• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Rnd 5: NSW Country Eagles v Perth Spirit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Pfitzy has the command!

WTF happened here? Bloke goes to grab a coffee and the lunatics take over the asylum! :mad:

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Spirit just can't string the phases together today. Mostly individual efforts. Eagles well disciplined. Though Berry missed a couple of yellow cards in Pfitzy's esteemed opinion.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Strong Perth scrum. Would've been nice to see them get the last score to gain a BP but (as so often happens) was not to be and it goes the other way with Hanigan securing a three-try BP for the Eagles.

Deserved win and Eagles maintain clear favouritism for this title.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Just watched the highlights video.

What the fuck.

Gordon looked like a fully-grown man playing against u7s out there. Breaking the line at will.

Seems very promising if his regular form is anything like that.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Review - Eagles v Spirit - current, future and potential Tahs

It's a few years since I've been to Concord, and probably a few years since the state government provided funding for upkeep - the pitch looked in poor condition and the grounds aren't fairing much better. Maybe the plan is to let the white elephant slowly die, though it seems such a waste. I remember a few Sydney RU grand finals back in the early 90s - Campo blitzing the Rats, and Highlanders getting over George Gregan's Canberra Kookaburras in the wet both stand out as fond memories. Enough with the self-indulgent nostalgia, on to the game! I've given myself the benefit of the replay as you inevitably miss things at the ground when there's no replay facility.

Paddy Ryan without fringe Wallabies Latu and Robertson got dished up early, however the front row settled and was dominant for most of the match. I remember a young Paddy Ryan pumping his legs and running through walls leading to an early test debut, and it's against that standard I mark him otherwise I'd probably be saying he's got a load of potential if he can carry more directly and tear a few faces off at the breakdown. Paddy found himself in the centres on attack this week after Irea Simone smoked him out there last week, and seeing him not step inside to take a front on impact in preference to being hit on an angle and losing the collision was frustrating - again, stay out of the centres son!

Folau Fainga'a, for the third time this season was in the bin within 10 minutes of getting on the field. While there's conjecture Fitzpatrick has the 3rd hooking contract, I'm still not convinced he's put pen to paper so Fainga'a would do himself a favour to spend less time in the naughty chair. Deputising for Latu he otherwise played a reasonably solid game, he was accurate in the lineout and spent a lot of time at the breakdown - I'm looking forward to seeing more of him next week.

Sam Needs struggled a little early though came back strong, he's playing tighter though made a couple of decent runs one off. A lot more fitness and a little scrum coaching won't hurt over the summer months as 12 months from now he may want a back tight-head spot vacated by Ta'Avao.

Ned Hanigan - refer last report, and the one before that, ad nauseum. He's going to push for a starting spot at the Tahs at this rate, and could be a bolter for the November tour.

It looks as though Sam Figg has committed to the sevens program, so that opens up either a flanker or an eighthman spot for Sam Ward or sevens star Tom Cusack. Both seemed to have stints of energy and enthusiasm, then disappear for a bit, with the latter probably more useful on the day than the former. Both formed part of a strong pack though, and should have 3 or 4 more hitouts to show their potential.

Rowan Perry came on late, I'm not sure by he was benched this week though if we don't resign him I bet the Force do as they're losing Alcock to the Brumbies. He's a quality 7, and has benefitted from the professional environment at the Tahs.

Could Tim Buchanan be a smokey for a locking gig? He's played a different role to Hanigan this series which has been generally reliable. I'm not sure what he's doing south of the Tweed though he's getting plenty of game time to make a claim to play somewhere.

Jake Gordon - yep, he'll do me. Should be starting Tahs scrummie within 2 years, and another smokey for the November tour. Scored three and setup two - absolutely on fire! Showed electric pace early to smoke team-mate Godwin after a kick to open spaces, and showed a calm head after a great midfield break to flick outside to setup
Godwin for another. Meanwhile Andrew Deegan came off the bench and was reasonable, though would be happy to have already signed considering Tayler Adams had a great game at flyhalf and has a wonderful boot. Adams went into scrummie, though I didn't see the potential player of the series depart so fingers crossed Flash Gordon was only rested.

David Horwitz had some very good touches and some pretty ordinary too. Granted he doesn't play at 13 often, though he's got to learn that cutout passes that wide allow defenders to shuffle onto the winger who by that stage is marked by the best defender (aka the sideline) whereas quick-hands commits defenders and promotes overlaps. To his credit threw 2 slick passes in the lead up to tries including a great inside ball while he was getting dragged down.

Reece Robinson on the wing did winger stuff, including a couple of mid-field runs that we haven't seen much of to date. He's getting better at rugby finesse, though doesn't have the size to shake of defenders nor break down walls. Alex Newsome on the other wing continues to have good involvement and could press for the vacant outside back opening on a development contract - though the same size considerations apply. Meanwhile I'm not sure when the ginger ninja returns to fullback, though Gus Roberts has been reasonable in his absence.

I'll review the Rams game later, again I'd prefer the advantage of seeing the replay in order not to miss anything significant.

Edit: one thing about Hanigan, he's got to be careful cover-defending as I've spotted him a few times throwing an arm over the attacking player's shoulder to drag him down ball-and-all which is subject to penalty interpretation depending on how the players fall. And another thing, Tayler Adams is apparently a Kiwi - but the kid can play.

N

NTT

Great effort by the Spirit on the 6 day turnaround with the travel involved. Created a lot just didn't have the finishing touch with the ball going to ground too often. We also struggled at times to get a forward runner over the gainline to work off due to some very physical defence by the Eagles. Not to mention we ran into a certain guy named Jake Gordon who was sublime linking in the broken play.
Woulda loved to be there, nothing beats a great hangi!

Status
Not open for further replies.