• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Kings played Giggleswick ( great name:D ) in Yorkshire on Wednesday winning 53 to 0.
24 hours later, after a 6 hour bus trip, they played Queen Elisabeth Hospital School Bristol winning 33 to 0.
Kings Coaching staff are enjoying experimenting with lots of different combinations and positional changes.
Cositent to all reports are the challenging conditions( snow, hail, 100km/hr wind )the boys are learning to cope with.
Kings now move on to much sterner competitors in Hartpury College ( Sunday ) and Wellington College. ( Tuesday ).
Riverview I heard ( can anyone confirm?) defeated Sandbach College in England. Game One ( seconds??) 54 to 5.
Game Two ( Firsts ??) Riverview won 17 to 5

You seem to be getting some pretty good inside information there Stem. I googled both Hartpury and Wellington's websites and whilst Wellington certainly seems to be the UK's strongest rugby school historically it looks like they've lost a couple of games this season whilst Hartpury are undefeated (not sure if they play in the same division). In any event if these are the two strongest teams Kings are playing I'd be interested in hearing about their starting lineups as you'd expect that these would give an early indication of the Kings coaches views on the first XV for next year.

Also do you know who the strongest opponents are that View are facing on their tour?

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
1. Ahosivi
2. Vea
3. Pryor-lees?
4. Cannell/??
5. Prassas??
6. ??
7. Morris
8. Vasilis
9. Lussick/Hood/Vianellos/Reiji
10. Lussick/Ellis
11. ??
12. Moeroa
13. Milne/Vlahos??
14. Vlahos
15. Pople/Hood

Thanks tzimmy. They are also going to be very competitive...plenty of talent in that line up.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
After last year seeing a few under 16s boys in 1st across the GPS, does anyone know of any 16s for next year who may do the same?

stem

Stan Wickham (3)
You seem to be getting some pretty good inside information there Stem. I googled both Hartpury and Wellington's websites and whilst Wellington certainly seems to be the UK's strongest rugby school historically it looks like they've lost a couple of games this season whilst Hartpury are undefeated (not sure if they play in the same division). In any event if these are the two strongest teams Kings are playing I'd be interested in hearing about their starting lineups as you'd expect that these would give an early indication of the Kings coaches views on the first XV for next year.

Also do you know who the strongest opponents are that View are facing on their tour?

Sorry CTPE I cannot find anything on the Kings touring squads starting line ups for any of their matches...I can only access match reports ( tour blog website)...also unable to even find a Riverview itinerary in the hope of Identifying their toughest opponents.
Hartpury College website claims their U18 team as national champions for the last 2 years so they are going to be very difficult to roll .

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
News from the latest match played by View against Old Swinford Hospital School, Stourbridge near Birmingham:

The First team won 12-7 (tries to Redden and Cutler) in a very physical encounter. Coach Jim Potts commented to the boys after the game it was one of the best and toughest performances he had seen from Riverview team in his short history at the College. There was much banter between the coaches from both sides wanting to talk down their teams, but in the end the younger and hungrier View boys had all the answers. Everything seemed to go against us, the referee spent more time talking and cautioning Riverview players then I have ever seen - walking 30 metres across the field to have a 2 minute chat played right into our hands giving our boys who may have lacked the conditioning the locals had because they are in the middle of their season and we are only 3 games into ours. Thanks Buddy - no thanks for giving Mitch Whiteley 10 minutes in the sin bin for repeated infringements when he was doing the same things the OSH gents were (these unbiased comments by the way from a level 2 referee with over 20 years at the whistle!).

Sam Martin, Mitch Whiteley and Jack Dempsey defend the line
So what were the highlights of the game:

1) Oli Barker, close to man of the match ran the ball and tackled himself to a standstill

Oli Barker
2) Rookie Tom Molloy making a brilliant cover tackle late on the game denying them a score that could have tied the scores.

3) Tom Cutler breaking away down field, finding Bill Freeman who returned the ball back to Cuts to score the winning try

4) Harry Rorkes’ bone crunching defence and powerful running

5) Dan Pribula’s accurate throws in the lineouts which won most of our throws (and his discretion when he got fired up not to carry on and give away silly penalties - Pribs you are maturing as a rugby player)

6) Jack Dempsey’s ability to carry the ball over the gain line, spin and make another 15-20 metres

7) Jack Redden’s ability to beat his man (who was supposedly their star player)

the boys ability to live the tour moto of WE/ME and still win when the penalty count is something like 25-5 and about 15 in a row their way in the second half.

