• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
While I miss the 2 round comp. wouldn't want to see shore in 2 rounds. sadly this trial / experimental season has shown that the likes of Knox and Waverley are more competitive, and would be better suited to face off against the heavyweights

And shore hasn't drifted as badly as shs or grammar, but they are drifting

Jika travers be unhappy. in heaven
Yep, it's time Shore were playing div 2 in a 2 division joint GPS/CAS comp (along with TAS, Grammar and High I think).

A couple of those TAS players could play 1/2's in the stronger rugby schools and it's a dis service to see them in 3rd grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It might be two one-round competitions run concurrently.

That is, a GPS/CAS/ISA comp of some description as a completely new comp, as well as the traditional competitons run in the individual Associations.

Throw all the trial matches in the bin and replace them with proper competition games that have a happy ending.

No, they'll still be called trials.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
On Saturday Shore had their worst defensive result in the 122 years of competition between Shore and Joeys, conceding 66 points.

If there is any "positive" for Shore, they scored more points against Joeys than they have since 2010 (when they last beat Joeys).

IMG_2771.JPG

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
On Saturday Shore had their worst defensive result in the 122 years of competition between Shore and Joeys, conceding 66 points.

If there is any "positive" for Shore, they scored more points against Joeys than they have since 2010 (when they last beat Joeys).

It was good to see Joeys secure their first win and there was some relief about that. The Shore boys tried hard and were even in the game for most of the first half so kudos to them hanging in there but let's not sugarcoat it. It must be frustrating for them that they can't put their best side on the park (they have their rowers out their choice) and to be honest were very poor and yet we leaked many points around the rucks in particular. It took Joeys way into the second half to realise they needed the ball to go wide and Kandalaft ran rings around them to score a well deserved hat trick. Joeys tactics each week seem to be to persist in hitting the ball up off the rucks with forwards in the backs when quick ball through the hands would have seen many more tries scored while the defense was scrambling. I'd like to see Chan the fullback hitting the line then as he's being a bit wasted. Quick ball worked for over 100 years for us but these days seems to have gone out the window. We used to be known as the Randwick of GPS rugby!

I would be surprised if the coaches cannot see this and point this out to the boys. There were 4 or 5 times at least when Shore were exposed but we didn't push the killer button and WLF set in.

In answer to SDW's query as to when Joeys will win again, well you can do this to sides like Shore but you can't do it to Scots and Kings if you want to win the competition. The effort is there but the tactics are amiss and we need more from the big men to do the hard work in and around the middle.

Kandalaft & Ryan were outstanding when they did get the ball. Houston was the pick of the forwards - what a season he is having.

Newington will be a great game and a very good test for both sides. Can't wait to see it.

View attachment 9584

S

sidelineview

Won't be the same. Will be similar. While I favour 2 rounds, it sounds like the 2018 incarnation of the format will be a distinct improvment on the 2017 version.

I didnt expect to see the 2 round comp return but it will be a complete wank if the trial match format is repeated in any form in order to make schoolboy rugby more ''expansive''.

It wouldn't be progress. It would be impotent instead. People want real competition games which foster the real spirit of schoolboy rugby.

What school wouldnt want to win the inaugural GPS/CAS/ISA Comp or whatever it could be called?

I hope your mail is wrong.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
I didnt expect to see the 2 round comp return but it will be a complete wank if the trial match format is repeated in any form in order to make schoolboy rugby more ''expansive''.

It wouldn't be progress. It would be impotent instead. People want real competition games which foster the real spirit of schoolboy rugby.

What school wouldnt want to win the inaugural GPS/CAS/ISA Comp or whatever it could be called?

I hope your mail is wrong.

What I don't understand/agree with is there seems to be no external consultation. Talk to those affected by the changes this year.

The players don't like it. The parents don't like it. The supporters don't like it. The Old Boys don't like it & I can only assume the coaches don't like it.

They pretty much all want 2 rounds.

What the hell?

S

sidelineview

I understood there will be 2 comps run concurrently which seems like a reasonable outcome, but what would i know. It all seems to be conjecture again.

That is, the new GPS/CAS/ISA comp or whatever it is, run one week with the traditional individual Associations comps run on alternate weeks.

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems at least like a good starting point to me.

I think the Old Boys unions from each school should be stepping up and asking questions.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sideline, I agree "everyone from players to parents, want competition games"... trials end up being all a bit meaningless

when will 2018's schedule be announced?

on an unrelated issue ... I was thinking how well coached that Kings team seemed ... who are the coaches? The forwards in particular were clinical ... not that View wasn't well drilled too.

Although I personally thought they (Kings) were pushing the boundaries in terms of taking out players ... whether it be at the breakdown, cleaning out beyond what I understand is allowable ... and taking out players well and truly after the ball had been passed in general play

even one of the photos captures Dog Junior ... as I am calling Dog Poolman's son ....Ed Poolman taking out a player

anyway reminds me of an old rugby quote

"You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if its late".

Vintage Red

Herbert Moran (7)
Sideline, I agree "everyone from players to parents, want competition games". trials end up being all a bit meaningless

when will 2018's schedule be announced?

on an unrelated issue . I was thinking how well coached that Kings team seemed . who are the coaches? The forwards in particular were clinical . not that View wasn't well drilled too.

Although I personally thought they (Kings) were pushing the boundaries in terms of taking out players . whether it be at the breakdown, cleaning out beyond what I understand is allowable . and taking out players well and truly after the ball had been passed in general play

even one of the photos captures Dog Junior . as I am calling Dog Poolman's son ..Ed Poolman taking out a player

anyway reminds me of an old rugby quote

"You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if its late".

TKS coaches:
Jimmy Hilgendorf
Hugh Perrett
J (?) Warr

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
TKS coaches:
Jimmy Hilgendorf
Hugh Perrett
J (?) Warr

All Great Coaches....

J= John Warr - Head Coach - Ex Irish Rugby clubs, Australian School boys, Shute Shield coach with Gordon
Jimmy H - Backs Coach - Ex Rebels, Waratahs, Force, Italian Rugby, Japan Rugby, Eastwood

Hugh P - Forwards Coach - Ex Waratahs, Rebels, English Rugby (Bath and Sale), Eastwood

Status
Not open for further replies.