• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Ha ha, very good Rich_e. Joeys have their Winter sports Rally (speech day for sport) on this Saturday night and they celebrate the success of all teams, even soccer :eek:. The pennants are keenly sought after and reward for effort from the boys.

They have 4 rallies a year; Summer, Rowing, Winter and Athletics. Always on the Saturday of the event or the final round. So a long day..

Hardest thing for me to get my head around when first introduced to the GPS system was that there is only 3 recognised competitions in Rugby; Firsts, seconds and thirds.

Haha. And I wasn't trying to be a smart arse either. Pennant should have said pennants. Corrected now. Was typo.

I do think its great the school rewards achievement in that way. And given that Joeys would win the majority of the five rounders in rugby, it would be a long ceremony.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
First XV kicks off at 3.15.

There is angled parking on the perimeter of the park but a warning. road works have reduced the amount available.

Unless you get there before 1, you will be disappointed if you want to park at the ground.

My tip would be to park in the streets on the other side of Ryde road and walk across. 2-3 blocks max.

Or get there early, grab a coffee and or lunch either at the ground or in Hunters Hill proper before heading to the park.

Note seating will be sought after so another reason to get there early. Note the Joeys students sit in the stand. Riverview students are allocated the temp seating on the southern side of the field.

All supporters can use the seating on the pavilion side outside the roof area. Traditionally Joeys parents sit near the "Rowers BBQ" at the Eastern end of the ground. Away teams at the western end.

Note the famous Jacks Bar will open on the closing whistle of first grade. This is a wonderful institution run by the Joeys Old Boys. ALL supporters from BOTH schools are welcome to join in the celebration of the season and catch up with old mates.

Looking forward to a big crowd to celebrate the closing of the 2017 season.

Thanks for the extensive run down. Where can I find Jacks Bar after the match?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Note the famous Jacks Bar will open on the closing whistle of first grade.

ALL supporters from BOTH schools are welcome to join in the celebration of the season and catch up with old mates.

In all my trips to Hunters Hill, and on every occasion in desperate need to anethatise pain and mental trauma . Was never aware Jacks Bar was available to heathens from opposing tribes.

Also thought it was a very special private party.

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
I hear you ACS and dont disagree that many still think of it as a comp. And IMO its a shame its not. But thats another topic again.

I just wanted to make the point, for those not familiar with the system, that there is no official comp for 16As and other age groups and i think that's now very clear.

I didn't realise Joeys handed out premiers pennant (edit: changed to pennants). Good on them. Wow. That would be a long presentation ceremony :)
Joeys have always handed out pennants, but they only go to undefeated teams, not premiers as there are no "premiers". However the rules around who is undefeated seem rather flexible at times since they have so many mismatches in terms of games eg Cs Vs some other schools As etc that sometimes teams get pennants where they have won all their other games but have lost a game against a higher ranked team at another school.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
It is my understanding that Pennants only go to "undefeated" teams no matter what level of opposition they played during the competition rounds.
Jack's Bar is in the south west corner of the field, opposite end of scoreboard. Open to everyone for a chat and catch up after the game.
Probably the best part of the day.

Rugby Season

Stan Wickham (3)
Riverview v Joeys at HH . match of the round.

Both teams are coming off strong wins . and both teams, by my estimation have had patchy seasons , so both have a lot to prove

crowd should be big . whether that is one positive of a 1 round comp?!

conditions should be conducive to Joeys upbeat tempo . a good fast game

Unless I am mistaken, Riverview's star breakaway Rorke is the only player to make GPS 1sts,

So Rorke is the single biggest star .. and only Aussie Schoolboy playing

. although several others leapfrogged into higher Rep honours (Dowling into NSW 1s and Reilly into Combined States), and I think Joeys maybe a bit hard done by

so game will feature a number of NSW players, with Joeys having Dowling, and View having Rorke, Bell, Easy

so key match ups - scrum halfs ..Dylan Dowling v Grant

backrowers - Quinn v Rorke

centres - Reilly & Ryan v Easy/Bell

hookers - Heaven v McLennan

although Armchair no doubt will know who is in and out - injury-wise . or who is playing in different positions

My tip is Joeys in a good arm wrestle

Joeys will be favourites but I am tipping an upset by 2 points in a thriller:

• Joeys may have the edge with a bigger tight 5 although people like McClennan won't take a backward step but Riverview will counter this with a slightly bigger & stronger back 3 who are on fire particularly with Rorke;
  • Easy (missed Joeys trial) & Bell counter the Reilly factor and the View backs will have superior pace & are slicker compared to a Joeys back line which seems to have had problems deciding who to play & where all season;
  • Riverview always lift against Joeys particularly at Joeys in the past few years.
Can't help but think both sides are coming good at the wrong end of the season.
Should be a great game.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Has a "pump up" video been produced for this Saturdays J v I clash? One about to be released?

Please share here if thats the case.

Always very entertaining viewing.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
In all my trips to Hunters Hill, and on every occasion in desperate need to anethatise pain and mental trauma . Was never aware Jacks Bar was available to heathens from opposing tribes.

No not at all, its a terrific atmosphere.

Rugby Survivor was spot on

Jack's Bar is in the south west corner of the field, opposite end of scoreboard. Open to everyone for a chat and catch up after the game.

Don't be overawed by the crowd. Service is quick and the beers are cold. They also serve wine and champagne. Old Boys do a great job and they even supply complimentary hot food.

A great venue with a great post match vibe that showcases how interconnected the GPS and Rugby community are.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
No not at all, its a terrific atmosphere.

