• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Big reunion weekend at Joeys. Plenty of year groups in attendance. There will the class of 63, 73, 83, 93 and 2003 in attendance. I believe as well Joeys classes of 78, 88, 98 and 2018 will be there. Shall be an enormous crowd. My tip. Get there early, grab a seat and don’t move.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
It is Matty. Known him for over 22 years. When I worked at Scots I was given the opportunity to take him around, made sure he had lunch (free BBQ) and made possible that he could do his goal kicking at the halftime breaks. He loves talking to the opposition kids and it an identity in schoolboy rugby. An institution at Riverview
Ah yes the legend of Matty, great guy and good to hear he is still going strong. Rumour in the 90s was he was an exceptional talent in the lower ages and on track for 1st XV/Aussie Schools. But a head injury (again story would often change of how it happened) changed his course in life. Also heard he was not an old boy of iggies. Guess we will never know.

What I do know is he loved Benny Day, Scots 95 or 94, opening batsman for 1st XI. I think also he made GPS for cricket.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Changed over the last couple of years looking at it. Goes with your coaching and team strengths.

If you watched them play this year they aren’t afraid to go sideline to sideline with a lot of passing. I’d say you go that way when you have a 10 like they do and very good Centres.

Other schools like Joeys over the past 4-5 years who have had very good running forwards will use the 4 man pods around the field to suck defenders in and then let quick outside backs play in 1v1 match ups.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Changed over the last couple of years looking at it. Goes with your coaching and team strengths.

If you watched them play this year they aren’t afraid to go sideline to sideline with a lot of passing. I’d say you go that way when you have a 10 like they do and very good Centres.

Other schools like Joeys over the past 4-5 years who have had very good running forwards will use the 4 man pods around the field to suck defenders in and then let quick outside backs play in 1v1 match ups.
Thanks for the explanation..

I still don’t understand why that other poster said there was more merit in this” style of rugby “ rather than the way kings play though … they obviously had success with it ..

The "glory days"

Bob McCowan (2)

I still don’t understand why that other poster said there was more merit in this” style of rugby “ rather than the way kings play though … they obviously had success with it ..
While sporting success is encouraged and is part of competing, games that are hopelessly one-sided are of no educational value.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I had the pleasure sitting with Justice’s father yesterday. While always looking for improvement in his son he did point out the seismic shift in the teams belief. Yesterday they played with great hunger and renewed confidence. Defense was brutal and only 2 late tries made the score look healthier for the Newington team. Joeys defensive pattern was very effective (swarming) and negated the size difference. The impact of the dynamic duo of Young and Doyle was noticeable. Young now had a partner who could bend the line and lay some serious blunt force trauma on the ball carriers. The impact of the second row is also effective with their defensive work at the try line being noticed. Finally the back line looks very confident with the hard running of OJ a delight to see. Yesterday he made a huge strides in his play and belief.

This team believes again. It is not “we hope we win” but “by how much”. If anyone can wreck Kings championship it will be Joeys. Beware the cattle dogs.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

If you win it’s a successful style. Weekend to weekend proposition though.

I’m as guilty as anyone but Saturday early evening opinions are always the spiciest.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
No chance Newington beat Shore at Northbridge this weekend. There will be a low Newington attendance, and they will continue to rely on individual talent (which we all know will not win games). Harsh reality but it's the truth.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Big reunion weekend at Joeys. Plenty of year groups in attendance. There will the class of 63, 73, 83, 93 and 2003 in attendance. I believe as well Joeys classes of 78, 88, 98 and 2018 will be there. Shall be an enormous crowd. My tip. Get there early, grab a seat and don’t move.
Should be a huge weekend Joker but Class of 78 had their reunion at the Shore game. It was a bit easier to get a beer @ Jacks.

