• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Footy head

Chris McKivat (8)
Personally extremely excited for next years competition, thought I would give a quick ladder prediction heading into the season, obviously major changes will come with finalised team lists, injuries, etc. But an early prediction never hurt anyone;

1. SCOTS - Would love to place the Blue and White for their first premiership since 2006 but I have to give it to the boys from Bellevue Hill, an (almost) full returning back line and returning forwards is always going to be hard to beat and with major depth bound to be in the 2nd XV SCOTS are most definitely the team to beat going into next year.

2. SHORE - Call me bias, I truly believe SHORE should be one of the main challengers for the cup next year, five year 11s all returning and all five are great shouts for GPS 1s and beyond in terms of rep teams, also a 16s age group which have come good in recent years, placing well in this years competition, my only struggle with picking SHORE is a potential lack of depth, however this is one of the Blue and Whites best shots to win the title for the next few years (Until the wonderkid 13As...)

3. RIVERVIEW - Not too much to say about RIVERVIEW here, always a strong side and their 16As have been dominant throughout the competition, led by Gus Grover among others, not familiar enough with the current year 11s if I'm being truthful, however completely expect Hartman to be one of the best players in the GPS and most definitely my pick for most tries in the comp this year.

4. JOEYS - The most feared school in the GPS and it has been that way for years, fully expect these boys to win some massive games at home (Hoping it is another Home and Away season), however the current year 11s are not strong enough to compete with some of the other teams who boast some strong year 12s, the only saving factor from the spoon this year is their exceptional year 10 cohort, who will mostly dominate the 1st XV in my opinion, this will be a building year to come into the 2025 as the obvious favourites.

5. KINGS - Looking at some of the team lists I feel KINGS could be a slight dark horse for the premiership this season, a team which mostly features Year 12s is always going to be strong, however their 1st XV last year was dominated by now graduates and that is always difficult for chemistry, particularly in the early games of the season where I expect them to falter but pick themselves up and win a few big games in the second half of the season, however if they win some games early do not be surprised if they jump up the ladders.

6. NEWINGTON - Unfortunately NEWINGTON is my pick for the spoon, a team with lacklustre Year 11s and while their current Year 10s feature some good players, it is not enough for me to justify them beating out any other teams, not much for me to say here some talent is obvious such as Makasani, Cleverly and Rodwell, NEWINGTON should be above the spoon spot however I don't have faith in their rugby program in general, the talent is there but I don't trust the program.

My wrap up for next year, don't be surprised to see SCOTS take the cake, SHORE among others will be good contenders but SHOREs backline looks lacklustre unfortunately in my eyes, apart from a few standouts, the forward pack will be top 2 in the GPS but can't justify them over SCOTS, KINGS are my dark horse pick for the year and looking forward to next years season.
Collector.
I think that Newington will end up higher as there backline will be pretty strong the year 12 that are leaving this year there spots getting filled with players like Callum Grantham who made gen blue 16s this year, And when the backline in full strength can be one of the best backlines if not the best. Can see shore going well but not second and can also see joeys doing better.

Professor62

Ted Fahey (11)
Riverview have to fit all these players into their 4-8 next year... wonder how they will go about it

Dan Saunders (1s and 2s)
Phoenix Graham (1s, GPS white)
Dan Smith (2s)
Ambrose Hennessey (2s (got on for 1s))
Charlie Harrison (3s)
George Tancred (16a, NSW Schools)
Henri Dempsey (16a/2s, NSW Schools, 15s gen blue)
Campbell Conna (16a/2s, NSW Schools)
Callum McCaffrey (4s(got on for 3s))
Could you please put the positions/numbers.
-Professor

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
They are the kid's main attraction at the scots games.
I thought it was the canteen mums....

shutterstock-editorial-198544b-1591193753.jpg

Kristian ENOS Armstrong

Allen Oxlade (6)
Could you please put the positions/numbers.
-Professor
Saunders plays 4-8
Pheonix is a second row
Dan Smith is a second row, 6, 8
Ambrose plays everywhere, played 4,5,6 this year
Charlie Harrison and George Tancred are 4/5s
Henri Dempsey is a flanker
Campbell Conna is a 8 (can play 6) and in the front row even
Mccaffery plays 7

Last edited:

InsiderScoop

Chris McKivat (8)
Saunders plays 4-8
Pheonix is a second row
Dan Smith is a second row, 6, 8
Ambrose plays everywhere, played 4,5,6 this year
Charlie Harrison and George Tancred are 4/5s
Henri Dempsey is a flanker
Campbell Conna is a 8 (can play 6) and in the front row even
Mccaffery plays 7

