• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom james

Do you all seriously think riverview arent a shot atleast a top 3 finish?

SealClubber77

Stan Wickham (3)
GPS 2012,

This forum is clearly full of errors. To be honest the best player in the competition at the moment would be the number 7 for joeys- Tom Murphy. Followed by a close Oscar "Manbear" Lees of the newington school.... Furthermore, the GPS competition this year is going to be a competitive one with i believe 4 schools fighting for the premiership (Newington, Joeys, Scots, Kings).

Goodluck to all members of the 1st and 2nd XV'S.

I feel that Whitely should also be mentioned, his impact on games is easily noticeable

N

NEWINGTON 2012

Tom james Frank Row (1)
New

Do you all seriously think riverview arent a shot atleast a top 3 finish?​

i dont think they are to be honest tom james.

I

Iloveguslelievre

You are from shore yet your name is 'Iloveguslelievre'... however, not disagreeing with your statement regarding Robertson being the best prop in the GPS as i believe he is a one of kind athlete and has the ability to go very far, i hope he does.
i do have a shore background however being from wagga i happen to know le lievre and take a keen interest in his development as a footballer and made the name as a partial joke considering my alliegences.........i to believe robertson has potential to go far as well and quite frankly i think he is miles ahead of opl as far as his ability as a footballer and his chance at gaining a representative jersey

I

Iloveguslelievre

o'donoghue played 60 minutes with a badly broken nose against view showing the ticker that all gps players should take note of and espire to emulate
i agree capitano....o donahue is an absolute gem of a player and i think that he is simply amazing in a game situation as he showed against newington with his barnestorming tackle on milne that was simply class and perfection

B

Bandit

Bill Freeman is the most overrated player in the country
He wont make GPS 1's this year but he has some potential. I haven't heard many people talking about him at all. Who has been 'overrating' him. Even if a few people do mention him it is probably warranted as any player who can make 1sts in year 10 is doing pretty well

F

fernando

He wont make GPS 1's this year but he has some potential. I haven't heard many people talking about him at all. Who has been 'overrating' him. Even if a few people do mention him it is probably warranted as any player who can make 1sts in year 10 is doing pretty well
most overrated player in the country was a little over the top but he is definitely not as good as everybody says he is and i don't believe that he should be playing firsts... i am not saying he is a bad player he is a good in his own age group but i think that he needs a little more time to develop his skills and get a bit bigger before playing in firsts.

E

elcapitano

i put ten bucks on riverview to win, joeys second and kings third

I will shake on that one buddy, i strongly believe that this competition is one of the most even we will ever see within the gps competition. It will be won by those willing to put their body on the line. i believe joeys forward pack with their take no prisoners attitude will make many contest hard at hunters hill!

R

RiverviewGlory

I happened to watch the 4ths joeys team the other week and although I have not seen much of him, Ben chapplin, the hooker of tr team, had a serious impact and I would hope he would progress to the ones and make a top three gps team

G

gps guru

i put ten bucks on riverview to win, joeys second and kings third
You seem a bit confident there? Kings easily have the best backline in the comp, and Joeys the best forward pack, lead by Jack "Ball-Fiddler" Watts (one of the best backrowers in the competition in my opinion). I'm not too sure Riverview have the firepower to take out this years competition

Tom Burke

Bob McCowan (2)
My GPS 1's
1) Piggy
2) Vea
3) ManBear
4) Rorke
5) O'Donahue
6) Dempsey
7) Goldie
8) Whiteley
9) Lussick
10) Horwitz
11) Wilde
12) Barclay
13) Redden
14) B.Freeman
15) Kellaway

not a bad team there sealclubber, but i think big ben carolan could give vea a run for his money as far as the hooking role goes. Sure big ben does love to slam a feed, but he is improving in his hooking role more as the weeks go and has an even bigger appetite on the field than off the field.

J

Jackson Smith

with this years scots forward pack in complete disarray it does not suprise me that you would come and watch two heavy-weights fight it out, but you seem to be surely mislead in your knowledge of rugby as a forwards job must differ at Bellvue hill. the large and lethargic new pack are riddled with incompentants such as the likes of (1) (4) (5) (7) and many other liabilities, as well as a definate lack of depth. the opposing forward pack consisted of efficient forwards who are able to maintain a presence for a full game; the underrated scrumming and lineout abilities of (2) and (7) who really gives it his all, in an inspiring effort to win the breakdown.

However as previously pointed out by Grammar2012 Pryor-Lees may be able to clean 60 kgs, but if he were to make any form of a rep team, i would lose my faith completely in GPS selectors and humanity.

Yes you have a point there majestic unicorn, watching the game on the weekend I believed the 7 and 8 from new worked well together, Cannell I believed been pushed to no.8 role from 2nd row after injury to another player. Both these player I thought played well, cannell making try saving tackles and being a tough ball runner and morris getting a few turnovers and putting real pressure on deegan, and despite the relative unfitness of the new pack they were physical with there 1 on 1 tackles and looked like a force to be reckoned with along with there centres which gave barclay and Kay a real run for there money. My prediction tepai to make gps 1's and few other representative jerseys to be handed to the players in whom played in the joeys new game on the weekend.

