• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

footyfooty footy footy

Herbert Moran (7)
triangle XXXXXX, protein enhanced chicken, "special" milkshakes, jumpers on the altar, the "sledge" of 1992 which saw a win on the bell to Joeys and my favourite, the alleged Joeys mole embedded at Scots. Did you ever wonder why Scots didn't beat Joeys for so many years?.....mmmmmm
What’s this?? How have I never heard of it? What’s the story?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
The 1992 sledge and the mole at Scots?

If you have time to tell the story, I'm very interested I've heard people mention it but somehow don't know it.
Joeys v Scots at the Death Star with yours truly present and witness to the events

This is from the College record. My comments are in bold)

A large crowd, estimated between 8,000 and 10,000 assembled at Bellevue Hill to witness what was to be a memorable match. The Scots team easily out-weighed the small St Joseph's pack and their distinct height advantage ensured plenty of possession for Scots from line outs. (keep this in mind)

Scots led 3-0 at half time with the Joeys boys tackling themselves silly. Scots had five brand new "musical scholars" players in the team in preparation for the following year. Even though they were young they were enormous. Back to the game

As the match continued both sides realised that the final score would depend on what happened in the last 10 minutes of the game. From a lineout on the halfway line Gavagna tapped the ball back to O'Brien who made a strong run into the Scots half (Scots had been camped in the Joeys half all game). Hannon set play up in the midfield from which the attack was switched through Prior, who with Highfield took play to within 5 metres of the Scots line. The line-out which followed was the chance St Joseph's had been waiting for. Attacking field position had been gained, possession was vital.

(As the line-out formed 5m from the Scots line, Joeys Old boy and father of the blue wiggle called out, "Hey Scots boys, hope you can grab a ball as well as you grab a sch..........(word that shall not be used). The crowd had quietened at that very moment and you could see that the Scots players had heard him. They were distracted. This is what happened next)

The Scots hooker threw into the line-out and Kennedy jumping high won a rare ball for St Joseph's (over the very tall Tom Bowman). Isaac threw a wide pass to Hannon who made good ground, beating two Scots defenders and finally being tackled just under the posts. Crick picked up and drove just short of the line where Isaac picked up and scored the match winning try.

1687928079177.png

The St Joseph's supporters were delighted. Clarke converted to give St Joseph's the lead 7-3.

The pressure continued. The atmosphere was exciting as both schools cheered on their team and the players from both sides continued to give their very best right up till the final whistle. St Joseph's in winning the match 7-3 ensured the GPS Premiership for the 46th time.

To celebrate the win both Anthony Field and his father marched up and down the eastern touchline playing their Irish bagpipes to the delight of the Joeys crowd.

12919728_765775426892757_8012689710711865419_n.jpg

footyfooty footy footy

Herbert Moran (7)
Ohhh that's what that was. I played in the 1993 team but couldn't make this game as I had surgery on this day sadly. Only heard about this as no one told me the real story, thank you very much. What's this about a mole in Scots though?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
What's this about a mole in Scots though?
There was a rumour that one of the maintenance crew who the school employed and was a Joeys Old Boy. He was known for wearing other school socks like me to stir up the kids. The work shop you may not have known was under the centenary music center. He was known to always be working on some aspect of the College when the 1st XV team trained on the main. Leading up to the 2001 game Scots had a very good line-out move that had reaped rewards most of the season. This was allegedly passed along to the Joeys staff on what to look for. I quote the match record

Scots looked dangerous when from a line-out just inside the St Joseph's half they cleverly switched play where their fullback made excellent ground only to the bundled into touch by the Joey's cover.

Those at the game said Joeys seemed to know what was coming and had defence ready.

Anyway this staff member left in 2009 and it was 2010 when Scots 1st XV finally beat Joeys. Coincidence?

For the record I was employed at the College at that time but located at Mansion Road. The 1st XV coach did not like me and once told me to remove my Joeys socks when I was training soccer kids on Kirkland one afternoon. I never went back.

footyfooty footy footy

Herbert Moran (7)
Ha ha, I'm a proud Scots boy but that's pretty funny and a good play from Joeys' even though it's very sneaky and cheap.

