• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
To say that's he's not a good player and not back it up with anything at all is crazy if you watch the Scots, Gen blue and roosters games from the past couple years you'll know he's definitely a gun player. I haven't been able to seen all the scot's games this year but from what I have watched he's been very impactful in my opinion. I think Scot's can use him/their whole backline in a different way as it's a top tier back line which hasn't performed as well as it could this season. I'm keen to see how they go in the last 4 games.
It's crazy to think that their still missing 2 Roosters/Waratah players- Blake Steep and Grayson Reimer.

Also crazy to think that their whole backline apart from No. 10 (Henry James) and No. 9 (Hunter Ryan) is in year 11.

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
Reminder....
Please support players and never criticize.
Or....

Cyclopath 1.gif

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
These days it is all too complicated with Gen this and that with Under 18 this with NSW Schools and Presidents.

I still have no idea which is the best level. Is it Gen Blue, NSW 1 or NSW Under 18 or Aus Schoolboys?

Will someone ever do a flow chart starting with school at the top and then work downwards.
To my old and failing eyes it seems that the best team a schoolboy can make is no longer Aus Schools.

ln the old days it was simple.

School----->AAGPS (1, 2 or 3) ----> NSW (1 or 2)-----> Australian Schoolboys

Example. David Azar in 1995

View attachment 16711View attachment 16712View attachment 16713View attachment 16710
Thiap
Should be a simple two-route pathway for schools and/or U18. Having a combined GenBlue U18 squad has taken any prestige out of the NSW and Aust schools pathway. They are only U18 and can still have both opportunities with a simple tweak:

1. Schools - via NSW I/II to Aust Schools Championships with the best schoolboys at the tournament and trying to get selected in the Australian Schoolboys team.
2. U18 XV's - a NSW U18 XV made up of all the boys either not at school, or at a school with no pathway, or finished school last year but only U17 (i.e. picked after City vs Country).

This would provide 60 boys for the Waratahs to call 'GenBlue' and have a look at anyway in the off season for the following years U19 Championships teams (37 from NSW Schools I & 2, and 23 from the NSW U18 XV). More than enough without all the disruption of the current system.

They can even play 'Australian Schoolboys' vs 'Australian U18 XV' match annually if they need to select a combined schools and U18 side (which seems the trend).
still not sharp enough. Compare our pathways to what is on offer in France and the UK etc. It is little wonder that Aust and NZ U20’s were thumped on Thursday night by France and Ireland. We are falling behind very quickly. A proper U20’s Super comp needs to happen quickly. Otherwise in 20 years we will look back with regret.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Nah I don’t. Could go through the Colts/Grade team sheets and try figure it out but I reckon it’s a lot less than what you’d want.
You’d be surprised. At U18 Gen Blue are getting better at not picking players that are already either confirmed NRL recruits or biased towards it. That doesn’t mean a few won’t get through but retention is a focus.

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
100%. Let all the best schoolboys play in the Aust Schools championships. It still goes ahead these days anyway but has been massively devalued.
The U18 two pathways ('schools' vs 'U18 the rest') can come together at the end of the year, rather than in the middle of the year, and form the wider squad the the U19's next year.
This makes sense.

The Aus Schoolboys was once seen as the cream of the schoolboy crop. It was a sense of pride if your school produced 1 or 103 (as in Joeys case). Such a shame.

Here is the best Aussie Schools team of all time. Recognize any famous faces? Can you pick the year? Was this Australia’s greatest rugby team? You can very easily argue that it is- not just because of their exceptional record, but more importantly that how they performed had such a major impact on the local game.

1977-78-1536x867.jpg

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
You’d be surprised. At U18 Gen Blue are getting better at not picking players that are already either confirmed NRL recruits or biased towards it. That doesn’t mean a few won’t get through but retention is a focus.
Absolutely. I was on the thinking path that there are a number of boys that just stop playing all together by the time there 20/21 which is a shame.

I think the selections are pretty Rugby focused which is what it should be tbh. Never blame a kid for signing a deal anywhere but Rugby also has to look out for Rugby.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
This makes sense.

The Aus Schoolboys was once seen as the cream of the schoolboy crop. It was a sense of pride if your school produced 1 or 103 (as in Joeys case). Such a shame.

Here is the best Aussie Schools team of all time. Recognize any famous faces? Can you pick the year? Was this Australia’s greatest rugby team? You can very easily argue that it is- not just because of their exceptional record, but more importantly that how they performed had such a major impact on the local game.

View attachment 16716
I agree Aus Schools holds a special place in Rugby but I fully support the move to Aus U18s.

It allows a number of players who aren’t at school but we’re young for their year to stay in the same system. There is a goal to have U16 - U18 - U20 all pulling in the same direction like what you see in the Northern Hemisphere. Correct me if I’m wrong but a lot of QLD kids finish school younger than NSW as well so we miss a lot of those guys.

I know there are other factors between RA and the ASRU that they don’t always play nice together (Rugby in this Country, who would have though) but it’s for the development of Rugby as a whole.

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
A small request.

If anyone is watching the schools/Gen/Under 18 (whatever it is) today, could you please kindly update those who do not have access with scores.

As someone who sat for four games at Knox, posting updates, a little love this way would be appreciated.

Anybody?

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
A small request.

If anyone is watching the schools/Gen/Under 18 (whatever it is) today, could you please kindly update those who do not have access with scores.

As someone who sat for four games at Knox, posting updates, a little love this way would be appreciated.

Anybody?
Will do my best but sometimes ( especially today) I get a little caught up in the game

Rudderless

Cyril Towers (30)
A small request.

Anybody?
Joker

Its a free feed for the U18 Academy teams Reds v Waratahs.

moa999

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Tahs White first try with Watts in corner.
Missed conversion
5-0 at 5min

Ashdown with pushover.
Another miss.
10-0 at 9min
I've got audio but almost no video

Campbell hits back for Reds Grey in the corner. Converted.
10-7 at 12min

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.