• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Rnd 6: QLD Country v NSW Country - 6 Oct Bond University, Gold Coast

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
Damon Murphy was really good at finding penalty advantages against NSW Country in the second half, particularly for questionable offences that were meaningless and had no impact on the game.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I agree. I really hope they keep building. Been so close between the teams/table that it's made every game interesting this year.
Tough scheduling this year competing with prime time RWC games and other codes semis and GFs. It's a pity because it's been a good comp with some entertaining games, let alone the emerging talent on show, but very little hype or press.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Tough scheduling this year competing with prime time RWC games and other codes semis and GFs. It's a pity because it's been a good comp with some entertaining games, let alone the emerging talent on show, but very little hype or press.

On the flipside, you'd think that this would be the ideal time to grab some attention with all the attention on the RWC and Rugby in general. It's always going to be a challenge as it's a short run tournament and unfortunately fall right when a lot of the other codes are having their finals. The dropping and changing of teams over the years probably hasn't helped either - esp. for NSW. No real tribalism.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
On the flipside, you'd think that this would be the ideal time to grab some attention with all the attention on the RWC and Rugby in general. It's always going to be a challenge as it's a short run tournament and unfortunately fall right when a lot of the other codes are having their finals. The dropping and changing of teams over the years probably hasn't helped either - esp. for NSW. No real tribalism.

hmmm its pretty easy to get lost in the noise of the RWC. Many of the game are on at the same or similar times as the RWC

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Felt that if we got that first try we would run them over. Just took a little too long.

B

Bobby Sands

I think the commercial success may come from building more history into the jersies, and seeing NSW take it more seriously is a good start. But for now most importantly these young promising players are playing rugby at a very high level. Blokes like Wilson, McReight, Faessler would have played more rugby than anyone in the country this year. If you read a book like Outliers you can see how this cumulative experience adds up and is a key reason why some players in all sports blow past others.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
hmmm its pretty easy to get lost in the noise of the RWC. Many of the game are on at the same or similar times as the RWC
Yep. This game was played at the same time as the ABs v Namibia which was a good contest until half time and was shown live on Fox

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I think the commercial success may come from building more history into the jersies, and seeing NSW take it more seriously is a good start. But for now most importantly these young promising players are playing rugby at a very high level. Blokes like Wilson, McReight, Faessler would have played more rugby than anyone in the country this year. If you read a book like Outliers you can see how this cumulative experience adds up and is a key reason why some players in all sports blow past others.

Agree on the more experience at higher level is a good thing. I remember Jack Debreczeni saying after he moved to the Chiefs he thought the main difference between the Australian teams and the NZ teams was the higher level of competitive play leading up to Super Rugby (Mitre 10 cup etc....).

Disagree on Malcolm Gladwell's misrepresentation of the 10,000hrs study.

B

Bobby Sands

Agree on the more experience at higher level is a good thing. I remember Jack Debreczeni saying after he moved to the Chiefs he thought the main difference between the Australian teams and the NZ teams was the higher level of competitive play leading up to Super Rugby (Mitre 10 cup etc..).

Disagree on Malcolm Gladwell's misrepresentation of the 10,000hrs study.

10,000 hours wasn't a study, it was a observational conclusion where he looked to create a framework for what successful people did differently to others and what characteristics they all shared.

Some people interpreted the book as a literal guide to success, ie do something for 10,000 hours and be the best in the world.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I agree. I really hope they keep building. Been so close between the teams/table that it's made every game interesting this year.

Not sure what it’s like down south but outside hardcore rugby circles, you’d be hard pressed to find anyone in Brisbane who even knows these games are on.

Agree it’s a tough marketing year with the RWC but it makes me wonder if the buy in as a scaleable, marketable product is really there.

B

Bobby Sands

Not sure what it’s like down south but outside hardcore rugby circles, you’d be hard pressed to find anyone in Brisbane who even knows these games are on.

Agree it’s a tough marketing year with the RWC but it makes me wonder if the buy in as a scaleable, marketable product is really there.

The footy is such a great standard, I think that holding it at suburban clubs is a masterstroke. I really hope it doesn't get killed of... we need it badly.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)

It's crickets in NSW as well, you really have to go looking to find any news about it. On the plus side, it's run on a shoe string budget so doesn't have huge costs involved and seems to be picking up in standard

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

Very similar. Not a lot of chat about the games outside of the usual crowd. The link between club land and the NRC feel pretty poor, which is a shame. I know there was the attempt get the buy in of the Sydney clubs when we had all the Sydney teams, but it really didn't work. I'm hopeful if they settle on the current teams, get some history happening with the jerseys there might be a chance. I've wondered if having a junior boys and/or womens game before the NRC would draw in people, but then I doubt there is the money to fund junior teams flying around the country.

You are likely to hear more about the Georgia v Urauguay game than you are about any of the NRC matches on the weekend.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
10,000 hours wasn't a study, it was a observational conclusion where he looked to create a framework for what successful people did differently to others and what characteristics they all shared.

Some people interpreted the book as a literal guide to success, ie do something for 10,000 hours and be the best in the world.

I just meant even Ericsson (in interviews I’ve heard) says Gladwell misinterpreted his research (in particular his 1993 study), I believe specifically that a particular number of hours leads to mastery. Gladwell does tend to present things in such a way that you can see how people interpret as you say - as a literal guide to success.