• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
...and now for the exclusive information of AAGPS thread aficionados I can reveal the secret footage of how the respective brainstrusts of the AAGPS and CAS turned two 10's into a 5....

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And there is no evidence that indicates they didn't either. In fact St Pats was a recognised as a Rugby school.

he who asserts must prove is the rule
but in any event, TAS did not participate in the comp until recently, albeit at 3rds level,.......and did not row at the HOTR until recently and have never to my knowledge participated in cricket so mere membership of the AAGPS has never carried any necessary implication of participation in any given sporting competition.
It also demonstrates why this isn't even a storm in a teacup: the major premise of the argument is irrelevant to everyone (rugby followers) and everything (education) other than parents who fear their son may not get sufficient exposure to live the parental rugby dream

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
he who asserts must prove is the rule
but in any event, TAS did not participate in the comp until recently, albeit at 3rds level,...and did not row at the HOTR until recently and have never to my knowledge participated in cricket so mere membership of the AAGPS has never carried any necessary implication of participation in any given sporting competition.
It also demonstrates why this isn't even a storm in a teacup: the major premise of the argument is irrelevant to everyone (rugby followers) and everything (education) other than parents who fear their son may not get sufficient exposure to live the parental rugby dream

You will find that "he who asserts must prove" is not a rule. There are many situations in law where the onus of proof is reversed.

Regardless of who played what and who was doing what to who .... the new comp structure is a dog with fleas and everyone knows it.

I have no skin in the game as my young bloke finished this year and is off to play colts in 2017 but suggest you go ahead and ask the lads that will be playing next year what they think of the proposed structure if you dare. I can tell you the feedback I've heard from those young men is far from complimentary. In fact the words idiotic, shite and rubbish are the more positive descriptions I've heard.

If you think that the new comp structure is not a retrograde step for schoolboy rugby then that's your flag to wave....

Education imperative aside, I on the other hand will be sitting on the side of the young men who have no voice in this sad shitty Opera while they watch stupid, self interested adults f@ck up their sport. Again!

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Some talented GPS boys in this group.
Good luck to NSW 7s at Nationals:

NSW BLUE 7s Team announcement
Congratulations to the following boys who have been selected to represent NSW Blue in Perth.
Nath Lawson (VC)
Tom Woodcock (C)
Alan Tuigamala
Jake Styles
Will Harrison (VC)
Triston Reilly
Yule Yule
Billy Smith
Matt Stead
Hunter Ward
Dom Easy
Keiron Mundine

Any other GPS Boys apart from Lawson (Newington), Styles and Smith (Scots), Reilly (Joeys) and Easy (Riverview)?

rollin_maul

Peter Burge (5)
Any other GPS Boys apart from Lawson (Newington), Styles and Smith (Scots), Reilly (Joeys) and Easy (Riverview)?

Geez Scot's backs are going to be a handful if they've got 2 NSW 7s players feeding Yassmin and Baker outside them, the latter who I think has the potential to be every bit as good as McTaggart at 15 next year

Dutchy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Geez Scot's backs are going to be a handful if they've got 2 NSW 7s players feeding Yassmin and Baker outside them, the latter who I think has the potential to be every bit as good as McTaggart at 15 next year

Ben DUCKWORTH - Kings
Matt DUTAILLIS - Riverview
Max SWANENBERG - St Josephs College, Hunters Hill
Ryley ANGLES-CORK - St Josephs College, Hunter Hill
Tom GLASCOTT - Riverview

These boys have made the NSW White team.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not true. TAS played rugby against other GPS schools in the 60s and have always competed in the GPS athletics carnival.

Completely true.
The comp = the rugby comp per the context.
They played against some schools in the 70s, too, but not for competition points.
You will find that "he who asserts must prove" is not a rule.

