• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
It’s not surprising given how that age group team was built in U13’s. A lot of talented players in that mix.
Hello Older Slower and Props are Slower

If my memory serves me correctly, both Newington and Scots had excellent U13s, back them. Because of events, I lost contact with this age group. Did Newington maintain its excellence. I also believe Joeys were struggling in this age group. Any up dates would be most appreciated.
Kind regards
B&W

propsarespeedy

Ted Thorn (20)
Hello Older Slower and Props are Slower

If my memory serves me correctly, both Newington and Scots had excellent U13s, back them. Because of events, I lost contact with this age group. Did Newington maintain its excellence. I also believe Joeys were struggling in this age group. Any up dates would be most appreciated.
Kind regards
B&W
When this years Scots year 10 were in year 7, they versed Joeys in Game 1 which was expected to be the matchup of the year, that game ended scots 79 - Joeys 0. My understanding is that they didn't lose a game in the a's until they went away to glengarry meaning that only half the year was playing at once. I've heard now that Joeys have improved a lot since then and I know that this years GPS u16's is in general very talented. Should make up for some really exciting footy.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
When this years Scots year 10 were in year 7, they versed Joeys in Game 1 which was expected to be the matchup of the year, that game ended scots 79 - Joeys 0. My understanding is that they didn't lose a game in the a's until they went away to glengarry meaning that only half the year was playing at once. I've heard now that Joeys have improved a lot since then and I know that this years GPS u16's is in general very talented. Should make up for some really exciting footy.
hello,Props are speedy

Yes, I got the impression that Joeys have improved, since the 13s. Newington actually did beat them 42-0 in the 13s, 26-7 in the 14s and about 14-10 in the 15s. Newington did mange a close 19-15 win over this very strong Scots side in the preseason, but were beaten 10-5 in the GPS round. of the 13s. After that I loss contact on the other GPS teams and how they went. But its good to see that players are making their way into the Scots Open division.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
hello,Props are speedy

Yes, I got the impression that Joeys have improved, since the 13s. Newington actually did beat them 42-0 in the 13s, 26-7 in the 14s and about 14-10 in the 15s. Newington did mange a close 19-15 win over this very strong Scots side in the preseason, but were beaten 10-5 in the GPS round. of the 13s. After that I loss contact on the other GPS teams and how they went. But its good to see that players are making their way into the Scots Open division.
The Joeys group smashed Scots in the trial last year, I have watched the match each year since the 13's, I don't think Scots were missing many players although they did lose a few to the older age group the year before, not nearly enough to explain the turn around from 70 odd points in the 13's trial though. To be entirely fair, the Joeys 13's had a few issues to deal with in that trial and by the time of the comp game vs Scots in the last round they had narrowed the gap a lot (still were well beaten but it wasn't quite so bad).

propsarespeedy

Ted Thorn (20)
The Joeys group smashed Scots in the trial last year, I have watched the match each year since the 13's, I don't think Scots were missing many players although they did lose a few to the older age group the year before, not nearly enough to explain the turn around from 70 odd points in the 13's trial though. To be entirely fair, the Joeys 13's had a few issues to deal with in that trial and by the time of the comp game vs Scots in the last round they had narrowed the gap a lot (still were well beaten but it wasn't quite so bad).
Hi Olderslower, were you talking about 15's? If so, they were missing half the year because of Glengarry (a term 2 camp that every year 9 goes on 1 half at a time) which means the a's basically becomes some A's Some B's and Some C's. Also having a lot of missing players probably affects chemistry and cohesiveness a bit, so yes the turn around from 13's to 15's can be explained by mainly glengarry. I think the best way to judge these age groups will be 23/24 first xv because that will be the full match up of the 2 teams.

Last edited:

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Hi Olderslower, were you talking about 15's? If so, they were missing half the year because of Glengarry (a term 2 camp that every year 9 goes on 1 half at a time) which means the a's basically becomes some A's Some B's and Some C's. Also having a lot of missing players probably affects chemistry and cohesiveness a bit, so yes the turn around from 13's to 15's can be explained by mainly glengarry. I think the best way to judge these age groups will be 23/24 first xv because that will be the full match up of the 2 teams.
yes, I am talking about that team, they were probably missing a few but not many. 2 Superstars from the 13's had already moved up an age group the prior year (obviously a difference) and a handful of the very big angry forwards from the 13's year just looked extremely unfit, unable to match it with keener rivals. I agree, the opens age group in 23/24 will be the real test.

propsarespeedy

Ted Thorn (20)
yes, I am talking about that team, they were probably missing a few but not many. 2 Superstars from the 13's had already moved up an age group the prior year (obviously a difference) and a handful of the very big angry forwards from the 13's year just looked extremely unfit, unable to match it with keener rivals. I agree, the opens age group in 23/24 will be the real test.
Can't wait for the firsts games, gonna be that good.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Newington 1st XV will be predominantly made up of Year 12’s with a few promising Year 11’s competing for selection in the team.
Hello love to scrum
Yes, with the majority having between them, two seasons of having played 1st XV GPS Rugby. They also have a record of dominating tis age group. Hopefuly, this Newington age group will reproduce their skills, strength and speed previously displayed. But as shown in the past injuries, lost of forum and bad luck can all have an impact.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I have just received an email from Newington, about the Project concerning Newington"s future, as a school. Nothing has been decided. But Ideas are under consideration,
In this regard the School Council is leading the charge, Not the Headmaster,He may be tasked to visit a number of schools that are both single sex and co-educational area.

