• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aagpsglory

Allen Oxlade (6)
I personally would find that quite hard to believe. For what is shaping up as the so called "game of the year", I can't imagine Kings are willing to take that risk. If they are so concerned with his workload or fitness, win the game this weekend and then give him 2 weeks off is that's what he really needs. Kings certainly won't have everything their own way this weekend. It should be a tough contest.

TW
100% agree with you here, surely they are not resting one of their star players for probably the game of the season. Who told you about this putitthroughthehands? Not doubting you, just a little skeptical

AG

Vai a Riva

Stan Wickham (3)
Who would have thought that every school is going to be fielding a competitive side for 2024!
It seems to be the case most years. More often than not "prospective teams" don't come quite into fruition as expected. Newington a perfect example. Second to favourites in the majority of the pre-season predictions yet have so far failed to live up to the hype. If there is anything to take from this new 10 game format it's that nothing is set in stone until the season actually begins. Let's ride the rest of this season through and see who takes it.

TW

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
you can sit in the stands near the scoreboard

in the 48 years I have been visiting Kings the “stand” is the exclusive domain to 100 lucky Kings lads. Nothing like watching rugby at eye level 30m away from the sideline all the while with both teams coaches and reserves sitting in your eye line obscuring the view. Then there is this bloke in a cape…,

i will give you the tailgating though. Love the picnic baskets. Plus it is great to watch cricket.

Last edited:

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
It seems to be the case most years. More often than not "prospective teams" don't come quite into fruition as expected. Newington a perfect example. Second to favourites in the majority of the pre-season predictions yet have so far failed to live up to the hype. If there is anything to take from this new 10 game format it's that nothing is set in stone until the season actually begins. Let's ride the rest of this season through and see who takes it.

TW
Scots are probably a better example, Newington get praised in trial form every year and then drop off when the competition starts (exception in 2022), but yeah i understand your point.

BananaMan

Bob McCowan (2)
TriesAfterPies

As mentioned previously in my posts, Views coaches have held back a lot of the 16's players in order to form good combinations and confidance for next year. This year is a big, big bonus and the boys have played very well and with a huge chance to win a premiership. However, with a few yr11 open players returning and a solid base of 16's moving up, 2024 is looking really good. Hope the coaches a right in their thinking. IMO I think it's a good move. Not that you want to sacrifice a year ( and this year is by no means over ), but some schools ( you know the ones ) push imo too many 16's and even 15's into opens. I guess if your good enough why not but it does come at a sacrifice to combos etc. A 9/10 combo or a 12/13 is very important.
It doesn't make sense, why would schools be pushing 15 and 16 year olds into opens if there's a chance they'd have their confidence knocked out of them. Surely these kids get these opportunities on merit and schools have a duty of care as well. If a kid is good enough and the coaches think they're good enough then let them have a go. Think of the experience they'd be gaining for the following year. Moving from 16s to Opens is a huge jump, everyone knows that, the pace is faster, the hits are harder and if you have youngsters who have gone through this it can help those that haven't. Yes combinations are important, but you need a good spine, from the fullback all the way to the forwards. Just my 2 cents :)

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
It doesn't make sense, why would schools be pushing 15 and 16 year olds into opens if there's a chance they'd have their confidence knocked out of them. Surely these kids get these opportunities on merit and schools have a duty of care as well. If a kid is good enough and the coaches think they're good enough then let them have a go. Think of the experience they'd be gaining for the following year. Moving from 16s to Opens is a huge jump, everyone knows that, the pace is faster, the hits are harder and if you have youngsters who have gone through this it can help those that haven't. Yes combinations are important, but you need a good spine, from the fullback all the way to the forwards. Just my 2 cents :)
Most schools aren't just pushing 15 and 16 year old kids into opens if they didn't think they could handle it. Jorgensen, Sua'ali'i, Penisini all got pushed into opens in year 10 and handled it well. Having an extra years experience is pretty beneficial to any player.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
For this weekend, Newington have forfeited the 16Bs, 15Bs & 14Bs vs Joeys. The Newington 16Bs are playing the Joeys 16Es. Not a good sign for what GPS rugby may look like in a few years time.
Yes but your netball teams will trounce all comers if rumors are to be believed. Will coed end rugby at Newington?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Most schools aren't just pushing 15 and 16 year old kids into opens if they didn't think they could handle it. Jorgensen, Sua'ali'i, Penisini all got pushed into opens in year 10 and handled it well. Having an extra years experience is pretty beneficial to any player.
You forgot the most famous of all. K.Beale played in year -0. Joeys DONT push kids. If they are good enough they can play if they choose to. There are those rare ones who declined in the past. Joeys once had a boy play 4 years in the 1st XV BECAUSE he was good enough and he wanted to play.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
For this weekend, Newington have forfeited the 16Bs, 15Bs & 14Bs vs Joeys. The Newington 16Bs are playing the Joeys 16Es. Not a good sign for what GPS rugby may look like in a few years time.
Not according to Joeys Fixtures:

Joeys 16A v Newington 16A
Joeys 16B v TAS 16A
Joeys 16C v Newington 16B
Joeys 16D v Oakhill 16D
Joeys 16E v Newington 16C
Joeys 16F v Trinity 16C

Joeys 16C v Newington 16B is the first match on Johnson at 8:00AM.

