• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
As a Scots OB and parent, if we don't win the premiership next year something is seriously wrong with the rugby program. I don't know much about other school's other year groups but Kings and View (best 2 this year) seem very Year 12 heavy. With 3 u16s Australian Schoolboys last year (Fittler, Jaques and Brial) coming up with the likes of Onitoni Large and possibly his brother. AND Aidan Gow. Very talented backline with Brial, Ulcoq and Guerin all being representatives coming up in the forwards we surely need to win.

And yes I know, can't just be a team of superstars. But the backline of Soepono, Jaques, Fittler and McKenzie have been playing together since year 8 and apart from Fittler since prep school.

I need some outside thoughts on this to bump me back down to earth.
Also a talented 16s age group coming into opens I believe they've won everything except agaisnt view and are missing 3 players to opens duties. Keen to see how those boys go.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
backline will be very good... tight 5 looks not as stong
I mean its not that weak, you'll have tom duddy, Harry Harrington and Joel Jacobs in year 12 looking to play firsts front row and a large amount of high quality year 11 front row talent such as Cooper Guerin, James Randall, Peter "greek freak" Sklavos, Nate browning and Lachie hindmarsh.

In terms of second row, Toby Brial, Finnlay Bartlett are the year 12s I know of who will probably play firsts second row and the year 11's in high opens will most likely be Angus Mckenzie, Oscar Clifton, Charlie Bourke and Hamilton Dairby cairns. Young second row Hamish Bull (Gen blue u14 2022 and son of Scots OB Tom Bull 1993) who stands out an ongodly 6'7 may also have a chance to play some opens footy. Hamish made his 16a's debut on the weekend and from reports played quite well.

Last edited:
I mean its not that weak, you'll have tom duddy, Harry Harrington and Joel Jacobs in year 12 looking to play firsts front row and a large amount of high quality year 11 front row talent such as Cooper Guerin, James Randall, Peter "greek freak" Sklavos, Nate browning and Lachie hindmarsh.

In terms of second row, Toby Brial, Finnlay Bartlett are the year 12s I know of who will probably play firsts second row and the year 11's in high opens will most likely be Angus Mckenzie, Oscar Clifton, Charlie Bourke and Hamilton Dairby cairns. Young second row Hamish Bull (Gen blue u14 2022 and son of Scots OB Tom Bull 1993) who stands out an ongodly 6'7 may also have a chance to play some opens footy. Hamish made his 16a's debut on the weekend and from reports played quite well.
brial will play 8. lets be honest... tom duddy isnt good mate... whos harry harrington?

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Not for opposing fans on a sunny winters day the far side of the pitch.
Joeys faithful on comfortable seating in a tiered stand, toilets to hand, with the sun at their back - on one side.
Opposing fans on hard bench seating with limited elevation staring into the setting sun on the visitors side.
As a gesture of goodwill maybe Joeys should switch things around to accommodate their guests in greater comfort........worth raising at the next committee meeting Joker???:oops:
At Joeys, I often sit at the Southern (non scoreboard end) of the grandstand on the 22 line. That stand is normally full of visiting parents and visiting supporters (as it should be). They have a good view close to the canteen and only a downside if it rains. It's only the visiting boys and reunions that sit or stand on the far side (as it should be).

Just like at Scots. And Kings. And Shore...

INP

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Wednesday Tipping!

View v Kings have been splitting the tipsters. Will the Parramattta Cows be able to run as freely as they are used to on the swamp lands of the wolves lair? Some are tipping the wild ones will be victorious and spoil the perfect record. No team has done 10 from 10 in the competition. Others though are pointing to the star studded bovine who have the ability to turn the game (and its herd) on its hoof.

What's your tip?

Others seem to have Joeys favorites as the full compliment of cattle dogs are back on deck with the heavy artillery now in place. Scots still has friends but Shore has it fans who sense the Death Star is crumbling and they are ripe for the picking after the thermal exhaust port was discovered. Battle at Stirling bridge will be entertaining.

1690317766963.png

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Joeys is clearly the best oval .. from the playing pitch, closeness to the field for viewing and most importantly atmosphere.. 99% of games at joeys have a large crowd because … you guested it .. you’re playing Joeys … so other schools make an effort to show up ..

not knocking kings at all , I always enjoyed playing there, I like the stands and layout .. good hospitality the field is nice (except for the cricket pitch sometime ) .. but.. if it isn’t a full crowd it can feel a little empty..
Joeys is the only GPS ground without a cricket pitch somewhere on the field. End of argument.

