• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Shore's Lineup this Weekend:
1. Davo Mccathie
2. Jackson Fitzpatrick (c)
3. Doug Street
4. James Rickard
5. Patrick Fishburn
6. Jum Woodhill
7. Angus Cooke
8. Calum Buckling
9. Angus Pulver
10. Jack Clancy
11. Charlie Oldham
12. George Koukoullis
13. Robert Arnold
14. Matt Buchanan-Reeks
15. Steane Davies

This week sees the return of Angus Cooke and Angus Pulver to the side, whilst Nick Fletcher, Nick Clancy and Jack Robertson all remain injured. Should be a close game, with Shore coming off a good performance against Joeys (was a lot closer than the scoreboard suggested), a win over Scots, and several other strong performances. As someone mentioned, they were leading 25 - 10 at halftime against Kings in the first trial, so a win is very doable for the boys in dark blue. A win for either side would give them much needed confidence going into the rest of the competition, so should be a very close and interesting game. Also, an interesting point is that this will see the match up of Pulver and Ferris, the two Australian Schools halfbacks, so that shall be very interesting to watch indeed.

In other games, Newington to dominate Grammar and Joeys to win by 3 against Riverview in my opinion.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Newington 52- grammar 0
Newington were dominant in every facet of the game despite having a real problem holding the ball in the backs. The fullback is impressive - good acceleration and quite elusive.
Lussick seems to be able to draw or fade his kicks at goal. Some New parents suggested that New werent trying but I doubt that.
grammar were gritty but they need to learn that missing first up tackles is not a great tactic. We dont need to discuss the second and third tackle misses.
The real problem to emerge form the game concerns the under 19 scrummaging laws. One grammar front rower was injured in a collapsing scrum that was pushed 3 or 4m by Newington - without sanction.
Nearly all of the scrums were moved more than 1.5m by Newington with the only sanction being offered a warning.
On the off chance that the young, otherwise good, ref follows the forum: this needs to be policed almost more than any other law in the game at this level - you do not want a broken neck on your CV. It is utterly irrelevant that New had the dominant scrum - it is irrelevant because the u19 laws say so.
The subtle charm of these u19 laws is that they de-power the scrum for all purposes because each pack has to recognise that they are not permitted to move the scrum more than 1.5m which is extremely hard to judge thereby leading to them not taking the chance of moving it more than 1.5m. There is simply no doubt that that at the time of collapse and injury the scrum had moved through more than 1.5m.
In other news:
  • Lachlan Fear has some short term coaching deal at Grammar;
  • there is talk of grammar pulling the pin on the GPS competition: if so the arms race will have destroyed the system.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Wow that is a surprise; so much for my tip that Kings would get the bikkies this year.

It was a good performance today from Joeys - they were too strong over the ball and were better as a team. However, Whiteley, for View, was outstanding, and looked like a swan amongst the ducks.

View played best when the game was lost but they didn't fire a lot of shots in the rest of the game.

More later.

H

HarveyColon

I also happened to be at the grammar vs Newington game. Why in god's name is there talk of grammar pulling the pin: no one was seriously injured which against newington is an achievement in itself. Only injuries to report were to hooker luke sullivan who went down in the second half and winger Joseph Kang who sprained his ankle with two minutes to go.

I take my hat off to everyone in that grammar team that went out there today and despite the talk of scores hitting triple figures and the score in the second half blowing out like a bloated anus, grammar went into half time down 26-0. the score in the second half was the same. Not to mention, Grammar played with only 14 men for 10 minutes as white lightning Rhett Coleman was ejected from the thoroughfare for a late shot on Joey Lussick who went down like a sack of potatoes only to get up ten seconds later miraculously uninjured after the penalty was called. Grammar were unlucky not to score as they neared the precipice of the tryline on several occasions. I liked what I saw from no. 10 Karl pratley who caught several high balls under pressure. He was also instrumental in the smart brand of football the backs played, chipping the ball on numerous occasions rather than taking on the backline of tepai and taane which I hate to say often ended in turnovers. Full credit must also be extended to the brave inside center hallam Potts who played well above his size stopping tepai in his tracks and even dislodging the ball from him on one or perhaps two instances. Halfback Will lee controlled the ball well around the ruck and made crucial tackles on newington breakaways off the side of a very uneven scrum. Captain Daniel Gautschi saved a try dispossesing Taane of the ball when he looked well on the way to scoring in the northeastern corner. In the forwards, Angus Bishop had a good game along with a very eager kieran healy and Anthony Penklis. the second rowers of Gorry and Subau did their best aginst the strong newington pack and it showed, resulting in an impressive turnover near the end of the first half. the notable absence of points hangs over everyone like a stale fart but in my opinion the effort the sydneyans put in could have resulted in points had Newington decided to be smaller.