INP

CasualObserver

Bob McCowan (2)
Not according to Joeys Fixtures:

Joeys 16A v Newington 16A
Joeys 16B v TAS 16A
Joeys 16C v Newington 16B
Joeys 16D v Oakhill 16D
Joeys 16E v Newington 16C
Joeys 16F v Trinity 16C

Joeys 16C v Newington 16B is the first match on Johnson at 8:00AM.

INP
That's great that the Joeys 16B's still have a game. The Joeys 14Bs and 15Bs are playing an internal amongst themselves on Coll A as NC have opted to not play them.

CasualObserver

Bob McCowan (2)
That's great that the Joeys 16B's still have a game. The Joeys 14Bs and 15Bs are playing an internal amongst themselves on Coll A as NC have opted to not play them.
It is the NC 15B's vs the Joeys E's

1690344373464.png

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Unless you are a Joey boy, viewing is terrible at Joeys. The temporary fencing, flat temporary seating and 'port a loo's' are so bad. It can also be a very cold windy place when from the south. Last week at Parramatta, we had parents tail gating with bbq's on the hill and the atmosphere was great. If you want to watch up close, you can sit in the stands near the scoreboard or you can even choose to sit in your car with the grandparents on the hill and still get a great view. The amphitheatre 360 degree viewing is incredible as is the surface. The best is out west.

Adding people and atmosphere to Jokers' picture below.

Also from experience, the King's turf is the nicest. Also is the only schoolboy ground (other than Barker which isn't remotely comparable) that has a proper 360 viewing. The hill is great to watch from too.

Personally I think the White Oval is the best schoolboy ground in NSW. Followed by Joeys. Also enjoyed Shore's grounds although atmosphere etc. isn't comparable (although Joker does highly recommend the pies).

letsruck

Allen Oxlade (6)
@Game_Day_Ritual your thoughts on the top 10 players in the GPS going into next season. Players to look out for etc
I think Justice from Joeys has had a really good season so far and he should only get better as he gets older and gets into year 11 and 12, same with Onitoni Large from Scots, he shows promising talent and I believe that the both of them could become some of the best in the GPS. Also Jaques, Brial and some other Scots boys are playing really well. Im not sure about the top 10 coming into next season but I do know that we'll see some really good talent next year.

putitthroughthehands

Herbert Moran (7)
Very annoying if you're a Joey's boy in those teams and unable to get a game this weekend - if that's what ends up happening. Seems Newington isn't quite comprehending the underlying purpose of the co-curricular program. It's an opportunity for the boys to be able to play sports in conjunction with their studies and schooling.

letsruck

Allen Oxlade (6)
Also from experience, the King's turf is the nicest. Also is the only schoolboy ground (other than Barker which isn't remotely comparable) that has a proper 360 viewing. The hill is great to watch from too.

Personally I think the White Oval is the best schoolboy ground in NSW. Followed by Joeys. Also enjoyed Shore's grounds although atmosphere etc. isn't comparable (although Joker does highly recommend the pies).
I find that although the Scots turf fluctuates at some times of the year its as good as any other pitch in the GPS and the atmosphere is really good with all the boys lined up in the stands on either sides of the pitch.

putitthroughthehands

Herbert Moran (7)

King's turf is nice and green however despite it being quite green it is relatively short and actually quite a hard surface, especially with it being sand. Also, the cricket pitch in the middle may look green, however, if you walk out into the middle it is very hard underfoot (would be a pain to be landing on). To view the game, especially with it being a proper 'oval' it is quite hard viewing, especially from the far side.

Joeys has the best by far in terms of playing surface. Comfy and lush as well as great draining. As said Joey's seating is only good if you are a Joey's boy. Seating and viewing aren't the best otherwise.

View's surface is really good after a holiday period (as there isn't any traffic on it). Driving past yesterday, it looked quite lush and soft compared to usual. The cricket pitch can be a pain though later in the season. The best viewing is at View as you are on the hill and everyone can see the game. Great for opposing teams visiting as they are gifted with a grandstand.

Newington's actual playing surface is quite 'muddy' in regards to not much grass growth (put that to not getting the afternoon sun). Terrible if you're a schoolboy having to sit on the hill.

SHORE's grandstand is top tier, allowing both schools to sit right next to each other (potential for progressive banter) however the playing surface is not something to be fond of. You can see the dust curling up on a dry day and hear the thumping of boots due to how hard the ground is.

IF I COULD:
The best ground would be the SHORE grandstand (if placed closer to the ground) otherwise take Br Henry's grandstand, with View's hill and Joey's surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.