All smiles after the game
So the tour is now a week old and we have played half our fixtures - the injuries are starting to mount up - this is where the Riverview spirit of digging deep will need to come to the fore. Sunday we bid farewell to our hosts and travel down to Eastbourne - we plan to see as much as possible leaving at 9am passing through Stratford upon Avon, the town of Oxford and anything else we can take in on the way.

More to come……………………………………………

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Remaining matches in View's itinerary:

Tuesday 13th Dec: Eastbourne College
Thursday 15th Dec: London Oratory School (!!!)
Wednesday 21st Dec: RUGBY CLUB CLAMART 92, Paris

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Thanks Nusa, Sounds like a great team developing and a great experience for the boys. Wish they had tours like that when I was at the school

stem

Stan Wickham (3)
Thanks Nusa, Sounds like a great team developing and a great experience for the boys. Wish they had tours like that when I was at the school
Could not agree more Joe Mac......outstanding experience for these young men, on every level....and yes in my day the ultimate rugby/cultural tour was to Brisbane for 4 nights??
As expected Kings lost badly to Hartpury 34 to nil.
"they were bigger, better drilled, more skilled and more organised "
This quote reminds me of the far superior performances I witnessed in Sydney when privileged to watch the English Schoolboys touring side play in October this year.
Is this concept of "Rugby Academies" in the UK, the reason we are seeing this yawning gap in schoolboy skill levels or is 2011 just an aberration/ weak year for Australia ???

J

jayden

Anyway- who cares....

Anyone want to post a team for Scots or View?

I will try and shed some light on scots, view and shore.
Firstly I can't believe that people are confirming a joeys side as pre- season favourites. Scots have Australian schoolboys 10 and 12 returning. Stewart literally carried scots at times last year, i just cant believe he has not recieved more attention on this blog. Kellaway would be scots 2nd most dangerous attacking and defensicve weapon behind stewart both a game winner and a big game player. They have a good halfback in Lock (i think), a returning 13 and a highly rated 16s coming through.

View, have three big guns returning from their champion side. Whitely, Dempsey and Rorke. Expect plenty of agression and i have a feeling that view forwards should not be challenged. The backline is where view may be let down. If they are able to produce a few hard ball runners and some steady defence, might be a case of deja vu.

Intrestingly I am hearing lots and lots of talk about two twins from shore, who although they are young have ample amount of talent. They might join the likes of buckling, davies and halfback pulver and cause some trouble. shame that a few of their underage guys didn't come back, specifically mac rea there captain, which would make 3 years in the 1stxv and 1stxiii(no mean feat at shore) for which he was captain of both last year despite being born in the middle of 1994.

anyone else chip in?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Thanks for the insights Jayden, great post.

What are the Scots forwards looking like?

Do you know if View have a decent playmaker for 2012? Looking at the video versus Scots their 10 from this year looked like he made the difference between the sides...

[video=youtube;jdvgl7IV5OQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdvgl7IV5OQ[/video]

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Could not agree more Joe Mac......outstanding experience for these young men, on every level....and yes in my day the ultimate rugby/cultural tour was to Brisbane for 4 nights??
This quote reminds me of the far superior performances I witnessed in Sydney when privileged to watch the English Schoolboys touring side play in October this year.
Is this concept of "Rugby Academies" in the UK, the reason we are seeing this yawning gap in schoolboy skill levels or is 2011 just an aberration/ weak year for Australia ???

The UK Schools Rugby results website is showing that Kings defeated Wellington College 22-18.

Can't see any result for the View v Eastbourne College game.

stem

Stan Wickham (3)
Correct CTPE. Kings won 22 -18 over Wellington College. Tight game played apparently on a magnificent ground in front of the whole school... great atmosphere. Wellington gracious hosts and must feel frustrated as it was two tries to them and only one by Kings...penalty conversions being the difference.
Have heard View beat Eastbourne comfortably 22-10.
Kings play US Rugby Annecy France 6am tomorrow morning our time.

