• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

Rich, I meant spot on, not spit on!

The way I saw that game was that Scots were too good on the day and the Waverley coaches would have taken a lot out of that game knowing they'd have a full compliment of players for the next competition round.

I thought Scots gained a lot of possession and Waverley were on the back foot for a lot of the game and Scots ended up dominating.

And last but not least, it was only a trial match.

I dont think a lack of fitness was a big issue with Waverley last season. They continued to get better on the back of their improved forward play and thus their improved ball security. The forwards, after getting off to a slow start, ended up playing just as skillfully and confidently as the backs, and their support play and ability to offload became their strengths. They continued to gel as a team, to play confidently and to enjoy themselves.

Waverley's performance and win against Knox in the second round was vastly improved from their first-round defeat through a lot of good hard work from the players and coaches.

Everyone from the Waves camp were looking forward to that second round clash and it was worth the wait, such is the intense tribalism of schoolboy rugby. People came out of the woodwork to visit Queens Park that day and the atmosphere was electric. It would have been a shame to have been robbed of that opportunity (and the subsequent memory).

But I still dont know how Waverley and Knox would have gone in the GPS comp. Making predictions based on the analyses and results of a trial game doesnt add up. I suppose we'll find out next season.

Btw, the halfback made the Australian Barbarians team while the winger was unlucky.

Tahs247

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sideline, How will Waverley fare next year, Many returning players? It will be very interesting to see how they along with Knox go with the big boys.

S

sidelineview

Sideline, How will Waverley fare next year, Many returning players? It will be very interesting to see how they along with Knox go with the big boys.

They'll have a very strong team and an especially strong forward pack but the back three are a question mark at this stage.
Who knows how them and Knox will go against the GPS schools ? i have no idea. We'll see.

Tahs247

Allen Oxlade (6)
I have to say they were pretty impressive against Newington in the pre-season trial. Although going down by a few they matched them and stayed competitive. If my memory strikes me right their 16's weren't bad either. The one problem i see would be depth compared to some of the GPS schools. Anyway should be some good match ups.

S

sidelineview

I have to say they were pretty impressive against Newington in the pre-season trial. Although going down by a few they matched them and stayed competitive. If my memory strikes me right their 16's weren't bad either. The one problem i see would be depth compared to some of the GPS schools. Anyway should be some good match ups.

Their depth was the strongest in a long time last season. It should be pretty good again next year but then it doesn't look good for the next couple of years after that based on results from the younger age groups.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Waverley, performed well in the opens against Newington from the 2nd XV downwards. In the age Divisions, their A teams were pretty well hammered by Newington.
16As NC 39-19
15As NC 41-5
14As NC No score, but it was a runaway win to New
13As NC No Score, but a good win
I can't produce many scores due to both schools not publishing results. Or results I can't find.

These results reflect that Newington's A teams are well managed and coached. Will tours and Rugby Camps. This was very evident following the July Holidays where Trinity Teams. As well as the GPS schools that played Newington, in the last matches of the season, founded them to be tough, dangerous and skilled opponents.

Unfortunately, Newington lacks depth below their B teams and Waverley proved stronger as a rule in the lower grades.

Tahs247

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interesting scores. Funny how that Waverley won the CAS in the 16's but Newington accounted for them pretty easily, yet Newington finished 3rd in GPS. This is the gap that i am concerned about. Anyway i hope that it's a very successful comp and the boys have enjoy it.

RonnyGibbs

Herbert Moran (7)
Interesting scores. Funny how that Waverley won the CAS in the 16's but Newington accounted for them pretty easily, yet Newington finished 3rd in GPS. This is the gap that i am concerned about. Anyway i hope that it's a very successful comp and the boys have enjoy it.

New lost a few players after round one and these player didn't return until round 2. New out scored Kings in tries and the disallowed try in round one was even called a try by the kings supporters. The second round lose to kings was a replacement ref ruling in the last minute at home. The 28 all draw at new v joeys was a good battle but we must remember that new had three u16s in the ones.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
As I read more of this thread I feel an eerie similarity to the Shute Shield circa 2000.

Either you want to maintain the traditions that make this competition great, OR you want to develop the standard of rugby. Sadly, You can't have both.

In the Clubs, you can't develop programs centred around playing excellence and professionalism while effectively maintaining the social and enjoyable aspects of 4th Grade rugby.

At School, how do you ask some Schools to compete on an equal footing in 1st and XV's while making sure your 14 F's get a game with the same (or similar) school.

The quality of top level School rugby has reached a point where you either give up on the development for the sake of the lower grades or you change the competition to try and accommodate the evolution.

This is not a defence of the current changes being made the GPS competition, but those trying to hang on to the School Association based programs are, in effect, stunting the development of very talented rugby players.

As a separate observation; if trial matches are of now importance, who in the GPS with their hand on their heart can say they don't care about a loss to a CAS school. And how long would a Joey's coach (for example) have a job if they got dusted by Aloy's. Trials or not.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
UNOFFICIAL TIPPING COMP.

