• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

G&GR News Bot

The good big men beat the good little men to place Newington as the clear championship favourites. Aug. 18, 2012. Sunny and 16 degrees. Crowd – 1,500 On a day when Costa from Gardening Australia was reffing the 3rds in his short-shorts, one felt anything could happen on a sunny day at Scots (apparently, the kids call him Jesus).

Click this link to read the full article...

G

G&GR News Bot

The Kings v Grammar match was a difficult game to watch for any fair minded rugby supporter. by G-78-XV-V Grammar 0 – Kings 100 Grammar’s new coach, Lachlan Fear, confirmed after the game that his team had to make six changes from the previous week, including the entire back row and both centres. Those substitutions highlighted

Click this link to read the full article...

Think About Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Kings v Grammar match was a difficult game to watch for any fair minded rugby supporter. by G-78-XV-V Grammar 0 – Kings 100 Grammar’s new coach, Lachlan Fear, confirmed after the game that his team had to make six changes from the previous week, including the entire back row and both centres. Those substitutions highlighted

Click this link to read the full article.

Agree It was not a pretty sight. The real question is how does Grammar go foward. Do you think there is enough in the 15's and 16's to continue on. Or is it time to pull out of firsts or whole GPS comp?

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
I'm confused at how you arrive at this analysis. I'm a long time scots supporter yet I fail to realise how scots has proven itself above shore. Shore have defeated Kings and View. Scots have defeated joeys, view and lost to New. Shore is on the top end of ladder. They have defeated the teams who were supposed to be there. I don't think View are out of form nor are Kings, I just think that the Shore team this year is a very special one. I am yet to see a team this year that displays such a huge never-say-die attitude. It is for this reason that this year I have taken such an interest in them. I really hope they pull it off, however I won't vocalise my support for obvious reasons ;).

Finally, I think shore have sufficiently displayed a "hunger" to win by gusting it out against two of the preseason favourites. Next week it will be shore by 7. Beware the underdog.
As another Scots supporter I agree totally. If we have a dry track i think it will be a case of those that make the least mistakes will win. It will be very close. If its wet I think Shore will keep it tight and Scots will struggle. On current form Scots should certainly not be favourites. After being at the game on the weekend the scoreline did not really show the closeness of the contest. Scots got back to 10-12 then bombed a try twice to go up then let a soft try in after half time. Even at that stage there was still a contest. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Scots probably cost themselves 4 tries by not passing or bad options. No sour grapes View were good, particularly the forwards and ,although not unbeatable, will be tough. The game this weekend will be a corker and Scots will treat the Shore boys with the respect they deserve.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
side question (wipe it later) trying to find a thread for the SJRU as their finals started yesterday, anyone any help??

No thread for the Juniors, but you could try the Buddha system to get the results:
http://www.sjru.com.au/buddha/index.php?action=view_results

Sunday Competition - select SSUN
Saturday Competition - select SSAT
Friday Night Competition - select SFRI

Then chose the "SF" as the round, and the relevant grade you are interested in.

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
The good big men beat the good little men to place Newington as the clear championship favourites. Aug. 18, 2012. Sunny and 16 degrees. Crowd – 1,500 On a day when Costa from Gardening Australia was reffing the 3rds in his short-shorts, one felt anything could happen on a sunny day at Scots (apparently, the kids call him Jesus).

Nice summary of the game. I think that the big difference was that Newington played as a team and Scots played too much as individuals. Could have been a better result for them if they played as a team - your statements about Kellaway not passing when blind freddie would have are good examples of this.

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)

Oh dear and Grammar now has to play Joeys away next weekend!

John Dale

Frank Nicholson (4)
Shore has beaten both Kings and View at home, they are playing Scots this week also at home. What are their chances? surely some of the doubters have realised that this years Shore team is no pushover after already coming away with a win against Scots at Scots in the trials!
Opinions for this game? as the result may very well decide if New will run away with the premiership, or if it will come down to a huge game out at New the following week!

I do not think the shore back-line is at the level of their 3 remanning teams teams (scots newington joeys). The general consensus is that Riverview have lacked any flair all year in the backs, however Shore allowed them cause damage all game yesterday. It was their everr reliable scramble defence from there small but mobile frowards that seemed to save them on numerous occasions. Some real defensive issues for the shore backs that will have to be solved before going up against some of the best attacking backs going around schoolboy rugby this year. I think we all know who is getting alluded to there.
In my opinion there is nothing to separate Riverview and Shore from saturdays game.
I would not be surprised too see the newington 1st XV side over at Shore this weekend to have a look at the Shore side.
At this stage you can not see Newington losing another game this year.