Last question if you want to answer, what's this about someone jumping on an altar? If you can't be bothered answering you could show me where I could find the story.

I truly should be charging you for all you've done, thank you, I appreciate it a lot.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Jumpers on the altar....

This is reference to the old myth that because Joeys is a Roman Catholic School and we take our faith seriously.

Back in the 1940's there was a tradition that the 1st XV jumpers (jerseys) would be stored in the College Chaplains office as no one would steal them. This though turned into the story that the rugby jumpers (jerseys) would be placed on the College Chapel altar the night before. This was in the hope that Our Lord would imbue the wearers of the jumpers protection against harm. This story still gets passed around today.

Fugen-StJoseph-Chapel-Hunt-Hl-005.jpg

Last edited:

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Ha ha, I'm a proud Scots boy but that's pretty funny and a good play from Joeys' even though it's very sneaky and cheap.

Last question if you want to answer, what's this about someone jumping on an altar? If you can't be bothered answering you could show me where I could find the story.

I truly should be charging you for all you've done, thank you, I appreciate it a lot.
No worries. Happy to help Scots storm troopers....I mean boys.
Keeps my old brain ticking over.

Meanwhile in the Scots College chapel

1687944602469.png

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
Joeys v Scots at the Death Star with yours truly present and witness to the events

This is from the College record. My comments are in bold)

A large crowd, estimated between 8,000 and 10,000 assembled at Bellevue Hill to witness what was to be a memorable match. The Scots team easily out-weighed the small St Joseph's pack and their distinct height advantage ensured plenty of possession for Scots from line outs. (keep this in mind)

Scots led 3-0 at half time with the Joeys boys tackling themselves silly. Scots had five brand new "musical scholars" players in the team in preparation for the following year. Even though they were young they were enormous. Back to the game

As the match continued both sides realised that the final score would depend on what happened in the last 10 minutes of the game. From a lineout on the halfway line Gavagna tapped the ball back to O'Brien who made a strong run into the Scots half (Scots had been camped in the Joeys half all game). Hannon set play up in the midfield from which the attack was switched through Prior, who with Highfield took play to within 5 metres of the Scots line. The line-out which followed was the chance St Joseph's had been waiting for. Attacking field position had been gained, possession was vital.

(As the line-out formed 5m from the Scots line, Joeys Old boy and father of the blue wiggle called out, "Hey Scots boys, hope you can grab a ball as well as you grab a sch..........(word that shall not be used). The crowd had quietened at that very moment and you could see that the Scots players had heard him. They were distracted. This is what happened next)

The Scots hooker threw into the line-out and Kennedy jumping high won a rare ball for St Joseph's (over the very tall Tom Bowman). Isaac threw a wide pass to Hannon who made good ground, beating two Scots defenders and finally being tackled just under the posts. Crick picked up and drove just short of the line where Isaac picked up and scored the match winning try.

View attachment 16656

The St Joseph's supporters were delighted. Clarke converted to give St Joseph's the lead 7-3.

The pressure continued. The atmosphere was exciting as both schools cheered on their team and the players from both sides continued to give their very best right up till the final whistle. St Joseph's in winning the match 7-3 ensured the GPS Premiership for the 46th time.

To celebrate the win both Anthony Field and his father marched up and down the eastern touchline playing their Irish bagpipes to the delight of the Joeys crowd.

View attachment 16657
Now that’s a comprehensive response Joker.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Tiitii 1, Ata2, Goddard 3, syd junior second rowers, Ryan 6, Durbidge 7, brial 8, sharples 9 Walsh 10, Boston and Enasio in the centres, nsw country winger, Grover wing, Klem FB

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
NSW u18 teams have been announced but so far they are only behind the Rugbynews paywall.
Waratah Academy team

1 Nathaniel Tiitii
2 Lipina Ata
3 William Goddard
4 Aden Ekanayake
5 Lachlan Doheny
6 Jonathan Ryan
7 Austin Durbidge
8 Toby Brial
9 Hwi Sharples
10 Joe Walsh
11 Brendan Palmer