• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Rich_E,

My real point re crickets pink ball intro, was how change can be good.
Clearly it needs to be well thought through.

I agree with formerflankers comment, and I guess everyone else does to,
it would be nice to hear the rationale/strategy from the headmasters!

I think that is a massive assumption to conclude everyone agrees with former flanker. With all due respect to former flanker, a fellow writer of GPS match reviews in 2016, I know a lot of people who don't agree with him.

The beauty of this forum is that everyone is entitled to express their own views.

It would just help if responses didn't draw on wildly unsubstantiable generalisations.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
I hope 1 day someone will see a future beyond a tiny CAS and GPS comp,but looking at this page with silly bloody pictorials maybe not.
A change of pace here, does anyone think the day/night pink ball, in the most traditional national sport, is a good idea?

If you don't like the pictures then you are free to troll other threads and extol the virtues of your tiny pink balls to your hearts content. This is a Rugby thread

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
These parents could save a truck load of cash sending their kids to the myriad schools playing high level league and get into the union programs through Club rugby. They could even play Colts if good enough.

Isn't this the real problem and why forums such as this are so focused on the schools rugby programs?

There is no real pathway for any players in the Opens (U17 & U18) looking for a high level of rugby via the club system. So outside of the schools system it is colts (U20's) or social rugby (SJRU Opens) or they go and play a high level in another sport. Too many choose option C.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Hi Rich_E. My comment regarding "arrogance was actually not related to the ten round comp but rather
3. The spectators, many of whom think that elite schools rugby is the most entertaining rugby you can watch live on a Saturday arvo

I personally have an issue with the term "elite" as it assumes superiority. GPS schools are privileged, caring, strong, selective (academically or financially) and unfortunately at times, elitist. However each school has both strengths and weaknesses, but I would never consider them as superior.

As one who has played Sydney schoolboy rugby (albeit long ago), Shute Shield, John I Dent and Subbies; there are many places on a Saturday afternoon I can find quality rugby entertainment.

As we can agree however, broadening the rugby experience across more schools can only assist in developing character, perspective and even contacts. Sounds a lot like the purpose of a good education beyond the academic.

P.S. FormerFlanker and I share a similar avatar but are not the same person.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
It might have the very desirable effect of de-emphasising rugby within the GPS.

IMO there is absolutely nothing desirable about de-emphasising Rugby and or Rowing within the AAGPS....they both have a long and rich history and tradition and long may that live on.

Rugby in particular, as noted ad nauseam in these pages, is under siege by a veritable plague of "alternate co- curricular, time wasting pastimes" such as Soccer and Aerial Ping Pong etc"....with soccer teams equaling or in some cases surpassing the number of rugby teams in some schools/age divisions. It doesn't need any more de-emphasising because the changing demographic of students is also doing a bloody good job all by itself.

Even the sports masters seem to be running scared these days with Rugby being relegated to the very back of the school winter sports news letters.

.....and now add the latest attack, with the ludicrous carve up of the associations comps (both CAS and AAGPS) which will further erode the tribalism and fervor that made games within these two associations a joy to watch.

If you are going to have a comp then construct a proper comp, rather some bastard hybrid progeny of a fumbling, drunken encounter in the desert between a camel and a wombat.

I'm with Rich ....if they are going to change the competition format of the various school associations then let's see a proper comp comprising at least 10 games between the best schools whether they be public, private or agnostic.

hybrid2.jpg

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
There is no real pathway for any players in the Opens (U17 & U18) looking for a high level of rugby via the club system. So outside of the schools system it is colts (U20's) or social rugby (SJRU Opens) or they go and play a high level in another sport. Too many choose option C.

Sadly too true. I mentioned previously a very flawed model about getting clubs involved. The model was roundly, and rightly, panned by the members on this forum.

However I believe the intention is still valid. Schools, States and the ARU need to find a way to bring Club and Schoolboy rugby together. There are kids in 3rds at school who could excel if given the opportunity to play elsewhere. And kids at state schools that would do brilliantly if given the opportunity to be a part of a decent rugby program.

I don't have all the answers but if I keep throwing ideas out there, the brains-trust that is the GAGR Forum Membership, may be encouraged to find the answer so desperately needed.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Azzuri,

You probably wont like this BUT I agree with most of the things you said, particularly your last paragraph.
That is the comp I have been banging on about for a long time.

I also agree with Rugby Central, SCHOOL BOY Rugby needs to evolve to be competitive!

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Hi Rich_E. My comment regarding "arrogance was actually not related to the ten round comp but rather

I personally have an issue with the term "elite" as it assumes superiority. GPS schools are privileged, caring, strong, selective (academically or financially) and unfortunately at times, elitist. However each school has both strengths and weaknesses, but I would never consider them as superior.

As one who has played Sydney schoolboy rugby (albeit long ago), Shute Shield, John I Dent and Subbies; there are many places on a Saturday afternoon I can find quality rugby entertainment.

As we can agree however, broadening the rugby experience across more schools can only assist in developing character, perspective and even contacts. Sounds a lot like the purpose of a good education beyond the academic.

P.S. FormerFlanker and I share a similar avatar but are not the same person.

Sorry about the case of mistaken identify.

I get what you are saying about 'elite'. Was probably not the right word for what I was trying to say. Too easily misconstrued.