Bush lawyers are always a worry:
The law is that he who asserts, must prove.
Supreme Court of New South Wales — Court of Criminal Appeal
Holland J
No 3577 of 1979
14 March 1980
It is a general rule and since no contradictory evidentiary or substantive rules relevantly apply here you bear the onus.
But this is tiresome - the question is which parents are f^*^ing up which opportunities and we evidently disagree on what the opportunities are and whether the "depowering" of the GPS rugby juggernaut is a good thing for all but a few.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)

Bush lawyers are always a worry:

It is a general rule and since no contradictory evidentiary or substantive rules relevantly apply here you bear the onus.
But this is tiresome - the question is which parents are f^*^ing up which opportunities and we evidently disagree on what the opportunities are and whether the "depowering" of the GPS rugby juggernaut is a good thing for all but a few.

No bush lawyer activity to see here I'm sorry @IS. Suggest you put your Akubra and moleskin back on and do some more research on the reverse onus of proof, as presenting cherry picked quotes from the Supreme Court in isolation doesn't prove anything other than you are proficient with Google search. I can however see that you've tried to step back from your original statement by including the word "general"....and yes, this is tiresome.

And, if you are going to quote me then please don't misrepresent what I said.

My comments were "f@ck up their sport", not opportunities and not just for the AAGPS. I also wrote "adults" not parents!! The adults I refer to are the ones that made the decision to change to the bastardized, half arsed mess they have created for 2017.

With mungo and AFL circling for schoolboy talent maybe you could explain why "depowering" or dismantling two perfectly good schoolboy rugby comps is so important?

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Very good point Az. And a close look at the results from the 2016 season illustrates this very clearly.

From the 10 rounds in 2016, there were essentially 6 sequences of 5 games played. Rounds 1 to 5, 2 to 6, 3 to 7 etc.

From those 6 sequences of 5 games, on 4 occasions, 2 or more teams would have tied for first place. Rounds 1 to 5 were tied by Scots, Kings and View. Rounds 2 to 6 were tied by Scots and Kings. Rounds 4 to 8 and 5 to 9 were tied by Scots and Newington.

The only 2 situations where there would have been an outright winner were rounds 3 to 7 won by Scots (the ultimate winner of the full 10 rounds) and rounds 6 to 10, won by Joeys (who came 4th after 10 rounds when for and against is taken into account)

Joeys were definitely the form team of the second round, Rounds 6-10 (I seem to remember predicting they would be unbeaten, they won 4 out of 5).

Had it been a 1 round comp and the second round was the competition, then Joeys would have been worthy winners. Given they had some serious talent in the backs (3 Aus schoolboys) hardly a surprising result.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Just perhaps, many Headmasters have decided that the "arms race" (h/t David Kirk) may not support the development of young men. Limiting the number of games of consequence will probably lead to the limiting of expenditure on rugby programs, and a greater focus on year-round sporting participation plus education.

The biggest issue isn't the debate around one or two rounds. Most importantly, AAGPS elite rugby is now narrowly confined to only 6 teams. 3 games per weekend. That's no good for the development of rugby in Australia.
Again, just perhaps, the Headmasters have looked long term and are hoping that fewer "matches of consequence" will lead to a lessening of scholarships and expensive rugby programs which in turn may lead to an evening up of playing talent across all GPS schools. Ultimately leading to the re-introduction of High and Grammar at 1sts level - and an 8 team, 7 game GPS competition.

Great Post FF (Folau Fainga'a),

I think you have pretty well nailed it. Not sure High and Grammar will get back, be great if they did.

I posted something similar and called it a downgrading of the comp.

I think that by playing as many opposition teams as possible will mean more diversity and more opportunity to win at least some games. (Weather they are competition or trail matches is another matter).

Not sure which schools pushed hardest for change, but I think you at right in the fact it will help remove the temptation for inducements and scholarships. And I would not be at all surprised if Scots were not fully on board after the good Doctors near death experience.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No bush lawyer activity to see here I'm sorry @IS. Suggest you put your Akubra and moleskin back on and do some more research on the reverse onus of proof, as presenting cherry picked quotes from the Supreme Court in isolation doesn't prove anything other than you are proficient with Google search.

Moleskins - in the old days anyone following kings would have known that: hi viz and hard hat has a lot to answer for since the GFC.
Lexis Nexis rather than Google, actually. google it.

Status
Not open for further replies.