• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
And that should be the last post on the restructure of the competition.

As has been said previously it is what it is and nothing on here, no matter how often that message is posted, will change things.

Unless there is some fundamentally new information that comes to light, how about laying off the rants on the 2017 competition structure.

Fair enough. Now looking ahead to the footy, would anyone else like to join in my tipping comp by predicting how many games the CAS schools will win from the 12 trial matches scheduled against GPS schools for 2017.

So far we have:

Me - 3
Azzuri - 1
QH - a golden chicken/duck

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Also anyone prepared to pick a 1st XV and provide some thoughts on Riverview.

I have put my hand up to write the AAGPS season preview again this year and I will need to predict who will finish 1 to 6.

My high level thoughts are that Scots, Kings, Joeys and Newington will all have strong sides and with the shortened format and the extra importance of getting off to a good start, I could see any (or possibly a couple) of these teams with hands on the trophy at the end.

I can't see Shore winning, but I reckon they could improve and not finish last. Especially if they win in weeks 1 or 2.

But View I know very little about. So get busy View supporters. Because unless I have a good idea of the calibre of team you will field in 2017, it's impossible for me to consider them a premiership threat when the ink dries on my season preview.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
It would be interesting to know who is returning for Riverview and who might makeup the 1st XV.

And be even more interesting to know of any late editions as seems to happen Lane cove way,

Rourke & Easy we know are all class Rourke should be a shoo-in for 2017 Aus Schoolboys for 1 of the breakaway spots. Easy will also be in contention for high rep honors,

Cant see View being anything other than very competitive,

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
It would be interesting to know who is returning for Riverview and who might makeup the 1st XV.

And be even more interesting to know of any late editions as seems to happen Lane cove way,

Rourke & Easy we know are all class Rourke should be a shoo-in for 2017 Aus Schoolboys for 1 of the breakaway spots. Easy will also be in contention for high rep honors,

Cant see View being anything other than very competitive,

I suspect View will be strong. They always are. But will they start favourites? Will they be contenders for a top 3 spot? Or will they just be nuciance value? Yes Rorke and Easy are back. Matt Dutaillis and Tom Glascott made NSW Under 17s 7s side and they would have to have a few back from their 2nds, which placed 2nd. But thats all i know at this stage.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I suspect View will be strong. They always are. But will they start favourites? Will they be contenders for a top 3 spot? Or will they just be nuciance value? Yes Rorke and Easy are back. Matt Dutaillis and Tom Glascott made NSW Under 17s 7s side and they would have to have a few back from their 2nds, which placed 2nd. But thats all i know at this stage.

Why do you think Kings will be strong? They had a very strong 2016 side, but they will have a big cleanout of all their rep players. Not sure who is coming through from 16's

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Why do you think Kings will be strong? They had a very strong 2016 side, but they will have a big cleanout of all their rep players. Not sure who is coming through from 16's

Azzuri posted a possible Kings side a while back on this thread that looked quite good on paper. Here it is..

1. Dougal Hicks (first XV in 2016) - AAGPS White
2. Ciaran Loh (2nd XV in 2016 - some First XV experience)
3. Jonathan Papantoniou (2nd XV in 2016 - some first XV experience)
4. Mac Williams (first XV in 2016) AAGPS White
5. Tbc
6. Nick Pepper (2016 16a?)
7. Charlie Brown (2016 First XV)
8. Sam Loch - (2016 16a's)
9. Henry Robbo
10. Matt Minogue (2016 16a's)
11. Eddie Mann
12. Eddie Poolman (2016 2nd XV)
13. Ben Duckworth (2016 First XV) AAGPS White
14. Lachlan Apps
15. Tbc

Also a stack of players not listed above made Presidents teams this year, including 4 of 8 from Presidents B pack

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Lot of boys in that list I don't know.

I would rate 2016 Kings as a very good team, plenty of rep talent, The likes of Peitch, Orpen, Brown, Osbourne.

Not sure 2017 will have the same level of rep talent. (But as Scots knows, you don't need any of that to win a comp).

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Lot of boys in that list I don't know.

I would rate 2016 Kings as a very good team, plenty of rep talent, The likes of Peitch, Orpen, Brown, Osbourne.

Not sure 2017 will have the same level of rep talent. (But as Scots knows, you don't need any of that to win a comp).

Agree. But I reckon they will produce a new batch of Rep players next season. Players to watch, IMO are:

Mac Williams (4), straight out of the same mould as Nick Brown and outplayed Nick IMO in the round 1 match against Scots out at Nth Parra.
Eddie Poolman (12). I can't believe he didn't make 1sts this year and probably would have in any other year except last year where Matt Orpen stood before him.

Any team that has around 10 returning from this years 1sts and 2nds and around 8 picked for this year's Presidents A and B teams (although there may be a small degree of double counting) should be very competitive.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Agree. But I reckon they will produce a new batch of Rep players next season. Players to watch, IMO are:

Mac Williams (4), straight out of the same mould as Nick Brown and outplayed Nick IMO in the round 1 match against Scots out at Nth Parra.
Eddie Poolman (12). I can't believe he didn't make 1sts this year and probably would have in any other year except last year where Matt Orpen stood before him.

Any team that has around 10 returning from this years 1sts and 2nds and around 8 picked for this year's Presidents A and B teams (although there may be a small degree of double counting) should be very competitive.

Very True Rich.....Id also include Ben Duckworth in the "players to watch" category as he also recently repped in NSW school boy sevens.....and keep an eye out for Jonathan Papantoniou at tight head. I'm looking forward to the "Clash of the Apex Predators" when he matches up against Luke Edwards from Shore.

In fact I feel bad singling out players, as like 2016, this is a talented crew and many of the 2017 Kings First XV lads will deservedly be pushing for rep honours next year.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I saw Papantoniou play last year and rate him highly.

Not sure If Kings are real contenders just yet. I probably don't have them in the top 3.

But luckily we will have lots of trials to assess form and re-evaluate before season proper.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
I saw Papantoniou play last year and rate him highly.

Not sure If Kings are real contenders just yet. I probably don't have them in the top 3.

But luckily we will have lots of trials to assess form and re-evaluate before season proper.

Who's in your top 3 and why

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Shore !!! Hands down. Everyone else needs to be ready with their white flags!.... when it comes to canteen food!

Dutchy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Surely we would need to take into consideration the expert opinions of the voting audience and go with the top three being:

Joeys 20 votes, Shore 20 votes & Scots 11 votes

Otherwise we would be suggesting the voting audience doesn't know what they are talking about :)

Status
Not open for further replies.