What I mean by that term is matches played between the top tier teams in any association. Not just GPS. Could be CAS, ISA, CHS, CCC or any other association, in NSW and interstate. If you check, you will see I don't mention GPS in any sentence relating to elite.

I too played rugby at school a long time ago. I also played colts and subbies. More often than not, I will go to a schools game rather than shute shield or subbies, while the schools comp is on, because of the tribal atmosphere that is lacking with the other options. Also because I write a lot of schools match reviews for Green and Gold.

Plus there is plenty of time before and after schools comps to go to grade games etc.

Ioverugby24/7

Frank Nicholson (4)
Some talented GPS boys in this group.
Good luck to NSW 7s at Nationals:

NSW BLUE 7s Team announcement
Congratulations to the following boys who have been selected to represent NSW Blue in Perth.
Nath Lawson (VC)
Tom Woodcock (C)
Alan Tuigamala
Jake Styles
Will Harrison (VC)
Triston Reilly
Yule Yule
Billy Smith
Matt Stead
Hunter Ward
Dom Easy
Keiron Mundine

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IMO there is absolutely nothing desirable about de-emphasising Rugby and or Rowing within the AAGPS..they both have a long and rich history and tradition and long may that live on.

Rugby in particular, as noted ad nauseam in these pages, is under siege by a veritable plague of "alternate co- curricular, time wasting pastimes" such as Soccer and Aerial Ping Pong etc"..with soccer teams equaling or in some cases surpassing the number of rugby teams in some schools/age divisions. It doesn't need any more de-emphasising because the changing demographic of students is also doing a bloody good job all by itself.

Even the sports masters seem to be running scared these days with Rugby being relegated to the very back of the school winter sports news letters.

...and now add the latest attack, with the ludicrous carve up of the associations comps (both CAS and AAGPS) which will further erode the tribalism and fervor that made games within these two associations a joy to watch.

If you are going to have a comp then construct a proper comp, rather some bastard hybrid progeny of a fumbling, drunken encounter in the desert between a camel and a wombat.

I'm with Rich ..if they are going to change the competition format of the various school associations then let's see a proper comp comprising at least 10 games between the best schools whether they be public, private or agnostic.

View attachment 8717

The internal inconsistency is staggering.
The comp was only ever one round for 95% of its history until a couple of schools suffered falling enrolments and decided a rugby led recovery was the cure.
Anyone who thinks beefing up the Sydney GPS comp has a sustainable prospect of improving the Wallabies or Tahs (or anyone else) or the standing and popularity of rugby in the community is either on the ARU Board or likely to be up for nomination.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
The comp was only ever one round for 95% of its history until a couple of schools suffered falling enrolments and decided a rugby led recovery was the cure.
Anyone who thinks beefing up the Sydney GPS comp has a sustainable prospect of improving the Wallabies or Tahs (or anyone else) or the standing and popularity of rugby in the community is either on the ARU Board or likely to be up for nomination.

Since you want to introduce history, the AAGPS has comprised up to 13 schools in its long history before being whittled down to the current 9, which means it has for much of its history been a comp that has comprised at least 9 competition games not 5 as proposed under the ludicrous changes that will be implemented in 2017.

What I was referencing in the last couple of paragraphs of my post however has nothing to do with "beefing up the GPS" to save the Wallabies but rather my view that kids should be be given the opportunity to play in a meaningful school boy competition of more than 5 games and if that means a 10 game competition between the best schools from any association or combination thereof then that would be a start. If that also means creating a divisionalized school boy comp with relegation and promotion based on annual performance .....so be it.

What's your alternative @IS?

S

sidelineview

What I was referencing in the last couple of paragraphs of my post however has nothing to do with "beefing up the GPS" to save the Wallabies but rather my view that kids should be be given the opportunity to play in a meaningful school boy competition of more than 5 games and if that means a 10 game competition between the best schools from any association or combination thereof then that would be a start. If that also means creating a divisionalized school boy comp with relegation and promotion based on annual performance ...so be it.

That makes more sense rather than playing a one-round competition within respective Associations, supplemented by ''trial'' matches. Creating a 1st XV (and 2nd XV?) divisional comp with relegation and promotion also sounds good in theory. A specific Shield would be created and up for grabs for the Premiership winner.

I assume the other open and under age teams will still compete within their own Associations unless it is extended to include the 16As.

I wonder if the rugby decision-makers will claim this idea as their own after reading it here.

Pink Gilbert balls should be used in 2018.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Since you want to introduce history, the AAGPS has comprised up to 13 schools in its long history.....

Not quite true, A. Many schools (All Saints' Bathurst is the best example here) attended the meetings to establish the GPS back in the 1890s, but there's no record they ever took part in any activities. Don't forget the "Athletic Association" part of the formal name. Other schools which attended one of the meetings were St Pat's Goulburn and Cooerwull Academy Lithgow, (both closed) and Stannies Bathurst. All Saints' badge themselves as a "former member of the GPS" but I can't find evidence they took part in any athletic pursuits and were nothing more than an attendee at the introductory meetings.

If anyone has a copy of the history of the GPS, Unity in Diversity, I'd be delighted to read it.

Read here: http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/about/history/

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Hey BTW Lindommer....

This Wiki snap of you and your Joe Boy mates receiving the prestigious AAGPS Harry Highpants Award in 1939 is a cracker....;) and is that a young Lee Grant I can see behind you sprinting for the checkered flag in the Marist Egg and Spoon Championship?

Joeysathletes1939.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.