• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Round 2: NSW Country Eagles v University of Canberra Vikings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Pretty good game. Sam Carter played well, and I think he played the whole game. If he did come off it was late in the second half. Lance and Kellaway were the other standouts for Country, and Stubbs made some strong runs.

For the Vikings Vaea, Butler and Smiler had strong games, as did Rory Arnold until he came off early in the second half I think. The fullback Thompson and the left wing (Talauli?) also played well.

A few errors from both sides as you would expect. The field was in poor condition, but the wine tents on the far side sure looked inviting.

Think the Fox commentator had imbibed a bit too freely at half time. Had the Eagles well and truly back in the game after Thompson scored his try (for Vikings).:)

Vaea official MOTM, but of the uncontracted players I thought Abel, Powell and Niumata were good for Vikings.

Vaea, Smiler and Butler were very strong in the back row as were Arnold and Enever in the second row. Vikings' scrum dominated. Will be a good match up against the Qld Country pack when they meet.

Phil Kite looked to be half his size from last year, and Rowan Perry looked to be maybe 10 - 15kgs bigger than last year. Did real good to score the last try.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Was at the game.....physical game...little scrappy with errors etc but Vikings outmuscled Eagles....

Vikings probably up there but Brisbane City and Rising still look team to beat with Stars and Vikings making up probable top 4 for my mind when comes to end of season....

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Kellaway looks as though he might have done a hamstring..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeh he limped off after scoring that try. Great try too. Amazing balance & acceleration.
He busted his arse to bring it round under the posts then the kicker missed it!!!
Kelleway is some talent!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeh he limped off after scoring that try. Great try too. Amazing balance & acceleration.
He busted his arse to bring it round under the posts then the kicker missed it!!!
Kelleway is some talent!

Great run by Kellaway. Unfortunate that it started with an obstruction that held a couple of defenders back.;)

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Griffins won 47-21

Tries to Penca 2 rolling maul tries (see a pattern developing here?), Lomax, Buaseru, Johnson, Kite and Kamikamica.

T

TOCC

Vaea, Smiler and Butler were very strong in the back row as were Arnold and Enever in the second row. Vikings' scrum dominated. Will be a good match up against the Qld Country pack when they meet.

Vikings scrum dominated on occasion, but then the Eagles also got a couple of tighhead's as well, Viking took home the points victory but it wasn't a completely dominant scum.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Vikings scrum dominated on occasion, but then the Eagles also got a couple of tighhead's as well, Viking took home the points victory but it wasn't a completely dominant scum.

Tocc, I can't recall the Eagles getting a TH scrum at all, but they did muscle up later in the game. Vikings did give away a couple of free kicks in the scrums for imo marginal pushing early. but all in all, the scrums were well set and didn't require too many resets. I will stand by my view that the Vikings' scrum was dominant, on occasions pushing the Eagles back many metres.

T

TOCC

I was at the game and the one tight head scrum which stuck in my mind was straight after Ed Stubbs had been sent off, Vikings had a scrum 5m out from the Country line and Country forced tight head before the referee blew it up.

It'll be interesting to see the scrum battle next week against QLD Country.. In terms of scrummaging, I think Brisbane City have set the benchmark so far.

T

TOCC

he played at outside centre on the weekend, and i was very impressed with his performance(apart from the yellow card), I thought he was the best back in NSW Country.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Did Phil Kite play? I missed it but he was not named and instead was named for ACT Griffins, thought I saw a photo of him in the crowd?

Might have mistaken someone else for him, but a prop replacement came on in the second half whom I thought was Phil. Tall, large but trim and certainly not the size Phil was last year. Didn't recognise him otherwise and assumed it was a trimmed down Kite.

Status
Not open for further replies.