Super rugby level but bar one (Kali Tawake for the Waratahs), none we actually selected even though ARU allowed each australian super rugby team to pick one player from Drua each (rebels picked Lomani but never used him), some others good players were John Stewart, Apete Daveta, Peceli Nacebe, Mosese Voka, Samu Saqiwa and Apisalome Waqatabu, these players are good enough for super rugby (John Stewart played for Sunwolves in their inaugural year).. This year apart from Lomani, our flyhalf Veitokani is the other best player and I think the Rebels could use him since they currently do not have a 10 backup to To'omua

Local 15's has improved vastly, only issue we still probably have is lineouts, scrummaging has also improved, Fiji were once the 5th best scrummaging team in the south pacific (including nz, aus, samoa and tonga), but we are now the 3rd...the major issue for is over the years has been our players been taken to soon by greedy french clubs and then being lost to rugby, recent example ofcourse is player of the NRC last year , Peceli Nacebe, french Top14 club Bordeaux took him even though 3 australian teams wanted his signature and to make matters worse, they didn't play him in a SINGLE top 14 game last season, they just took him to prevent other clubs from taking him, they "dumped" him this year so that they can afford other players like eto nabuli, semi radradra and seta tamanivalu and now he plays for ProD2 side Brive, this guy could have been a star in super rugby or a star in aviva premiership but alas, our biggest threat is French clubs who don't really care about the players or grooming them (unless they can be capped by france)...

Since 2003, over 300 fijians have traveled to France including over 200+ straight from high schools and ONLY 3 have come on to represent Fiji internationally, the rest were either lost to ProD2 or lower division or to rugby..I nicknamed this trend the "Rugby Blackbirding" by France as they always take advantage of the fact that nearly all the fijian players are somewhat uneducated or close to illiterate so they make contracts they can't understand and they promise a lot of money and then take advantage of them. World Rugby refuses to do anything about this so we will keep losing good players to french clubs, we don't get many star talents and then to lose them in such ways is even more painful and this is why we prefer more of our boys playing in Australia or NZ or even end up representing those countries instead of being lost to all in france..

B

Bobby Sands

Thankyou so much for this note. This is a complete tragedy and I didn't realise the situation was this bad.

Hopefully the Drua win the comp, and this paves the way for a Super Rugby team.

Status
Not open for further replies.