• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

RushingRob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Anyone got some players to watch this weekend that have gone under the radar?
Will Johnson from Scots. 'Snowy', as the kids call him, is a terrific player and talent from the country, near Cowra. However, being a fullback or a centre (can and have played wing and flyhalf also), he has been stuck behind players like Leo Jaques, Zac Fittler, etc, which is very unlucky. I have no doubt he will absolutely shred up in the seconds comp and should find a way into the firsts eventually.

Attached is a highlights video I found of him,

Rookie21

Ted Fahey (11)
Keep an eye out for Rex Bassingthwaighte this weekend. Shore Flyhalf. Loves to run with the ball and plays expansively. A pleasure to watch. I believe he also excels in rugby league. Don't hold me to this but I think there might be a tug-o-war between both codes at some point in the future.

letsruck

Allen Oxlade (6)
Exciting season coming from the 16s this year. Kings, Joeys, Scots and Newington all have incredibly good sides and are very even at this point. The Kings side may be impacted by many players leaving 16s for the opens and could reduce their chances of winning the 16s prem. Scots has 2 players that may leave for opens further on in the season and Newington have 2 props that have already made their 1sts debut against TSC. Should be a very interesting season and may come down to injuries and/or losing players to opens.

Scrum Sandwich

Bob McCowan (2)
Anyone got some players to watch this weekend that have gone under the radar?
Aside from the big name players e.g Jacques, Lemaitre etc here are a few of my picks to make some high representative teams:

#5 Riverview - Dan Smith - Hard ball runner, solid in the lineouts and a defensive stalwart of the View pack.
#15 Kings - Ben Sawyer - From what I've seen - agile, great boot and an ability to create space
#6 Shore - Gus Gordon - Similar to Smith, he's a big unit. Strong in his carry and loves to make his presence felt on defence.

lineout.lunch

Bob McCowan (2)
Aside from the big name players e.g Jacques, Lemaitre etc here are a few of my picks to make some high representative teams:

#5 Riverview - Dan Smith - Hard ball runner, solid in the lineouts and a defensive stalwart of the View pack.
#15 Kings - Ben Sawyer - From what I've seen - agile, great boot and an ability to create space
#6 Shore - Gus Gordon - Similar to Smith, he's a big unit. Strong in his carry and loves to make his presence felt on defence.
Few comments on this one scrum, I agree with most of your comment but doesn't Sawyer play 10 and also isn't he injured? Don't really know why you're commenting on injured players when I asked about players in this round.

Scrum Sandwich

Bob McCowan (2)
Few comments on this one scrum, I agree with most of your comment but doesn't Sawyer play 10 and also isn't he injured? Don't really know why you're commenting on injured players when I asked about players in this round.
I interpreted it as who have been ones to watch, rather than who will be. From what I watched in the Knox vs Kings game, Sawyer was playing that fullback type role - and I'm quite sure he was in the #15 jersey however I've been wrong before. It's also always hard to know who is playing and who isn't on a week to week basis, particularly with the level of secrecy that remains within each school's respective programs however I do see where you are coming from. Just my thoughts.

RushingRob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Exciting season coming from the 16s this year. Kings, Joeys, Scots and Newington all have incredibly good sides and are very even at this point. The Kings side may be impacted by many players leaving 16s for the opens and could reduce their chances of winning the 16s prem. Scots has 2 players that may leave for opens further on in the season and Newington have 2 props that have already made their 1sts debut against TSC. Should be a very interesting season and may come down to injuries and/or losing players to opens.
TSC probably won't lose anyone. The only possibility is Ashton Large to the 2s but I am doubtful that will happen at the moment. Only serious injuries would cause him and Hamish Bull to go up.

letsruck

Allen Oxlade (6)
TSC probably won't lose anyone. The only possibility is Ashton Large to the 2s but I am doubtful that will happen at the moment. Only serious injuries would cause him and Hamish Bull to go up.
Would be surprised if Ashton Large didn't go up for at least one game in the opens this season considering he already played half a game for the 1sts against Cranbrook.