R

random205

To be honest, i frankly do not understand this hype about 'manbear' pryor lees. As a neutral and unbiased onlooker of the game played last saturday between Newington and Joeys at Hunters Hill, i didnt see opl do anything special or stand out for that fact, may i remark. As a lover of the game of rugby, i find watching GPS games very enjoyable where there is plenty of unseen talent and the physicality of the game upon which it has grown is just mesmorising.

Anyway back to the point of opl, i plainly believe he was lethargic and personally believe he may have even been a weakness for the Newington side. obviously when it comes time for GPS selections i would put all my life savings on the fact that they will pick 'Piggy' Robertson almost immediately and as a prop i actually haven't seen such a talent in all my years particularly at schoolboy level. as well as being extremely strong and powerful (which should be the norm as a prop) he has shown that he has what it takes to play his part in the set piece, as both an exceptional ball runner and scrummager for that matter, and in my point of view has an extrodinary chance of making it into schoolboys and possibly further along the track of shute shield and superrugby.

ANYWAY, apologies for going off target, i believe again that opl doesnt even deserve to be in any such GPS selected team. as i said he was lethargic, and for someone who played in the backrow last year and in 2010, he was fairly dominated in the scrum as any prop convert would be (particularly at 1st XV level), and even by a lesser opponent of a second string Joeys player. as well as his lack of skill and power in the scrum, his running of the ball was also in my opinion slow and weak, and for someone of that size he should be bumping off people left right and centre, and in the case of last saturday, he didnt even appear to be going forward! many times i saw his massive frame being pushed and picked up where instead of finding and advancing over the advantage line, found himself going back behind from where he first started. along with his running and scrummaging games, his presence in defence was also unheard of, where there were many times where he unenthusiastically reached out with his arms to tackle, and didnt quite show the commitment wanted as well as desired at 1st XV level. as well as this point, he has been playing in the #1 jumper for the entire season, and i dont see how and where they could put him in the #3 jersey, he is already too inexperienced in the #1 jersey. and as it has it, particularly joeys entire front row (not leaving out Ben Carolan) has been performing fantastically this season, and in my opinion have dominated every opponent they have come against, particualrly shown in the game against Riverview, where their set piece, running and defensive games were impressive the say the least.

my final point made, i strongly stand by my judgement that opl doesnt deserve to be in any GPS team for that matter, and as it has, if he wasnt as big as he was, i believe you wouldn't even find him in the team sheet for Newington's 1st and 2nd string teams. points aside, i believe there is another recipient for the the number 3 jersey, which appears to be lacking in skill and depth. Matt Sandell, a 1st XV player of Joeys last season, has unfortunately been out lately with injury and as i have heard he will be OK to play the kings game in two weeks time - which indeed will be interesting. playing for the U16's NSW side and captaining it, he has always been a standout player where he has shown much controlled aggression on the pitch - and as has it - is also a particularly talented scrummager, where his big tall frame has come into play against shorter props. along with this his running game is good, where again his aggression stands out, and his defence is also particularly good. so if there is anyone who does deserve to be in the #3 jumper, the man who stands out in my opinion is Sandell, and it will indeed be interesting to see him against kings in the next game, and the GPS selectors decision.

GPS 1st XV prediction
1. Tomas Robertson (J)
2. David Vea (N)/Ben Carolan (J)
3. Matt Sandell (J)
4. Harry Rorke (I)
5. Declan O'Donahue (J)
6. Jack Dempsey (I)
7. Tom Murphy (J)/James Goldie (J)/Harry Randall (K)/Xavier May (R)
8. Mitch Whitely (I)
9. Pulver (E)/ Pat Curtin (J)
10. Horwitz (S)
11. Holmes (S)/ Foketi (K)
12. Jim Stewart (S)/ Tepai Moeroa (N)/ Josh Kay (J)
13. Sam Barclay (J)/ Taane Milne (N)/ Foketi (K)
14. Wilde (J)/ Jones (K)/ Redden (I)
15. Kellaway (S)/

Waratard

Stan Wickham (3)
How bout we stop with the joke team predictions Riverview Glory? I wonder if the reason the selectors make dud decisions here and there (barclay over Roods last year) is because they look at these forums and see these lists. But if any selectors do read these forums a few pointers should be made about this years teams

1) OPL is in fact over rated , or just in bad form to start the season
2) Dempsey (view) is no doubt the best pure 6 running around, others like goldie, randle, murphy are all pure 7's and fetchers of the ball. The fact joeys have 2 of these shows why they are being successful to start the year. Dempsey combination of ball running and back row play are unique to this years competition.
3) Jones (Kings) and Foketi (Kings) have deserved spots on the wings for GPS 1sts
4) I believe the only positions in GPS 1sts that are in high competition are 2, 5, 7, 9 and 13

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
1. Robertson (J)
2. Vea (N)
3. Sandell (J)/ Prior-Lees (N)
4. Rorke (I)
5. Cannell (N)
6. Morris (N)
7. Randle (K)
8. Whiteley (I)
9. Pulver (E)
10. Horowitz (S)