• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Shore controlled and maintained virtually no possession. As UTG mentioned in his match report, at times it looked like a Joeys training run

Yes that was me in the match report. In my observations of schoolboy rugby the outcome of the game hinges much more heavily on the mentality brought to the game by both sides than any other level of rugby. The Knox and Waverly packs Shore came up against in the previous two trials were much bigger than Joeys but I would guess they didn't have the same aurora around them as the Joeys 1st XV and Shore were much more committed defensively and, for example, were able to keep Knox try less in the second half.

That's not to say that if Shore change their pregame mentality they will suddenly become world beaters but I have often seen schoolboy teams who play with a whole lot of mongrel and pride edge out teams with more stars across the park. If the boys in the Shore 1st XV are prepared to leave everything out on the field I doubt they'd see 80 put on them again this season.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I have often seen schoolboy teams who play with a whole lot of mongrel and pride edge out teams with more stars across the park. If the boys in the Shore 1st XV are prepared to leave everything out on the field I doubt they'd see 80 put on them again this season.

I dont disagree UTG. Barker will be smelling "blood in the water" and will be looking for another GPS scalp on Saturday. I suspect they will also be looking to win by a strong margin.

I hope for Shore Rugby's sake that the boys selected in the Firsts for this Saturday bring their A game and play with mongrel pride and passion. Whilst not a Shore supporter, an 80 blot result brings no one in the GPS any joy.

Sydney Rugby Fan

Allen Oxlade (6)
Shore started from scratch again completely with a 1s vs 2s trial match yesterday, will be interesting to see how many changes they make. I doubt any changes will lead to a radical increase in skills they would more be looking for the boys who have that extra bit of mongrel in them.

I was at Joeys on Saturday (lets just say I was quite close to the action) and the key issue I saw from the Shore 1st XV was their tackling technique, or lack of it; too many times Joeys just rumbled up the middle breaking first up tackles with close at hand support to offload to - once they were eventually tackled and brought to ground they would do this again (the Joeys bench kept calling out - 'take two up!'); then they would spread the ball wide when the eventual overlap was present and available...

Mongrel is needed - yes, but so is the essential skill of tackling...

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I was at Joeys on Saturday (lets just say I was quite close to the action) and the key issue I saw from the Shore 1st XV was their tackling technique, or lack of it; too many times Joeys just rumbled up the middle breaking first up tackles with close at hand support to offload to - once they were eventually tackled and brought to ground they would do this again (the Joeys bench kept calling out - 'take two up!'); then they would spread the ball wide when the eventual overlap was present and available.

Mongrel is needed - yes, but so is the essential skill of tackling.

Obviously there are major issues with Shore's defence up the middle, evidenced by the fact in all three trials teams have made a number of metres up the middle, but I think they've demonstrated in the periods of the games against sides with much bigger packs than Joeys that they can indeed defend reasonably. This is why I see it as much of an attitude problem as I do a skill problem. Any sense of a good technique tends to evaporate if you're shying away from the tackle contest.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So the match up with Newington and Waverly could be the hardest challenge faced by both schools to date. Last year a washout cancelled the game a real disappointment. It's a pity I shall be working, but I am sure it will be test both teams who will benefit, as they represent best (to date) of the GPS and CAS competitions. However, QH mentioned that Scots are closing the gap on Newington, so if Waves are playing Scots that should be quality match also.

Scots did close the gap, but it was a big gap to start with and it's still fairly sizable.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
One thing which I did notice about Scots was that each age group has a coaching co-ordinator whose role seems to be to coach the coaches and also to coach the boys in the core skills of the game.

As an age group, I thought that Scots 14s were very good in the core skills of the game. (noting that they won B, C & D games comfortably) Well done to those involved in upskilling the boys.

SteveMerrick

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can someone advise who Riverview is playing this weekend?

Riverview taking 32 teams from 13F's to 1st XV to Orange and Bathurst for games vs. Kinross, Stannies and Scots Bathurst. only one team left behind to play in sydney. all 9 senior XV's will be playing in Orange

1st XV vs. Kinross and from what I can understand the 2nd XV has drawn the short straw to play Stannies 1st XV with 3rds playing Kinross 2nds and 4ths playing Stannies 2nds etc.

All age group A teams playing Stannies A's with B teams playing Kinross A's......

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
is this the benchmark 16a side?
This Newington team is a strong one and has beaten every the GPS side at least once, over the last three seasons since the 13s. Clearly, then Scots adds to the strength of this U/16A age group. Apart from Shore who appear, will be participating in this year's U/16A Competition from Joker's mention of Joeys scores. Any team on its day from the other five schools can beat its opponent. This is extremely healthy for GPS Rugby and I hope this balance can continue, in what I believe will be a hard fought U/16 A competition.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This Newington team is a strong one and has beaten every the GPS side at least once, over the last three seasons since the 13s. Clearly, then Scots adds to the strength of this U/16A age group. Apart from Shore who appear, will be participating in this year's U/16A Competition from Joker's mention of Joeys scores. Any team on its day from the other five schools can beat its opponent. This is extremely healthy for GPS Rugby and I hope this balance can continue, in what I believe will be a hard fought U/16 A competition.
It’s not a competition.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
It’s not a competition.[/ quote]
Officially, you are perfectly correct, but parents, coaches, players and schools whether they are GPS, CAS and ISA will treat it otherwise. One parent at a 16B match told me how at Shore v Kings match, the Kings Boys were crying after Shore kick a last minute field goal to win the GPS season under defeated. I am sure of plenty other examples, where coaches, players and parents have become highly strung or generally uptight.

On this site, who can forget the reaction of the 16A match between Newington and Joeys in 2016. The Mods had to intervene and call for cease fire regarding the reaction of supporters from both sides.

So yes no official competition, but by any standard the reactions would indicate otherwise. Such is the passion of GPS Rugby.

Ninjas

Frank Row (1)
Joeys 1st XV v Shore 1st XV. Why is Zack Carey not at 12. Crazy. Getting better every game and playing very well in 2nd's. He's always involved and is a try machine. Always dangerous with ball. Joeys 1st XV 12 didn't get one line break or tackle bust Will not win without a solid 12 I'm afraid. Come on Joeys !

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Mail is that Reimer is out of the Barker vs Shore clash, big loss for Barker although the Shore team have also been hit with some injuries.