• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
According to the AAGPS website, 3rds results are:

I 15 d H 5
T 14 d S 10
J 14 d K 12
G 8 d E 5

All very close games.
TAS and Joeys undefeated after 2 rounds

Thanks, QH, The evenness is quite remarkable, really. Over four games Saturday the total gap between winners and losers was just 19 points! With help from you all, I have just about enough for my next round review!

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
^^^^^
Grammar has a tough road-trip up and over the Range in Round 3. (But aren't they all heading up to TAS?!)

Belshaw's Boys are looking good in Season 2017 and, albeit still a long way to go, the 5/08/17 Round 6 clash at HH should already be pencilled in as a "speshhhal". :)

Pity the 1's and 2's JoeBoys play away that day at Stanmore, because it means the 3's match will likely get pencilled in straight after breakfast time.

Hi CJ. Not sure the TAS team would like being typed as Belshaw's Boys!. :) I am just a commenter.

I think Grammar is bringing all grades and I'm not discounting their chances of causing an upset despite the travel. They have done it before.

I agree that the TAS/SJ match could well be the determining match of the comp. Expect a big show from both sides.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Three posts from me in a row is too much. This one is is a little different and I promise to shut up for a while after it. :)

The firsts gets lots of coverage here, while I do my promotional best with the thirds. That leaves the seconds.

Now as a person who spent two and a half years in the seconds and who got just one rep match when the firsts were in Sydney and eight TAS seconds were selected to play in a combined New England team against a visiting international school boy team, I have a fairly strong feeling for the seconds.

I wondered if there was anybody or anybodies who might want to take on the role of promoting/reporting the seconds comp? I think that it might make for more interest/depth here. Does this make sense?

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Hi CJ. Not sure the TAS team would like being typed as Belshaw's Boys!. :) I am just a commenter.

I think Grammar is bringing all grades and I'm not discounting their chances of causing an upset despite the travel. They have done it before.

I agree that the TAS/SJ match could well be the determining match of the comp. Expect a big show from both sides.

Aahhh, gotta love the 3's Comp, Father Jim. We all do!
Early days, yes, but each game is meaningfully tighter than a fishy's own, while swimming backwards and upstream!

Hope the lads enjoy their long w'end, give the injured some chance to recover a bit, and 'bring it' in a fortnight's time, across all grades. Yay!

Huly

Chris McKivat (8)
High went down to view 15-5 yesterday. Close contest but View ran away with it in the end by capitalising well off High errors. Contrary to my earlier predictions, this High side is looking pretty decent and I wouldn't count them out for an upset here and there.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
High went down to view 15-5 yesterday. Close contest but View ran away with it in the end by capitalising well off High errors. Contrary to my earlier predictions, this High side is looking pretty decent and I wouldn't count them out for an upset here and there.

That's really good news, Huly, for all those who have been following High in hope. It adds to the tightness of the contest.

Chris F

Bob McCowan (2)
I won't disagree with you .... I stand to be corrected but I think it may be up to the school involved .... perhaps IS can shed some light on this ....

I can confirm that the school gave him a week and the GPS powers that be gave him a week resulting in two weeks total.

ROllaway11

Frank Row (1)
After the respective trial games
Here is my GPS TEAM FOR 2017
1. Angus Bell (N)
2. Julian Haven (J)
3.Darcy Breen (S)
4.Jeremy Williams (S)
5. John Yates (J)
6. Charlie Rorke (I)
7. Charlie Brown (K)
8. Rory Lynch (N)
9. Dylan Dowling (J)
10. Matt Minogue
11. Thomas Yassmin (S)
12. Tristan Reilly (J)
13. Billy Smith (S)
14. Matt Dutalis(I)
15. Angus Bell (I)

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
New

After the respective trial games
Here is my GPS TEAM FOR 2017
1. Luke Edwards (E)
2. Julian Haven (J)
3.Darcy Breen (S)
4.Jeremy Williams (S)
5. John Yates (J)
6. Charlie Rorke (I)
7. Charlie Brown (K)
8. William Harris (S)
9. Dylan Dowling (J)
10. Matt Minogue
11. Thomas Yassmin (S)
12. Tristan Reilly (J)
13. Billy Smith (S)
14. Matt Dutalis(I)
15. Angus Bell (I)​
Rollaway11, I would be very surprised to see no Newington players in GPS 1 team. Admittedly I haven't seen them play. Your selections by school S (5), J (4), I (3), K (2), E (1), N (0), T (0), G (0), H (0)​

ROllaway11

Frank Row (1)
Rollaway11, I would be very surprised to see no Newington players in GPS 1 team. Admittedly I haven't seen them play. Your selections by school S (5), J (4), I (3), K (2), E (1), N (0), T (0), G (0), H (0)​
Fair point, I have made changes accordingly
Credit to those newington boys
Been good all year
My mistake
Possible Mac Williams in a GPS 1s jersey

S

sidelineview

near-full game footage >>

Thanks for the video again. Great stuff.

