• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
As we head into the season proper, it makes me think of which ground would be the best to play on. HH is probably the most intimidating but not aesthetically pleasing (the sheds could probably do with an upgrade as well). Shore and Kings are picturesque but still cricket fields. Scots looks like a poor man's (metaphorically speaking of course) Knox 1.(I can hear you typing Rob)
So I reckon it must be out of Riverview and the Johnson at Newington. New would probably get the nod with the steeper closer bank giving a better view for the fans.
Neither View nor New’s grounds are flat, would discount them from ‘best ground status’ in my book.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
So I reckon it must be out of Riverview and the Johnson at Newington. New would probably get the nod with the steeper closer bank giving a better view for the fans.

Do any of these have a licensed bar?
Free hot food to after game punters?
Large fires, cold beer and rum drinks to warm you post game?

Nope

Joeys wins.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Neither View nor New’s grounds are flat, would discount them from ‘best ground status’ in my book.

Please, who does have the best rounds, for me its battle between New, View and Kings. Joeys have magnificent cared for grounds, but for my
preferences they lack the wide open spaces. The Brother Henry Stand is also excellent for wet weather, if your a Joeys Boy. Shore and the Hawker Stand also offers excellent wet weather venue, but its bit cramped and I care to the open spaces of View, Kings and New. Scots, regrettably is something more like the Black Hole of Calcutta.

I hope Joker and Quick Hands can do some picture stories of these School venues. If they can, I look forward to their dicpictions.

Tap n Go

Allen Oxlade (6)
Lets not get to precious, they are all fantastic grounds in there own right.

Much better than some of the public fields I have played on.

Move on to the footy!

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
my vote is Joeys ... although if they just ploughed some $ into a bit more seating, that would be epic

the playing surface is 2nd to none ...

following that my picks would be Cranbrook's Hordern, and closely followed by Riverview

so best schoolboy grounds

1. Joeys HH1 ...hard to fault unless you are a bit precious
2. Hordern Oval ... points deduction for need for more seating (probably to be resolved with the new build)... and there should be somewhere that the "yummie mummies" could be admired
2. Riverview 1 ... points deduction for goal posts that don't stay upright

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Best playing surface - Joeys
Most picturesque - Kings
Best rectangular ground - Newington
Best scoreboard - Scots
Best parking - Riverview
Best pies - Shore

I would agree, mind you Joeys do have a pretty good board which is underutilized.
Was very happy to see Scots name the board after Graeme Dedrick. Faithful servant to Schoolboy rugby

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Best playing surface - Joeys
Most picturesque - Kings
Best rectangular ground - Newington
Best scoreboard - Scots
Best parking - Riverview
Best pies - Shore
Joeys is a better rectangular ground than Newington. When a legitimate tactic at New is to ‘kick it down the hill’ it’s not the best ground...

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Worst parking: weiggal / syd grammar
Most likely to have an old boy streaker: Riverview
Furthest from action: Northbridge/shore
Most likely to have ur telephoto camera confiscated by security: HH/ joeys
Most likely to have a player run into a ditch: newington (southern corner)
Worst public amenities: Death Valley/ Waverley
Most likely to have ur car keyed: Trinity
Most likely to cop a ball in the head, or a canapé from the balcony: $cots
Most likely to see European SUVs illegally blocking ambulance entry: hordern/ cranbrook
Most likely to see the ball lost onto train tracks: Knox

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Do any of these have a licensed bar?
Free hot food to after game punters?
Large fires, cold beer and rum drinks to warm you post game?

Nope

Joeys wins.

The consumption of alcohol is not in line with the GPS Code of Practice, and just don't think it is appropriate at a schoolboy sporting event, particularly given the temptation to young old boys. Surely schoolboy rugby is good enough to enjoy on its own without alcohol.

Oceans

Bob McCowan (2)
If anyone has programs for team lists today please post.

Big day of Rugby!

Joeys by 5
View by 15
Scots by 27
It’s game day people. Everything ratchets up 4 notches. No more niceties and worrying about fixtures for next year with opposing convenors juggling lopsided contests. No more kicking early in phase play. No more masking positions or attacking shapes.
Kings by 15+ : and would have been 12 more had Penisini not be ruled out his week (and potentially for the season). Horrible for the kid and changes everything for GPS selectors too.
Joeys by 20+ : Newington simply won’t last the full game with the Joeys forward pack. So fit. Mobile, and totally fearless.
Scots by 35+ : far too big, strong, fast and strategically incapable of holding back when the have their foot on the throat of the under gunned Shore team. Expect ugliness everywhere at Northbridge.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Expect ugliness everywhere at Northbridge.

You're kidding me ....have you seen those Scots mothers???
Here is Sarah Murdoch...a Scots mum

sara_ohare-3.jpg

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Some early results from Joeys

Joeys 9th 71 Shore 8th 0

Joeys 16D 45 St Pat's 16B 7
Joeys 16G 31 St Pat's 16C 20

Joeys 15B 0 St Pat's 15A 0 (yes a scoreless draw)
Joeys 15E 5 Newington 15C 26

Joeys 13F 65 Newington 13E 0 (Headmasters team)
Joeys 13G 29 Newington 13F 22

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joeys 3rd 26 Shore 10

Joeys 10th 22 St Pat's 4th 7
Joeys 16E 53 Reddam House 22

Joeys 15C 19 Newington 15B 24

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
For Black and White
Good old fashioned rules, proper rucking, no messing about scrums and lots of kicking.
And yes, some cheering from both schools.
I played on this oval as well.It was deadly late in the day running into the sun

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
More results

Joeys 14E 36 St Pat's 14C 19
Joeys 14G 38 Newington 14E 27
Joeys 13E 0 Newington 13D 12

Status
Not open for further replies.