2024 View prediction
1. Angus Phillips (1s, GPS White, NSW Schools II)/ Will Hodge (2s)
2. Daniel Osborne (16s GPS, 16s NSW Schools)/ Will Hodge (2s)
3. Conor Dempsey (2-3s)
4. George Tancred (16s GPS, 16s NSW Schools)
5. Phoenix Graham (1s, GPS White)
6. Daniel Saunders (1,2s)
7. Henri Dempsey (16s GPS, 16s NSW Schools)
8. Ambrose Hennesey (2s, depends on rowing), Campbell Conna (16s GPS, 16s NSW Schools)
9. Ed Carter (2s) (C)
10. Angus Grover (16s GPS, Sydney, U16 GenBlue)
11. Brodie Folkes (16s)
12. Jeremy Newton (2s)
13. Tom Hartman (1s, 16s NSW schools, U16 GenBlue)
14. Charlie Watson (3s, 16s GPS)
15. Max Mason (2s)

HM
- Shea Berry
- Joe Paii
- Sam Terry
- Dan Smith
- Tom Johnston
- Harry Davis
- Darcy Macpherson

2024 View prediction
3. Conor Dempsey (2-3s)
8. Ambrose Hennesey (2s, depends on rowing), Campbell Conna (16s GPS, 16s NSW Schools)
9. Ed Carter (2s) (C)
11. Brodie Folkes (16s)
12. Jeremy Newton (2s)
15. Max Mason (2s)

HM
- Shea Berry
- Joe Paii
- Sam Terry
- Dan Smith
- Tom Johnston
- Harry Davis
- Darcy Macpherson
I think this team personally would show no chance in contending for a prem. Too many year 11s and not enough talent.

Riverview have to fit all these players into their 4-8 next year... wonder how they will go about it

Dan Saunders (1s and 2s)
Phoenix Graham (1s, GPS white)
Dan Smith (2s)
Ambrose Hennessey (2s (got on for 1s))
Charlie Harrison (3s)
George Tancred (16a, NSW Schools)
Henri Dempsey (16a/2s, NSW Schools, 15s gen blue)
Campbell Conna (16a/2s, NSW Schools)
Callum McCaffrey (4s(got on for 3s))
Take tancred, Dan smith out

2024 View prediction
3. Conor Dempsey (2-3s)
9. Ed Carter (2s) (C)
11. Brodie Folkes (16s)
12. Jeremy Newton (2s)
15. Max Mason (2s)

HM
- Shea Berry
- Joe Paii
- Sam Terry
- Dan Smith
- Tom Johnston
- Harry Davis
- Darcy Macpherson
I would say this is pretty close. I would add in as contenders Angus McGrath at 10/12, George Field at 14, Harrison Davis at 13, Henry Butler at 12 Other schools will underestimate the Ignatian spirit in 2024, as they always do, at their peril. The Rugby programe at Riverview has received a new lease of life over the last couple of years with some very keen and knowledgeable co-ordinators, they have excellent coaching (the best First XV coach in the AAGPS in Toby L'Estrange), the boys all play for each other, A teams stand on the sideline and cheer for F teams - it is wonderful to see. The concept of keeping the 16As all together when a few could have played 1s or 2s this season, Grover, Dempsey, Tancred, Conna - will prove to be a masterstroke. Winning is habit and that will continue into next year. Conversely, I predict that Scots, with all their introduced talent, will wallow at the bottom - because that School epitomizes the exact opposite of the reasons that mean Riverview will excel.

I would say this is pretty close. I would add in as contenders Angus McGrath at 10/12, George Field at 14, Harrison Davis at 13, Henry Butler at 12 Other schools will underestimate the Ignatian spirit in 2024, as they always do, at their peril. The Rugby programe at Riverview has received a new lease of life over the last couple of years with some very keen and knowledgeable co-ordinators, they have excellent coaching (the best First XV coach in the AAGPS in Toby L'Estrange), the boys all play for each other, A teams stand on the sideline and cheer for F teams - it is wonderful to see. The concept of keeping the 16As all together when a few could have played 1s or 2s this season, Grover, Dempsey, Tancred, Conna - will prove to be a masterstroke. Winning is habit and that will continue into next year. Conversely, I predict that Scots, with all their introduced talent, will wallow at the bottom - because that School epitomizes the exact opposite of the reasons that mean Riverview will excel.
Well said