• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Lee some very good observations, I was wondering based on your posts and other posts re the Coaches Selectors game plans and input into the sides, that I see little mention of anyone from lesser teams ie Grammer and High, also following on from a previous post I made was wondering the input that the ARU via the NGS or JGS have if any on the selections. My understanding is that there are no Joeys boys in these squads, but are there any boys in these squads that may be inline for GPS selection, based on any of the games you have seen or heard?

This is the Sydney JGS list. As you can see there are a number of senior Joeys boys named in it. I haven't seen an NGS list but understood from a post late last year that Joeys hierarchy wouldn't allow Joeys players to participate in it as it involved up to 3 afternoon training sessions per week during the Summer. They allowed the boys to participate in the JGS as it only involved sessions on a Sunday morning.

http://www.rugby.com.au/tryrugby/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1760/ArticleID/4824/Default.aspx

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Interesting post about the league players Newbie, as was your earlier one about Milne. Really excellent.

I saw Milne last year in the Opens trials playing out of Randwick BHS for CHS and I thought he was a shot for the state Twos team. It was only later when I saw him play in the Oz U/16 tournament that I realised how young he was.

He played well in that tournament: not superior to his direct opponent from Queensland 12. Jack Tuttle, who was a marvel, but very good. Milne played with Moeroa in the midfield then, and now they are together in the Newington team.

The state selectors will know who they are; so I don't think they will be disadvantaged by being picked in the GPS Twos. It suffices to say that NSW is going to have some fine centres available to pick from, and hopefully they look at them with fresh eyes. Also they will probably have to shoe-horn Foketi into a team on the wing.

This takes no account of lads from the other associations, but I didn't see anybody at Cranbrook last week in the CAS v CHS games who looked superior to Stewart, Barclay, Milne and Moeroa - though that is based on just one game playing with strangers.

But talk is cheap: I haven't seen Foketi this year - nor any of the lads from associations outside of GPS, CAS or CHS.

G

G-78-XV-V

This weeks matches, Shore vs New - New by 12
Scots vs View - Scots by 5
Gram vs High - Gram by 20
Joeys vs Kings - Kings by 7
I'll be at Hunters Hill anticipating some good match-ups, Randell and Mccalman vs Murphy etc, Foketi vs Barclay, Jones and Tourish vs Wylde and co.
any others to look out for at the other games.

I

International Badboy

Does anyone know where Foketi was before he was at Kings? did he play NSW u16s or anything?

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Expecting another wet weekend of footy, here are my tips.
Views forwards to hit form again and beat Scots 15-7
Shore to go close against Newington with there forwards to step up, still Newington 24-17
Joeys and Kings probably the game of the round in wet weather, Joeys will be too strong around the ruck though, Joeys 14-5

T

Tight head Lion

Scots to beat View. Backline best in gps with Holmes a real bolter for gps side

New to beat shore. Got lucky against TSC in the wet. New forwards better

Kings to outclass joeys who are punching well above their weight.

Bill McLean (32)
... ... ... ... ... ... ... Also they will probably have to shoe-horn Foketi into a team on the wing ... ... ... ... ... ... But talk is cheap: I haven't seen Foketi this year - nor any of the lads from associations outside of GPS, CAS or CHS.

Lee,

A few weeks ago I made it a point to attend the New v Kings trial as I was emphatically looking forward to seeing the match up between Foketi and Milne (and Moeroa). I had questions I wanted answered!

Ultimately most will say the New pairing outplayed the Kings lads on that day, however with the glutton of possession New had that did not surprise me! If your given enough chances the odds are that your eventually going to convert one; and this is exactly what happend with Moeroa and Milne!

Unfortunately for Foketi his forwards could not deliver him enough quality ball and he was given very few good opportunities. Nevertheless, with what limited ball he did receive that day Foketi looked sharp, elusive and dangerous.

You're right Lee they're going to have to squeeze Foketi in somewhere!

Bill McLean (32)
Does anyone know where Foketi was before he was at Kings? did he play NSW u16s or anything?

He had a blinder at the U/16 national championship in 2010 for the SJRU team, who incidentally were victorious that year!

Then in 2011 he was suddenly at Kings with another lad called Corey Tulloch, who also ironically, had a blinder at the NSW schools trials with the NSWCCC team in the same year! Lol

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
He had a blinder at the U/16 national championship in 2010 for the SJRU team, who incidentally were victorious that year!

Then in 2011 he was suddenly at Kings with another lad called Corey Tulloch, who also ironically, had a blinder at the NSW schools trials with the NSWCCC team in the same year! Lol

Tulloch played for NSW Country at the U/16's Nationals - what's this NSWCCC biz?

Bill McLean (32)
Tulloch played for NSW Country at the U/16's Nationals - what's this NSWCCC biz?

Wreckless,

Perhaps you need to read my post more carefully! I did say "for NSWCCC at the NSW schools trials".

I made no reference to Tulloch in the context of the U/16 Nationals. That was solely reserved for Foketi.

FootyForever

Stan Wickham (3)
This weeks matches, Shore vs New - New by 12
Scots vs View - Scots by 5
Gram vs High - Gram by 20
Joeys vs Kings - Kings by 7
I'll be at Hunters Hill anticipating some good match-ups, Randell and Mccalman vs Murphy etc, Foketi vs Barclay, Jones and Tourish vs Wylde and co.
any others to look out for at the other games.

Personally this is what I believe the results will be:

Shore vs New - New by 5, it will be closer than people expect, Shore will put up a good fight.
Scots vs View - View by 10, if the weather continues to pour, the view forward pack will dominate as long as key players perform.
Joeys vs Kings - Kings by 3, it will be a grueling match, most likely decided on a penalty in my opinion.

All in all, pretty close match ups all round due to the weather and the high caliber of almost all teams in the competition this year.

G

G-78-XV-V

And I'm sure those same scouts would have been "on the job"at last weekends champs!!

R

rugby union

Shore has had good performances in the past few weeks and could cause an upset against a favoured New side. Shore with a near full strength forward pack will have to take it to New to have any chance of a win. Shores backline will be put under alot of pressure from a good centre combination and will need to be at their best. Shore by 7

SealClubber77

Stan Wickham (3)
Shore has had good performances in the past few weeks and could cause an upset against a favoured New side. Shore with a near full strength forward pack will have to take it to New to have any chance of a win. Shores backline will be put under alot of pressure from a good centre combination and will need to be at their best. Shore by 7

Could happen but I suspect the Newington centre combination will tear the Shore backline to pieces. However, an upset is possible.

SealClubber77

Stan Wickham (3)
Personally this is what I believe the results will be:

Shore vs New - New by 5, it will be closer than people expect, Shore will put up a good fight.
Scots vs View - View by 10, if the weather continues to pour, the view forward pack will dominate as long as key players perform.
Joeys vs Kings - Kings by 3, it will be a grueling match, most likely decided on a penalty in my opinion.

All in all, pretty close match ups all round due to the weather and the high caliber of almost all teams in the competition this year.

Newington over Shore seems a sound bet yet an upset is possible with the weather.
Scots vs View will be interesting as it will feature arguably the best backline (Scots) vs the best backrow (View). Weather could decide the outcome and i would expect the view backs to struggle.
Would be good to see Joeys steal a victory from kings in the dying seconds of the match for the third time, after 2010's 21-20 and 2011's 19-19. However these were in comp games after losing the trials against Kings.

J

Joshua B Cummings

Ps elcapitano has unfortunately left us, he has passed on his best wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.