Please specify how many wins do you think CAS teams will collectively chalk up in 5 rounds of trials with GPS. No need to nominate which teams will win. No prizes. I will report winners in week commencing 29 May. There are 12 CAS v GPS trials. To participate in comp simply post number of games you think CAS will win.

My tip: 3

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Waverley, performed well in the opens against Newington from the 2nd XV downwards. In the age Divisions, their A teams were pretty well hammered by Newington.
16As NC 39-19
15As NC 41-5
14As NC No score, but it was a runaway win to New
13As NC No Score, but a good win
I can't produce many scores due to both schools not publishing results. Or results I can't find.

These results reflect that Newington's A teams are well managed and coached. Will tours and Rugby Camps. This was very evident following the July Holidays where Trinity Teams. As well as the GPS schools that played Newington, in the last matches of the season, founded them to be tough, dangerous and skilled opponents.

Unfortunately, Newington lacks depth below their B teams and Waverley proved stronger as a rule in the lower grades.

B&W, a slight correction.
You are correct the Waverley 14's and 15's were not very strong last year BUT the 16a' s were a great side, think they improved immensely as the year progressed.
The Waverley 13a side was completely in control of the New side, up 14 blot when many changes were made, and to be fair it was the 1st game for both sides!
I also believe the 13a New side beat a previously undefeated 13a Joeys side latter in the year. I think Knox and Waverley will go well against the GPS teams next year in this age group,next year 14a's. The CAS teams in this age group got hammered by these teams.

As we all know, few schools are exceptionally strong in ALL age groups, but I do completely agree with the thoughts of Rugby Central, I think he is cutting through the BS.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
UNOFFICIAL TIPPING COMP.

Please specify how many wins do you think CAS teams will collectively chalk up in 5 rounds of trials with GPS. No need to nominate which teams will win. No prizes. I will report winners in week commencing 29 May. There are 12 CAS v GPS trials. To participate in comp simply post number of games you think CAS will win.

Rich _E,

I don't think it's about just next year, it may take a few years to strengthen the depth of these teams, but it is about broadening the comp, and that all teams are typically competitive. Obviously team strength will vary by year, and each school has the responsibility of being competitive, otherwise relegation to tier 2.
Fair enough?

The truth is in days gone by these CAS schools often beat the GPS schools, fact.
So this isn't a stretch,if these schools are serious, otherwise they should have not nominated themselves.

It would be nice to have an explanation from the decision makers, and the "plan" unveiled,i think we all agree with that!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
At School, how do you ask some Schools to compete on an equal footing in 1st and XV's while making sure your 14 F's get a game with the same (or similar) school.

But this has always happened. No two schools have exactly the same number of teams in opens and down through the age groups.

If for example school 1 goes down to Hs and school 2 only goes down to Es then the respective sports masters have always offset fixtures and played teams from other schools to fill gaps. This new format won't change that at all.

Example

School 1 School 2
A v A
B v B
D v C
F v D
H v E

The Cs, Es and Gs from school 1 would be matched up with teams of approximately equal ability from other schools. There are always teams left over every week of the season and always will be.

S

sidelineview

Rich _E,

I don't think it's about just next year, it may take a few years to strengthen the depth of these teams, but it is about broadening the comp, and that all teams are typically competitive. Obviously team strength will vary by year, and each school has the responsibility of being competitive, otherwise relegation to tier 2.
Fair enough?

The truth is in days gone by these CAS schools often beat the GPS schools, fact.
So this isn't a stretch,if these schools are serious, otherwise they should have not nominated themselves.

It would be nice to have an explanation from the decision makers, and the "plan" unveiled,i think we all agree with that!

and how will some schools strengthen their depth? by praying?

and in ''days gone by'' were soccer and AFL major school sports?

As I read more of this thread I feel an eerie similarity to the Shute Shield circa 2000.

Either you want to maintain the traditions that make this competition great, OR you want to develop the standard of rugby. Sadly, You can't have both.

In the Clubs, you can't develop programs centred around playing excellence and professionalism while effectively maintaining the social and enjoyable aspects of 4th Grade rugby.

The quality of top level School rugby has reached a point where you either give up on the development for the sake of the lower grades or you change the competition to try and accommodate the evolution.

This is not a defence of the current changes being made the GPS competition, but those trying to hang on to the School Association based programs are, in effect, stunting the development of very talented rugby players.

As a separate observation; if trial matches are of now importance, who in the GPS with their hand on their heart can say they don't care about a loss to a CAS school. And how long would a Joey's coach (for example) have a job if they got dusted by Aloy's. Trials or not.

The development of players doesnt get stunted under the current competition format. They graduate to rep level rugby in State and National Championships and then play colts or grade when they leave school.
The opportunity to play school rep rugby exists from the U16s.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
UNOFFICIAL TIPPING COMP.

Excellent idea Rich: 1

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Excellent idea Rich: 1

Agree - Knox a 50/50 chance at best of beating Shore. Although, I wouldn't even put your money on this Azzuri.

There's every chance that it will be

chicken-and-egg-smaller.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.