BTW, do any CAS/ISA schools, other than Knox, have a pitchless rugby field?

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Knox is purpose built for rugby, they’ve just spent a bucket load re-turfing it with drainage etc as joeys did many moons ago.

As for ISA, Oakhill doesn’t (or at least didn’t) have a cricket pitch on it… St Augustine’s could make the same claim but that’s Rat Park so not their own camp ground

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
So unlucky for Max Laverty, really has put everything into his footy and to be injured not only before his Gen Blue selection but on his seconds debut.
Yes, there are a lot of U16 boys unlucky to have had their seasons wrecked by injury. It's the age they are at I think. I can think of half a dozen names that could have been contenders for this list but have barely made it onto the paddock this season.

ruckandcoke123

Stan Wickham (3)

In terms of second row, Toby Brial, Finnlay Bartlett are the year 12s I know of who will probably play firsts second row and the year 11's in high opens will most likely be Angus Mckenzie, Oscar Clifton, Charlie Bourke and Hamilton Dairby cairns. Young second row Hamish Bull (Gen blue u14 2022 and son of Scots OB Tom Bull 2018) who stands out an ongodly 6'12 may also have a chance to play some opens footy. Hamish made his 16a's debut on the weekend and from reports played quite well.
Totally agree props,
I do agree that the backline (especially the centres) will be filled with talent and am excited to see how far they can go next year. I Have also seen Hamish play recently and as an OB myself having played with tom bull I have to say if hes anything like his father then the forwards are definitely not lacking but not sure that he will play opens as he is a bit to underdeveloped (doesnt have his dads muscles). If he puts a bit more muscle on im sure this is a possibility.
ruck+coke

Aagpsglory

Allen Oxlade (6)
My pick is kings to beat them comfortably and bring home the AAGPS title for a 3rd time in last 5 seasons
I definitely don't see Kings winning comfortably. View will play their hearts out for their last chance for the premiership and it will be a game within 10 points no doubt in my mind.

Good luck to both sides, I hope this is a game that is close, brings amazing intensity out of the teams and has a great crowd atmosphere from both schools.

How good is footy!

AG

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
Knox is purpose built for rugby, they’ve just spent a bucket load re-turfing it with drainage etc as joeys did many moons ago.

As for ISA, Oakhill doesn’t (or at least didn’t) have a cricket pitch on it… St Augustine’s could make the same claim but that’s Rat Park so not their own camp ground
Oakhill definitely has a cricket pitch in the middle

footyfooty footy footy

Herbert Moran (7)
Not in the tipping comp but would tip as follows
View +3, couldn't decide on whether this would be a draw or not.
Joeys +10, reckon a high-scoring game.
Scots +10, either really tight or blow out from either team here I think. Could go anyway, its up to the players.

Ballscollector

Allen Oxlade (6)
top 10 players in the GPS going into next season. Players to look out for etc
Going to be a bit biased as a Shore supporter but Le Maitre, Conick and James Warner have all been standouts for Shore. Matt Gough will return for Joeys alongside Justice T, View will have Gus Grover coming into the team, excited to see the returning Scots backline with Jacques leading the team, Ben Sawyer will most likely be playing 10 for Kings and looks to be very interesting, Newington I'm not too sure. But looks to be an exciting year ahead, but let Shore go 3-0 from the last 3 before we get to that.

ruckandcoke123

Stan Wickham (3)
brial will play 8. lets be honest... tom duddy isnt good mate... whos harry harrington?
Tom duddy has been held back by injury most of this season and harry harrington has also been injured. When duddy is healthy he is extremely influential in the scots forward pack. Harry harrington is a beast who may not be recognised for the magic he perfoms on the field and can see him playing in that firsts forward pack for scots next year.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
righto, champion... IMO Duddy's a solid player his scrummaging especially is very good and he's from what I've seen he's held that front-row spot well. Harrington is a year 11, who's last year represented and excelled for the Brumbies 16's. He's from around Wagga and started in lower teams but worked his way up to the firsts until he was injured late last term.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Totally agree props,
I do agree that the backline (especially the centres) will be filled with talent and am excited to see how far they can go next year. I Have also seen Hamish play recently and as an OB myself having played with tom bull I have to say if hes anything like his father then the forwards are definitely not lacking but not sure that he will play opens as he is a bit to underdeveloped (doesnt have his dads muscles). If he puts a bit more muscle on im sure this is a possibility.
ruck+coke
fair enough R and C, what year did you graduate mate?

Status
Not open for further replies.