I thought both 9s looked good.
Rorke scored a good try. Expect to see him at Riverview in July.
The number 2 for Joeys had a strong game.
Who's the 7 for Joeys? he's only small but has a high work rate, plays with good aggression and can tackle.
And talking about small. Who's the Joey's 18 who injects so much energy into the game when he takes the field. He's got some talent that boy. Is he a Year 11 student?
The Joeys 14 looks classy any time he touches the ball.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Sidelineview

The 2 half back will likely be battling it out for the GPS 1st half back spot. I think Dowling would be incumbent but Grant took risks and played very well.

On the other players. Here is additional detail:

View #6 Charles Rorke 2016 Australian Barbarians and member of Waratahs U20 Gen Blue Yr 12
View #9 William Grant 2016 GPS White (Res) Yr 12

Joeys #9 Dylan Dowling Joeys Yr 12 2016 Combined States
Joeys #7 Paddy Dalton Yr 12 2016 GPS White
Joeys #2 James Bouchier Yr 12
Joeys #18 Joseph Kandalaft Yr 12
Joeys #14 Xavier Ryan Yr 11

Rugby Season

Stan Wickham (3)
Sidelineview

The 2 half back will likely be battling it out for the GPS 1st half back spot. I think Dowling would be incumbent but Grant took risks and played very well.

On the other players. Here is additional detail:

View #6 Charles Rorke 2016 Australian Barbarians and member of Waratahs U20 Gen Blue Yr 12
View #9 William Grant 2016 GPS White (Res) Yr 12

Joeys #9 Dylan Dowling Joeys Yr 12 2016 Combined States
Joeys #7 Paddy Dalton Yr 12 2016 GPS White
Joeys #2 James Bouchier Yr 12
Joeys #18 Joseph Kandalaft Yr 12
Joeys #14 Xavier Ryan Yr 11

There seemed to be a lot of reserves for Joeys in the second half which may have skewed the result a bit with more fuel than View notwithstanding View got 2 late tries. One young kid was everywhere running, bumping and tackling. Are Joeys that unsettled with their lineup even after all the trials?

Short_Ball_Steven

Stan Wickham (3)
There seemed to be a lot of reserves for Joeys in the second half which may have skewed the result a bit with more fuel than View notwithstanding View got 2 late tries. One young kid was everywhere running, bumping and tackling. Are Joeys that unsettled with their lineup even after all the trials?

No I think the coaches just wanted to test out a few players, give some younger kids experience in a pressuring situation that is the Joeys vs View game. I think it will benefit them greatly in the future if players get injured and they can bring others on who have already had played in big games such as the one on Saturday.

In saying that both 9 (Dowling) and 10 (Creagh) for Joeys I believe were subbed off for injury reasons. This meant that Joeys were playing with they're 3rd choice halfback, who had played a full game in the 3rds earlier on Saturday, and the 2nds flyhalf- who's in year 10- for the final minutes of the game, along with many other substitutions made.

Joeys are in a good position IMO when they can still manage to see out games with a completely different backline (minus 1 player) to what they had when they beat Scots at Bellevue Hill a couple weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
No I think the coaches just wanted to test out a few players, give some younger kids experience in a pressuring situation that is the Joeys vs View game. I think it will benefit them greatly in the future if players get injured and they can bring others on who have already had played in big games such as the one on Saturday.

I think there were 3 maybe 4 year 10 boys on the field at the end.

My personal opinion is that Joeys have treated all the trials as genuine trials and have given as many boys as they feel are capable an opportunity to impress.

There were mutterings around early form against Marist Canberra and The Southport School. On the scoreboard Joeys lost both (albeit narrowly) but what wasn't recognised was they rotated through 20-30 players through each match!

Joeys settled their squads for what I would call the "competition" trials; Scots, Waverley, Shore, Knox and View. Running on between 3 - 5 reserves per match to test them out.

They however have also called up a range of players due to injury, up to 6 for some games.

Within what I would call their Firsts "quorum" they have moved players around in various positions (some as many as 3 different starting positions) to give other boys the opportunity to be tested.

How many schools can have the luxury to have their front row play, second row! and back row? Jansen, Heaven and Yates

Or able to play in the forwards and backs? Quinn, Scolari and Houston?

Likewise a number of backs interchanging centre, wing or fullback? O'Brien, Chan, Carey and Shortis.

This investment in the season in my opinion is prudent and we will see the merit of that strategy in time.

Joeys have a substantial depth of talent. Some outstanding players have really stepped up giving "nice selection headaches". Some will be disappointed by not making the starting XV but geez they will make for some exciting "finishers"

Status
Not open for further replies.