To Newington: Oscar Pryor Lees is very ineffective for someone wearing a green and gold jersey. I liked his red headgear though. I was impressed with his colour co ordination.
- Tepai didn't dominate as I thought and often mixed up his line with taane. they collided twice in possesion.
- scorers from what i can remember as i didn't have the assistance of the proverbial pen and paper were: Tepai 2, OPL, taane, matt hood the back rowers may have had a few and possibly oscar pople.
If newington are touted as premiership contenders they will need to play better than they did today. I can't say they were terrible(look at the score) but they seemed mixed up in attack and were out paced at times through the center though most certainly not overpowered by any means.

Well done grammar for an arousing game which was an improvement on the bigger scoreline of last year.

M

Michelle

Great game it was harvey....... to other news, the grammar 2's beat knox 19-12 and the 16's beat newington's 16 a's 22-0. very impressive.

I must confess I heard some funny sledging in the game, punctuated by one of the newington front rowers whether it was david vea or willie ahosivi calling grammars prop anthony penklis "tubby". that is the richest comment I have ever heard. Full credit to them for stringing a two syllable word together though. A gutsy game from grammar.

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
Great game it was harvey... to other news, the grammar 2's beat knox 19-12 and the 16's beat newington's 16 a's 22-0. very impressive.
----

All New's A teams were playing at Armidale - so it the lower teams that against Grammar except the New 1st XV.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I also happened to be at the grammar vs Newington game. Why in god's name is there talk of grammar pulling the pin: no one was seriously injured which against newington is an achievement in itself. Only injuries to report were to hooker luke sullivan who went down in the second half and winger Joseph Kang who sprained his ankle with two minutes to go.

The scrum in which the hooker was injured was extremely ugly: i note you dont dispute my view that it went more than 1.5m. In fact Newington were still pushing, having travelled the 3 or 4m I estimated, as it disintegrated: in my view this is completely unacceptable.
If the school cannot have confidence in the officials to enforce the laws - all of them - then they cannot let the kids play in a situation in which they are at real risk of serious injury: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/HCA/1982/40.html
It was a shoulder by the look of it - its not a days march from the shoulder to the neck so I am not sure how much comfort, at this level, can be taken from the fact that it was not a "serious" injury.
These laws were introduced to reduce the risk of serious injury: surely we dont have to have one in order for them to be fully enforced? If the ref had taken matters in hand early the Grammar hooker would never have been injured because New would have wanted to avoid a penalty from pushing more than 1.5m.
In terms of the pulling the pin talk i would suggest that Newington may be the weakest side SGS play. Fro my point of view if the U19 laws are not going to be enforced i dont see that the school has a choice.
It is, after all, only a game.
There is no questioning the ticker of the Grammar boys but they may not be the best judges of what is in their long term interests.

Waratard

Stan Wickham (3)
29-17 to Joeys, they were the smarter and better team today which made the difference. They put 3 guys on Dempsey every time he touched the ball which shutdown alot of Views go forward. Joeys dominated in the scrum which forced Whiteley to run it off the back many times, often isolated. View could of won if they played the full 70 mins like they played the last 15. All credit to Joeys who knew where Views strengths were and executed their gameplan

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
The scrum in which the hooker was injured was extremely ugly: i note you dont dispute my view that it went more than 1.5m. In fact Newington were still pushing, having travelled the 3 or 4m I estimated, as it disintegrated: in my view this is completely unacceptable.
---------

The ref should should make the call if it went over more than 1.5m then the pushing should stop otherwise penalty will apply. If not they will keep pushing competing for the tighthead. Other option to take was to call the uncontested scrum early after a few scrums.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Joeys 29-17 over View. A very dominant performance from the home side, there marking of Dempsey effectively put him out of the game. Controlled the scrums and Ollie Bartlett was great at the line outs. Riverview were good when they got ball out wide and did improve in the last 15 minutes. Whitely was a star in a losing side and showed why he's an Australian Schoolboy. Josh Kay kicked 6 penalty goals. For View, i think they were just unlucky to come up against a very smart Joeys side and can defiantly get a big win if a team can't shut down there big 3. For Joeys there big game will come against Newington in round 3 and will hope that Kings can get a win up next weekend.

Stand outs
Joeys - 4,7,8,12,14
View - 8

E

elcapitano

Joeys vs view today was a contest however the inclusion of pay and the return of schwager proved to be strong moves, schwager makes this joeys pack look increasingly intimidating. Joeys will be hard to stop if the line up remains the same. Does the lose today crush views hopes of a repeat? i would think so

W

Wowsah

Great result.. Any report and were teams at full strength? Team lists?

Not sure about Kings however Shore was missing 3 players, Robertson, Clancy and Fletcher. Great effort from Shore, they played well. Kings lineout was very ordinary, something for them to look at you would think. Too much ball turned over at shores end of the ground with very clumsy lineout play. You'd have to rejig your expectations for the season based on this match. Shore look to be in this to win it.

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
I must confess I heard some funny sledging in the game, punctuated by one of the newington front rowers whether it was david vea or willie ahosivi calling grammars prop anthony penklis "tubby". that is the richest comment I have ever heard. Full credit to them for stringing a two syllable word together though. A gutsy game from grammar.

You should laugh if it's a funny sledging. My apologies on behalf of whoever say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.