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Have been hearing reports that young Joeys star Andrew Deegan is spending the christmass break with the buddist monks in Tibet in preperation for the 2012 season. Expect a big year from the golden child

stem

Stan Wickham (3)
Have been hearing reports that young Joeys star Andrew Deegan is spending the christmass break with the buddist monks in Tibet in preperation for the 2012 season. Expect a big year from the golden child
That is an interesting team preparation.....As "the golden child" he will no doubt vision and embrace many of the Dalai Lama doctrines ...such as...
If you can,... help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them.
A powerful and challenging principle to live by..... BUT difficult in the context of that wonderful 80 minutes we call rugby.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)

It looks like Hartpury play in a special competition called AASE League for the 12 schools that run rugby Academys in conjunction with the English Rugby Union where the students do "an apprenticship in Rugby!!

Hartpury have an AASE win loss record so far this year of 7-0 and a points differential of +200 scoring on average 32 points a per game and conceding less than 4 - all against other Academy Schools!!! Probably put's the Kings loss to them in a better perspective.

stem

Stan Wickham (3)
It looks like Hartpury play in a special competition called AASE League for the 12 schools that run rugby Academys in conjunction with the English Rugby Union where the students do "an apprenticship in Rugby!!

Hartpury have an AASE win loss record so far this year of 7-0 and a points differential of +200 scoring on average 32 points a per game and conceding less than 4 - all against other Academy Schools!!! Probably put's the Kings loss to them in a better perspective.
Great detailed info CTPE.... Thanks...what is the source...the English Schools Rugby site???
Anyhow the info will definitely soothe a number of battered egos I am sure. Cheers
I suppose these Rugby Academies are the equivalent of our Sports High Schools ...I still feel even tho based on limited experience/ observations/ matches the English do seem to be producing a higher skilled individual in their programs compared to Oz.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I will try and shed some light on scots, view and shore.
Firstly I can't believe that people are confirming a joeys side as pre- season favourites. Scots have Australian schoolboys 10 and 12 returning. Stewart literally carried scots at times last year, i just cant believe he has not recieved more attention on this blog. Kellaway would be scots 2nd most dangerous attacking and defensicve weapon behind stewart both a game winner and a big game player. They have a good halfback in Lock (i think), a returning 13 and a highly rated 16s coming through.

View, have three big guns returning from their champion side. Whitely, Dempsey and Rorke. Expect plenty of agression and i have a feeling that view forwards should not be challenged. The backline is where view may be let down. If they are able to produce a few hard ball runners and some steady defence, might be a case of deja vu.

Intrestingly I am hearing lots and lots of talk about two twins from shore, who although they are young have ample amount of talent. They might join the likes of buckling, davies and halfback pulver and cause some trouble. shame that a few of their underage guys didn't come back, specifically mac rea there captain, which would make 3 years in the 1stxv and 1stxiii(no mean feat at shore) for which he was captain of both last year despite being born in the middle of 1994.

anyone else chip in?

im guessing your talking about the Clancys. Personally i think they're overrated, they're very good players but not anything special. I couldnt see them playing 1s anywhere else.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Great detailed info CTPE.... Thanks...what is the source...the English Schools Rugby site???
Anyhow the info will definitely soothe a number of battered egos I am sure. Cheers
I suppose these Rugby Academies are the equivalent of our Sports High Schools ...I still feel even tho based on limited experience/ observations/ matches the English do seem to be producing a higher skilled individual in their programs compared to Oz.

The English Schools Rugby Results site is at: http://www.schoolsrugby.co.uk/

I think Hartpury and other UK Academy Schools are way above our Sports High Schools, particularly from a facilities perspective. Check out http://www.hartpury.ac.uk/Hartpury-College/Hartpury-Sport/Facilities/

stem

Stan Wickham (3)
Kings school final leg of tour in France and Italy . Kings beat US Rugby Annecy 44-5. Last night defeated Petrarca Padua 41-0.( final game)
Results would indicate somewhat of a mismatch of skill levels in selecting opposition sides in this final leg of the tour.
Now to conclude sightseeing and the long trip home to family for Christmas. Merry Xmas to all on the G&G forum and to both school touring sides Riverview and Kings.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Some 2012 lineups suggested to date:

New line up
1. Ahosivi​
2. Vea​
3. Pryor-lees?​
4. Cannell/??​
5. Prassas??​
6. ??​
7. Morris​
8. Vasilis​