• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Fulltime anyone? Players who performed / look good for NSW selection tmrw?

Not sure score but in the end was a flogging CHS played well early but once behind got very very tired. I liked Poolman (K) very very good think will be no 12 nsw 1s and hardaker (W) to no 13. There the best 2 centres imo . Good luck to all players .

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Thanks Show n Go. I liked the look of Poolman v CAS on Tues, but probably gave a split point decision to Hardaker for his speed off the line and uncanny ability to find intercept tries, as he has done in match after match against good opposition this season. If Donaldson is NSW 1s FH as I think he deserves after dominating on Tues, then I'd keep the Waverley/CAS 10 & 12 combo and perhaps play Poolman at 13.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Thanks Show n Go. I liked the look of Poolman v CAS on Tues, but probably gave a split point decision to Hardaker for his speed off the line and uncanny ability to find intercept tries, as he has done in match after match against good opposition this season. If Donaldson is NSW 1s FH as I think he deserves after dominating on Tues, then I'd keep the Waverley/CAS 10 & 12 combo and perhaps play Poolman at 13.

Donaldson will be no 10 for nsw 1s for sure no question about that.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
NSWSRU 1st XV: B Abra (SSC), D Breen (TKS), M Cutrone (KGS), M Douglas (SAC), B Donaldson, (WC), D Dowling (SJC), A Driti (GHS), D Freeman (KWS), N Frost (KGS), B Hardaker (WC), A Hopoate (SAC), L Ilias (TGS), W Johnston (WC), W Lloyd (BC), K Loh (TKS), L Moretti (WC), L Reimer (BC), H Robertson (TKS), C Rorke (SIC), B Smith (TSC), J Williams (TSC), J Walton (WCHS), T Woodcock (KGS)

NSWSRU 2nd XV: A Bell (NC), A Bell (SIC), M Bell (WC), W Bremner (CHS), J Burgess (KHS), L Cornish (WC), D Easy (SIC), L Edwards (Shore), W Harris (TSC), H Hayward (SAC), E Lambert (PHS), E Poolman (TKS), S Rahme (SAC), C Savala (TSC), M Stead (TGS), D Tejcek (BC), J Thomas (SSC), H Ward (SSC), H Whelan (SAC), M Williams (TKS), H Wilson (SAC), F Wright (WC), T Yassmin (TKS).

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
NSWSRU 1st XV

Head Coach: Lachlan White - Trinity Grammar school
Assistant Coach: Dean Hargreaves - Barker College
Manager: Saxon Bowles - Oakhill College
Physiotherapist: Narelle Veverka

NSWSRU 2nd XV

Head Coach: Brian Smith - The Scots College
Assistant Coach: Tom Hart - Cranbrook School
Manager: Peter Reeves - Chevalier College
Physiotherapist: Harry Fardell T.B.C.

http://nswsru.wixsite.com/nswsru

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Congratulations to the GPS boys selected. It would appear results do indeed matter and collective form has prevailed.

Really surprised 1 Joeys boy selected. Congratulations Dylan Dowling.
Aloys is well represented across both NSW teams. Wav as well but that was expected. Kings and Scots must be favourites for the GPS comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
performance in the schools trials looks to have been fairly rewarded with CAS players and Wavcol in particular very well represented in 1's and 2's.

The stats however also confirm the sad truth that the game is still failing to capture the hearts and minds of players in the public system with only 8 players making the top 61.

Ioverugby24/7

Frank Nicholson (4)
NSW Schools Rugby Championships

Carigul Oval, North Turramurra

23rd June 2017

Knox Grammar very kindly hosted the 2017 NSW Secondary Schools State Championships on 23rd June 2017. It’s a good venue and creates a rugby community atmosphere at Carigul Oval. A light Southerly blew a cool breeze across the oval. However, with the best schoolboy rugby players in NSW on show - things out on the field were about to heat-up!

The first game of the State Carnival kicked off on time at 10.00am.

AICES Vs ISA II

The game started with both forward packs badly fumbling ball and showing poor handling skills. Neither of the backlines were passing or running smoothly. Possession was shared, however it was proving to be a messy game of errors by both teams. Despite this, ISA managed to scramble for several tries – many against the run of play.

26-7 half time

The 2nd half continued to be a dour game, not reflective of the talent on the field, with too many handling errors by both teams. The boys were becoming increasingly frustrated. AICES in particular would have been disappointed with their performance. It wasn’t that ISA II were playing particularly well, they were just making fewer mistakes and putting together 3-4 phases, instead of 1-2.

Ultimately, ISA II won this game by having fewer errors and managing to string together more phases through both the forward and backs.

Final score ISA def AICES 46-7

CAS II Vs CCC

CAS II started hesitantly with their forwards making several handling errors. CCC scored first with a barging direct run from their 13.