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
By my count there were 16 King’s tries, 10 of which were converted by (15) Tourish. Everyone across the board was making easy metres because Grammar were failing off their first-up tackles.

After 15 minutes the score was 26-0 and at half time it was 59-0. In the second half Kings replaced some forwards and the whole backline, strangely enough except Jones, who remained virtually unutilised on the wing as everyone running inside him was finding space.

I find it hard to believe that Kings scored 16 tries and Harry Jones name isn't against at least one of them! I recall reading a post about a week or two ago where it was stated that the ball wasn't getting out to him very often on the right wing.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
100 - zip. Who gains from this?

But Kings shouldn't have to run out their 16B's to make it a fair contest.

Time to think about more progressive/inventive ways of running AAGPS rugby rather than School vs School, assuming all schools are more or less equal in all grades.

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
I find it hard to believe that Kings scored 16 tries and Harry Jones name isn't against at least one of them! I recall reading a post about a week or two ago where it was stated that the ball wasn't getting out to him very often on the right wing.

I have seen a number of mismatched scorelines in schools/junior matches where the wingers often don't trouble the scorers much. Frequently in such lopsided clashes, everyone from the front rowers to the centres do the bulk of the scoring. There being no pressure from the defence in the middle, the attacking team does not need to resort to its wingers.

As reported by G-78-XV-V, when "everyone running inside him was finding space", it's neither a reflection on the Kings' team nor H. Jones' lack of enthusiam to be more involved. The former will be more accurately assessed in Kings' upcoming assignments.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
I have seen a number of mismatched scorelines in schools/junior matches where the wingers often don't trouble the scorers much. Frequently in such lopsided clashes, everyone from the front rowers to the centres do the bulk of the scoring. There being no pressure from the defence in the middle, the attacking team does not need to resort to its wingers.

As reported by G-78-XV-V, when "everyone running inside him was finding space", it's neither a reflection on the Kings' team nor H. Jones' lack of enthusiam to be more involved. The former will be more accurately assessed in Kings' upcoming assignments.

I heard that Jones scored twice for Newport in the SJRU Open A's major semi against Canterbury yesterday playing at 15 - maybe they are using him more effectively?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Front row and general safety issues aside, at 50 - 0, you should start swapping the backs with the forwards, so the fatties get an idea of what the show ponies get up to, and vice versa.

A score of 100 - 0 serves very little purpose, unless it is anyone against the Soap Dodgers, or the Darkness, and then the scoreline is not high enough at 100 - 0.

W

Wowsah

I do not think the shore back-line is at the level of their 3 remanning teams teams (scots newington joeys). The general consensus is that Riverview have lacked any flair all year in the backs, however Shore allowed them cause damage all game yesterday. It was their everr reliable scramble defence from there small but mobile frowards that seemed to save them on numerous occasions. Some real defensive issues for the shore backs that will have to be solved before going up against some of the best attacking backs going around schoolboy rugby this year. I think we all know who is getting alluded to there.
In my opinion there is nothing to separate Riverview and Shore from saturdays game.
I would not be surprised too see the newington 1st XV side over at Shore this weekend to have a look at the Shore side.
At this stage you can not see Newington losing another game this year.

Interesting opinion, but then again Shore wasn't up to the level of any team heading into the season according to some. Each week there seems to surface more "reasons" why Shore will not contend despite their performances suggesting otherwise. Each week they prove doubters wrong. I'm looking forward to how this is going to pan out. I think shore v newington will probably decide the season.

One more thing, Scots seem to have done ok with what some describe as an ordinary forward pack (not my thoughts). If shores backs aren't at the same level of the other 3 then it probably matters about the same.

THE REF 94

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think Shore's backs really clicked on the weekend, admitedly for the first time this season. A big reason was that Nic Clancy finally returned from injury at fullback, and has a great combination with his twin Jack after playing together for so many years. the other bonus is also that Davies is now at 12. Who links well with Arnold after playing together for a number of years. No doubt they will face a huge challenge against all the backlines they are yet to face. They lack in size but so far that hasn't troubled them too much against Riverview and Kings in defence. They don't put on big hits but seem to scramble really well and tackle low.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
I heard that Jones scored twice for Newport in the SJRU Open A's major semi against Canterbury yesterday playing at 15 - maybe they are using him more effectively?

Many scribes have talked about some schoolboys being jaded because of the rep season but how many are playing outside school and how many do not want to get injured on a Saturday so they can play for their club on a Sunday
What should take priority?

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
He's actually a born and bred Sydney boy and has been at Kings since early Prep days. His family moved to the NT a couple of years ago and run a tourist business there. He's previously represented NT in Rugby 7's tournaments and qualifies on the basis of past representation.
Cheers CTPE!

I just thought it was a prick of a bus ride... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.