1/The email makes it very clear, that Newington's sporting commitments to the GPS will not be affected.
2/Multiple campuses are under consideration.Eg AYr 9-10.
3,The council is searching to determine what will best size for Newington.This might include Girls.
4/The entry of Girls will not be done at the expense of boys it was advised, If it does occur.
5/The difficult of coeducation was noted ,as boys and girls learn differently from each other.
6/That no decision has been made. When it is made, the decision will be made by the school council, not the Headmaster.

The school seeks to reach out to Inner west community and be inclusive, with the offering of 100 scholarships

My initial thought:s- a much bigger Newington
with More sports teams
A greater Multi-cultural Population, particularly I suspect, around Pacific Islanders,
Greater links with Inner West sports clubs to be inclusive.Which means boys whose initial sporting Background will be Rugby League.Expect, Newington as part of its inclusion, to be drawing boys from South Sydney Leagues, Canterbury Leagues Parramatta Leagues and even Wests Tigers. From a Rugby Point of view we could expect some real talent entering the school.One would hope Rugby Australia NSW Rugby are there to support Newington in keeping these boys in the game.
Not So gloomy, but its still early da .

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
I have just received an email from Newington, about the Project concerning Newington"s future, as a school. Nothing has been decided. But Ideas are under consideration,
In this regard the School Council is leading the charge, Not the Headmaster,He may be tasked to visit a number of schools that are both single sex and co-educational area.

1/The email makes it very clear, that Newington's sporting commitments to the GPS will not be affected.
2/Multiple campuses are under consideration.Eg AYr 9-10.
3,The council is searching to determine what will best size for Newington.This might include Girls.
4/The entry of Girls will not be done at the expense of boys it was advised, If it does occur.
5/The difficult of coeducation was noted ,as boys and girls learn differently from each other.
6/That no decision has been made. When it is made, the decision will be made by the school council, not the Headmaster.

The school seeks to reach out to Inner west community and be inclusive, with the offering of 100 scholarships

My initial thought:s- a much bigger Newington
with More sports teams
A greater Multi-cultural Population, particularly I suspect, around Pacific Islanders,
Greater links with Inner West sports clubs to be inclusive.Which means boys whose initial sporting Background will be Rugby League.Expect, Newington as part of its inclusion, to be drawing boys from South Sydney Leagues, Canterbury Leagues Parramatta Leagues and even Wests Tigers. From a Rugby Point of view we could expect some real talent entering the school.One would hope Rugby Australia NSW Rugby are there to support Newington in keeping these boys in the game.
Not So gloomy, but its still early da .
I'm not sure how the co-ed narrative boosts the league playing and Pacific Islander cohort at the school, well at least not with out substantial further investment in the unmentionable thing. Rugby Australia already gets a massive but unacknowledged development subsidy from the private schools, do they give anything much back?

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm not sure how the co-ed narrative boosts the league playing and Pacific Islander cohort at the school, well at least not with out substantial further investment in the unmentionable thing. Rugby Australia already gets a massive but unacknowledged development subsidy from the private schools, do they give anything much back?
Hello Older Slower, Sorry , I Might have not explained myself with clarity.I do not see co-ed in anyway boosting league at Newington. The school will remain a union school. As we demand boys entering the college that School Rugby will be their first Priority. Although I am sure we are happy to have League players, playing Union at least during their school days. After that its up Rugby Australia to provide a career Path for them, once they leave.

But having boys with Rugby League Backgrounds, is a fact, that Newington must deal with, due to the school's Location in the Inner west. Ipswich Grammar School I believe has a similar problem. I trust I might have explained myself, if not I will try and explain myself again.
Best Regards
B&W

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Exclusive Newington Girls 1st XV in action against Cranbrook

B42I9848.jpg

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Although I am sure we are happy to have League players, playing Union at least during their school days.

Thats right. I recall 2013 Newington had Tepai Moeroa, Taane Milne and Joey Lussick who all were on league club "retainers".

I might end this conversation here. It is straying into a word that "shall not be mentioned."

Back to the rugby

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Thats right. I recall 2013 Newington had Tepai Moeroa, Taane Milne and Joey Lussick who all were on league club "retainers".

I might end this conversation here. It is straying into a word that "shall not be mentioned."

Back to the rugby
+ Kaeo Weekes and Tolu Koula; signed by Manly at 14 and lived nowhere near the inner west. Both of whom missed a GPS game to play junior NRL origin with Sua'ali'i in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.