• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
sphill said:
Two words...."swine flu"
A number of possible cases with at least three confirmed at SJC this week.
The match with TSC could be called off due to health regulations.

Joeys are out of the comp until September according to one report I heard - and if true will leave them playing only one game in the season. A bit sad for the lads as playing for the Joeys 1sts must have been their dream.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Lee Grant said:
sphill said:
Two words...."swine flu"
A number of possible cases with at least three confirmed at SJC this week.
The match with TSC could be called off due to health regulations.

Joeys are out of the comp until September according to one report I heard - and if true will leave them playing only one game in the season. A bit sad for the lads as playing for the Joeys 1sts must have been their dream.

Would be very surprised if that is the case Lee. Have heard the rest of the comp will go ahead as planned.

B

Brittany

Pigs might fly !

(you know swine influenza - pigs/flu - pigs might fly .................................... yeah well it was kind of funny five minutes ago ................ and no I'm not wearing any underwear)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I heard yesterday that the games between Scots and Joeys, cancelled because the swine hit Joeys just before the 1st round of matches, will be re-scheduled for after the other rounds are completed.

Meantime Joeys won their 2nd game of the comp (out of 2) at Weigall:

Joeys 57 Grammar 0

Joeys scored 9 tries against Grammar who were outclassed but kept trying. The Joeys forwards just ripped them to pieces like mad dogs and they set up a lot of tries for the backs, not all of which were taken. The forwards ran away with a few tries and it was embarrassing to the home crowd to see their backs not been able to keep up with Joeys hooker Hickie or their THP Lamont.

2nds
Joeys 41 Grammar 7

Joeys 15/10, Dillon Walford, nephew of Ricky of Dragons fame, ran through Grammar time and time again. He is a sure bet for the Ones next year as is his good mate Corey Ashby who is already in the 1st XV and scored 4 tries last week against Newington. Dill got on the field late in the Ones game also but dropped the first bomb he got.

Keep you eyes on the pill Dill - or there will be no more rides in my car.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Thanks Lee - will be singing "walk on" at No 1 next weekend for the first time in 20 years!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
According to the Sunday papers the match between Riverview and Scots was a cracker.

View got the chockies 25-21 but the star of the game, according to journalist Lamberton and opposition coach Clifford, was fullback Jacob Woodhouse from Scots.

As mentioned on the Oz Schoolboys thread: Woodhouse was one of the stars of the Oz Schools tournament and one of those players destined to play Super rugby - though I haven't heard any whispers yet that rugby Acadamies are after him.

Please not the Dark Side Yoda; not the Dark Side.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Went out to Kings on Saturday for the finale of the GPS comp. Riverview undefeated and Kings could be joint premiers if they won match.
Initial observations on a sunny Saturday arvo were:
- beautiful playing surface,ruined by the retention of cricket pitch in the missle. Also it is definately not a level pitch,seems to fall away to the south-west corner.
- the no alchohol policy(announced several times) was largely ignored by the Kings parents etc enjoying picnics on the hill.
Match opened at a cracking pace and it appeared the Kings forwards played above themselves in dominating possession and providing quality ball to their speedy backiline. Kings ran in 4 tries in first half with Ferris(centre) and both wingers catching the eye. Score an amazing 26-0 at half-time.
Half-time proved a turning point and in the 2nd half, the Kings forwards appeared to tire, allowing View back into the game. They started winning ball- although often it was scrappy. Gradually they pegged score back ,helped by numerous Kings mistakes.
Final score was Kings 26- Riverview 24, to provide a joint Premiership(by same teams for 2nd year in a row)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Had the good fortune of being at Northbridge for Shore vs Joeys, which provided an absolute cracker in both the 1sts and 2nds. Renewed my faith in rugby, in fact. In the 1sts Joeys skipped out to a 12-0 lead thanks to an intercept try and some enterprising backlne play, lead by fullback Walford who had a blinder. However Shore pegged them back with a lineout rolling maul and a somewhat fortunate up-and-under which landed just on a good length on the cricket pitch and bounced back into the hands of the 5/8 Carmichael, who was Shore's best. 17-14 Joeys at the break.

The second half was a similar story, Joeys scored an early try from close range, which was answered by another Shore lineout maul. With seemingly not long to go, a runaway try to winger Ashby (who also played very well) looked to have put the game beyond doubt, with the scoreline at 29-19. However, a quick try under the sticks to Carmichael moved the score to 29-26 with only a few minutes left. From there, Shore patiently moved it down the field, and the final minutes were spent hammering the Joeys line repeatedly. The Joeys defence was superb, but Shore's composure and ball retention was better, with big centre Gilmore driving over after about 25 phases on the Joeys line.

Final score 31-29 to Shore, the first time they have beaten Joeys at home since 1997. Although nothing was on the line for either side, it was a great game of running rugby played in great spirit, and showed for me why schoolboy rugby is probably the best on offer at the moment.

Cyril Towers (30)
barbarian said:
Had the good fortune of being at Northbridge for Shore vs Joeys, which provided an absolute cracker in both the 1sts and 2nds. Renewed my faith in rugby, in fact. In the 1sts Joeys skipped out to a 12-0 lead thanks to an intercept try and some enterprising backlne play, lead by fullback Walford who had a blinder. However Shore pegged them back with a lineout rolling maul and a somewhat fortunate up-and-under which landed just on a good length on the cricket pitch and bounced back into the hands of the 5/8 Carmichael, who was Shore's best. 17-14 Joeys at the break.

The second half was a similar story, Joeys scored an early try from close range, which was answered by another Shore lineout maul. With seemingly not long to go, a runaway try to winger Ashby (who also played very well) looked to have put the game beyond doubt, with the scoreline at 29-19. However, a quick try under the sticks to Carmichael moved the score to 29-26 with only a few minutes left. From there, Shore patiently moved it down the field, and the final minutes were spent hammering the Joeys line repeatedly. The Joeys defence was superb, but Shore's composure and ball retention was better, with big centre Gilmore driving over after about 25 phases on the Joeys line.

Final score 31-29 to Shore, the first time they have beaten Joeys at home since 1997. Although nothing was on the line for either side, it was a great game of running rugby played in great spirit, and showed for me why schoolboy rugby is probably the best on offer at the moment.
Sorry I’m a bit late catching up with this post but it reminds of the game in 2003 at Shore when Shore were in front by about 10 with about 5 to go. Joeys scored and converted and there wasn’t much time left. Shore kicked off and it went to Laurie Weeks (recently of Qld Reds fame) who ran about 20 metres mostly across field and then fired a bullet pass to a fast winger down the right side who did the rest. Joeys snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
I know that Joeys v Riverview is the traditional rivalry but it seems to me that Shore are tough every year, regardless of how the table looks and I know that Joeys has enormous respect for them.
In my not so humble opinion there are usually more good GPS games than good test matches almost every year that I can remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.