lineout.lunch

Bob McCowan (2)
That was a training game, with players out with injury. Don't take that with too much importance.
Considering this, it is highly likely that there will be injuries throughout the season (especially when teams play on fields like the 'swamp') resulting in some young bucks being needed up in the higher teams. The fact that he has already had a run gives him a high chance of jumping on when a few of those Scots boys get a booboo.

the one who knocks

Stan Wickham (3)
I interpreted it as who have been ones to watch, rather than who will be. From what I watched in the Knox vs Kings game, Sawyer was playing that fullback type role - and I'm quite sure he was in the #15 jersey however I've been wrong before. It's also always hard to know who is playing and who isn't on a week to week basis, particularly with the level of secrecy that remains within each school's respective programs however I do see where you are coming from. Just my thoughts.
Knock Knock,

When I was fortunate enough to get down to the New vs kings game I saw the young chap unfortunately hobbling along on crutches by the Kings bench. Hopefully he is not out for long as he is a great player and I would like to see him play soon.

Additionally the kings 10 that played against new played a great game and was able to control the game and had some nice kicks. Kings should be able to charge on despite their loss of Sawyer as they have great depth in the 10 jersey throughout the grades.

-The One Who Knocks

Last edited:

the_merchant

Bob McCowan (2)
Newington rugby director and old boy Lachlan fear is moving to TAS will be interesting to see if this affects new, he’s also head coach of 16 as

Dear students and families,

We write to advise that Newington Director of Rugby Lachlan Fear has been offered an exciting opportunity as the Director of Co-Curricular and Sport at The Armidale School (TAS), commencing Term 3, 2024. After five years with Newington College, Lachlan will finish on June 28.

Lachlan spent seven years at Sydney Grammar School as the Director of Rugby, assistant Head of Sport and PDHPE teacher, before he commenced at Newington in 2019, bringing with him an in depth understanding of independent school rugby as well as his experience coaching first grade rugby at three Sydney clubs.

Lachlan’s passion for rugby and Newington saw him know every boy in the program irrespective of age or team, he championed for the senior boys at the GPS representative selection table and was a staunch advocate for ensuring all Newington rugby fixtures should be fair, safe, and meaningful for all boys involved.

We know Lachlan is going to be a wonderful asset to TAS - as he has been to Newington as a Director and as a fourth generation Old Boy - and while we're sad to see him go we know this is a wonderful opportunity to further his career. We wish Lachlan, wife Phoebe and their boys all the very best and look forward to hosting TAS and Lachlan in the coming years.

runningrugbyrules

Sydney Middleton (9)
With Toby Rodwell (Newington) and Heamasi Makasini (Newington) picked the NRL City U/18 team who are playing NSW Country this Saturday. I presume they’re skipping Newingtons match against Joeys on the weekend (unless they leave the 12:30 League match at Leichhardt drive to Stanmore and then play at 3pm v Joeys) which could change a few of you tipping Newington this week.

Then if they were picked in the NSW U19 Origin team they play the same week as the return Joeys clash on 22 June, except the origin game is Thurs night. Not long to recover from a very hard match.

The NRL City Country match with Newington, Oakhill, St Pats boys will be streamed 12:30 on Sat on NSWRLTV App for any Newington old boys who are interested

Last edited:

UpnUnder

Sydney Middleton (9)
With Toby Rodwell (Newington) and Heamasi Makasini (Newington) picked the NRL City U/18 team who are playing NSW Country this Saturday. I presume they’re skipping Newingtons match against Joeys on the weekend (unless they leave the 12:30 League match at Leichhardt drive to Stanmore and then play at 3pm v Joeys) which could change a few of you tipping Newington this week.

Then if they were picked in the NSW U19 Origin team they play the same week as the return Joeys clash on 22 June, except the origin game is Thurs night. Not long to recover from a very hard match.

The NRL City Country match with Newington, Oakhill, St Pats boys will be streamed 12:30 on Sat on NSWRLTV App for any Newington old boys who are interested
If true this is ridiculous. They should be barred from any rugby rep honour including GPS. There should also be an enquiry into Newingtons compliance with the rules of the AAGPS.