Backintheolddays

Bill Watson (15)
I had the pleasure sitting with Justice’s father yesterday. While always looking for improvement in his son he did point out the seismic shift in the teams belief. Yesterday they played with great hunger and renewed confidence. Defense was brutal and only 2 late tries made the score look healthier for the Newington team. Joeys defensive pattern was very effective (swarming) and negated the size difference. The impact of the dynamic duo of Young and Doyle was noticeable. Young now had a partner who could bend the line and lay some serious blunt force trauma on the ball carriers. The impact of the second row is also effective with their defensive work at the try line being noticed. Finally the back line looks very confident with the hard running of OJ a delight to see. Yesterday he made a huge strides in his play and belief.

This team believes again. It is not “we hope we win” but “by how much”. If anyone can wreck Kings championship it will be Joeys. Beware the cattle dogs.
Very much a season of 'what could have been' this year for Joeys. Still a chance for second on the table, not bad when 0-5

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
3rd XV Round 5 Report
The fifth straight competition victory by Scots from their match against Shore yesterday gives them one hand on the Col Windon Shield. A win next week in their a second last round against High will see them heading to the final match against Grammar with a guaranteed share of the premiership and an opportunity to go through the whole competition as undefeated premiers and champions. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Grammar had a good win yesterday over High and will need to beat Kings at home next week to give themselves a chance of sharing the premiership with Scots. Everyone else is out of contention, unless High can upset Scots next week and that's unlikely. But with two rounds to go there's still plenty to play for.

Scots 17 d Shore 5
This was a crucial result for Scots in their quest to win the premiership as they travelled to Shore to play on what looked like a very patchy Northbridge oval. The game was very scrappy and there was not a lot of continuity from either side. Scots definitely made the most of their opportunities and were able to disrupt the normally smooth Shore backline. Many passes went to ground and points were hard to come by. But Scots persisted with their effective pick and drive attack which delivered enough points for a comfortable win. They travel to Centennial Park next week for what should be an easy contest against High and then face Grammar in the final round. They are looking like premiership material and the only question is whether they can remain undefeated to the end. Shore travel up to Armidale for their second last game.

Riverview 24 d Kings 22
I did say that Riverview are hard to beat at home and they came from behind yesterday to beat Kings by 2 points right on full time. This match was do or die for Kings who have now recorded their second loss for the season and sit two losses back from Scots, equal with Riverview and Joeys. Realistically they are all out of the running for the premiership and Riverview's victory yesterday means that both joint premiers from last year will be handing the shield back in 2023. It was a very good win from Riverview yesterday and perhaps an indication of what could have been this year. Riverview will still want to finish strongly as they tackle Joeys next week at Hunters Hill while Kings travel to Grammar.

Grammar 45 d High 5
Grammar had no trouble winning the Battle of the GPS Selective Schools at Centennial Park in their match against High. The formula for Grammar is now simple: Beat Kings next week at home then beat Scots at Bellevue Hill in the final round to share the premiership. A loss in either game puts Grammar out of the running for the Col Windon Shield. High have their final hit out next week against Scots as they played their round 7 match against TAS earlier in the year.

Joeys 65 d TAS 24
It was an absolute pointsfest at Joeys with 15 tries scored in the match. Joeys led 31-19 at half time and then piled on another 34 points in the second half. TAS still managed four tries in the game but were outclassed by Joeys in this fixture. It should be a tougher game for Joeys next week as they face Riverview at Hunters Hill, while TAS host Shore for their final match of the year, having played their round 7 match against High earlier in the comp.

There is plenty to play for with two rounds to go and a few key match ups that will decide the final result for the 3rd XV premiership in 2023.

INP

Last edited:

rugbyfan27

Bob McCowan (2)
IMO Kings style of play is very much give it to the big guy and hope for the best. Although they beat Riverview yesterday it was barely surprising given their forward pack had 15kg on each of the Riverview boys.
(From a scots fan)

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
No chance Newington beat Shore at Northbridge this weekend. There will be a low Newington attendance, and they will continue to rely on individual talent (which we all know will not win games). Harsh reality but it's the truth.
You just cursed them lol

Status
Not open for further replies.