However, CCC did not look like scoring for the rest of the game. The CAS II backline defense was rock solid. They also looked very impressive with ball in hand – Their 10 spinning it wide through the hands and making good metres at will. CAS started to pile-on the points. Their backline structure in both defence and attack was very controlled and well disciplined. Possibly best backline at the carnival.

CCC forwards were doing some spirited work and disrupting the CAS II forward pack. CAS II forwards must have handed-over 50% possession in the 2nd half.

Based on their quality of play and results, I rate this CAS team as 2nd or 3rd best team in this comp.

Final score: CAS II 40 def CCC 7

CAS I Vs ISA I

CAS I were penalised heavily in 1st half and couldn’t retain possession. The error rate was very high and this looked like a very different team to the one that beat GPS and kept them scoreless on Tuesday night.

CAS backline was not working well at all, and a combination of poor passes and knock-ons kept ISA well in the hunt for most of the first half. At this stage, the ISA I forwards were playing better than CAS forward pack.

The ISA backs were also sending it wide, running freely and making metres around the edges. They were looking much more confident than CAS backs.

Halftime 7-7 all. ISA were looking strong. Could this be an upset?

The only Yellow card of the day was given to Finn Wright from CAS for a fairly innocuous off-side play. Many were surprised that it was worthy of yellow.

CAS finally managed to retain possession and ran-in 2 tries.

CAS’s momentum swung with ISA dropping off in defence and perhaps looking a little less fit. This also coincided with CAS running on their reserves.

Overall I would say that CAS forward pack slightly outclassed ISA. However, ISA backs looked stronger and more dangerous than CAS with ball in hand. This was a surprise.

CAS I 28 def ISA I7

GPS II VS CHS II

Another game full of handling errors. There were a lot of nervous boys out there today!

19-12 to GPS II at half time. However, CHS II were putting on a real show.

The CHS boys look ‘hard’ and at times flashy,but technically a bit loose. GPS continued to struggle putting phases together.

GPS succeeded in swinging it wide in 2nd half and making good metres.

CHS were very unstructured, but didn't give up in a good fight.

After the dominant tackle of the day by GPS on the huge CHS No. 3 - driving him back from the GPS try line, CHS crossed for a 4th consolation try. A feisty effort by CHS II against the better drilled GPS team.

Final score GPS II 45 def CHS II 22

GPS I VS CHS I

From the kick-off, GPS scored early with fast hands and the GPS winger scored in the corner.

CHS quickly fought back with a great try to 12 Joey Walton.

CHS were then leading 5-7 for 15 minutes and had the smell of blood. Their spirits lifted.

The GPS backs were being overly selfish, and then often dropping ball.

GPS I were not performing to the standard that we have typically expected from them at this carnival. Perhaps they were rattled from their defeat in Tuesday night, or just nervous. The large CHS boys were disrupting them and in some areas dominating.

Finally, GPS managed to run straight and score under the posts. The GPS conversion attempt was charged down by CHS 11 Kichie Nuvuso. It’s not very often you see that!

GPS then followed-up with a Try to replacement 10 Dom Easy.

It had taken 1 1/2 games, however we were finally seeing the GPS team that we are used to seeing. The boys were clicking, recycling possession and putting together many phases through forwards and back.

GPS were finally hitting their straps and a barnstorming run by Charlie Rorke led to another try.

Rorke, Mac Williams, Breen and Bell started dominating the game. However - it was against some defence that CHS will not be happy with.

The fragile CHS defence opened-up around the middle allowing GPS to run-in several tries towards the end for a one-sided win.

GPS I 66 def CHS I7

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Interesting yarn in today's SMH Fitz Files

Some of you were there. It was a brisk Saturday afternoon at Hunters Hill, 1987 on Joeys' No.1 Oval as their mighty 1st XV took on the brave challengers from Scots College 1st XV. It is a dour struggle as the brilliance of Joeys is all but evenly countered by the sheer resilience and never-say-die of Scots, with Joeys just ahead in the final minute, until ... Until just as the Joeys backs are unveiling a silky move right on the Scots line, young Craig Baker, out on the Scots wing, takes matters into his own hands. As a looping Joeys pass heads his way, he decides to take his chances, and goes for the ball. He's got it! He's off. Baker sets sail for the Joeys line 90 metres away, with the entire Joeys team after him, with history on his shoulder and ... gets there! Under the posts, you bloody beauty, and Scots indeed secure an iconic 10-6 victory, as history indeed smiles.

Fast forward now to two Saturdays ago. Similar day. Similar scene. And blow me down if Joeys don't unveil much the same move, only for the Scots winger, yes, Charlie Baker to intercept, and run away for the killer try! Scots go on to win 23-19. Like father, like son, and well done, the fabulous Baker boys. Deja vu, all over again, AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.