Rugby Survivor was spot on

Don't be overawed by the crowd. Service is quick and the beers are cold. They also serve wine and champagne. Old Boys do a great job and they even supply complimentary hot food.

A great venue with a great post match vibe that showcases how interconnected the GPS and Rugby community are.

Couldn't agree more ACS. Great venue. For visitors as well.

I've been a few times and will be there this Saturday.

Vintage Red

Herbert Moran (7)
It is my understanding that Pennants only go to "undefeated" teams no matter what level of opposition they played during the competition rounds.

"A Teams" have traditionally been awarded pennants if they finished on top of the table - even if they lost a game(s). This was certainly the case during the 2 round comp.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Has a "pump up" video been produced for this Saturdays J v I clash? One about to be released?

Rich_e none that I have found. I hope that a View or Joe boy is bored with HSC studies and wants to "burley the waters".

C'mon guys, hurry up only 3 sleeps before the match!

Here is the last "pump up" launched by Riverview before the "trial" on 3rd June 2017.

Looking at the old footage, there were some very big crowds. Wonder what the record is?

Sidesteppa, are you videoing/televising the game? Would love it if you were there :D

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
N
Correct 15As at 10.00 am on SJC1

Expect schedule all Joeys V Riverview to be as follows on SJC#1:

15A 10.00 am
16A 11.00 am
4th XV 12.00 pm
3rd XV 1 pm
2nd XV 2.00 pm
Ist XV 3.15 pm

Most likely will be games from 8 am on SJC1!
Not a bad guess...at all, pretty much spot on.

5th XV at 9am and 7th XV at 8am.

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Not true that they only go to undefeated teams. That's the theory not the hard and fast rule. There was a hoo ha a couple of years ago I remember about a Joeys lower grade team losing to View but being given pennants because at HH the game was regarded as abandoned (something to do with the referee getting abused) whereas at View it was a win.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)

Opposing tribes supporters are welcome as I've experienced several times but be prepared for a pasting.... especially if they've won....

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Riverview match at Hunters Hill usually results in parking on Boronia Park, a short walk along Ryde Road and Augustine Street. Check the Joeys website later this week, it should be announced there.

The Joeys OBs run Jacks Bar and are restricted by their licence to opening after all matches have finished. That's why the doors are flung open on the ref's whistle for full time. BTW, it's "Jacks", not "Jack's", it was named after two OBs from the 30s both named Jack and a very popular brother from the 60s to 00s nicknamed Jack.

Mick DUNN

Frank Row (1)
Yep agree SDW. Both teams no doubt keen to taking bragging rights. Having dominated their trial encounter and 2 narrow losses against Scots and Kings, Joeys would be favoured. But who knows with Schoolboy Rugby!

Views Angus Bell played GPS1 against CAS and CHS according to GPS website.

Joeys Tristan Reilly played GPS1 against CHS according to GPS website.

Reilly should consider himself unlucky to miss selection in either Australian Schoolboys or Barbarians. Hopefully one of those final 3 spots may fall his way.

Rorke only ASB selection playing

SDW I have no intel on injuries or who is playing where.

Everleigh and Ryan were in the centres V New and Reilly was at FB. Seemed to work well against New.

Bourchier has been playing #2 for Joeys and View may still be having nightmares of his line breaks last time they played.

Heaven I suspect will be at 6. But he has played 2,3,6 and 7 in the firsts this year so stay tuned.

Hopefully weather remains as forecast and we get a sunny day to wrap up the season

Out of all players in GPS there is something special about Triston Reilly that makes me think he will be a statistic. One of those schoolboy players that did not play for Aus Schools but goes on to play at high honours in senior rugby. From what I heard he was unlucky with injury this year and had next to no game time in trials, but watching him play last Saturday, line break after line break, you could see he is running freely and back in form. He had a hand in most of joeys tries against Newington in 2016 at home and he was on par to that form last week. I hope the selectors find a place for him in one of these last 3 or 5 aus schools team positions.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Out of all players in GPS there is something special about Triston Reilly that makes me think he will be a statistic. One of those schoolboy players that did not play for Aus Schools but goes on to play at high honours in senior rugby. From what I heard he was unlucky with injury this year and had next to no game time in trials, but watching him play last Saturday, line break after line break, you could see he is running freely and back in form. He had a hand in most of joeys tries against Newington in 2016 at home and he was on par to that form last week. I hope the selectors find a place for him in one of these last 3 or 5 aus schools team positions.

Sorry to disappoint you but Joeys lost their home game to Newington last year 28-17 in a match that was played in a howling gale and driving rain. Joeys only scored two tries in that match. ;)

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Sidesteppa, are you videoing/televising the game? Would love it if you were there :D

Not sure, when I've been to Joeys v View in the past I've missed tries due to crowds obstructing the view, not an easy job. Was quite looking forward to a feast of pies and tries at Northbridge as Scots spank Shore to celebrate another great season. And I haven't seen Shore play this year yet.
Speaking of spanking, the Scots halfback gives some fine service to his pack at 37:33 of the kings match video. :)
As usual I'll decide on the day, may depend on how much of a challenge I need at the time.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just hope that Shore turn up.

Hope that the coaches have been working on a very different game plan.

They are not going to do any good playing a traditional game. Scots too strong.

I saw Sinclair kick wide to Rixon on the last play vs Newington and it was a great play
and Rixon scored a great try.

They will need lots of that play vs Scots to have any chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.