• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kbw

I suspect the New 2014 1st XV will look very different from the New 201216As. If for no other reason than excellent coaching and the inclusion of players from the schools 14s and 15s age group.

You would hope so. There are kids in the U16s, not in the "A"s that have more potential than the current set of 16 A players. They just haven't been developed and still haven't thickened out.
But I have to say that a lot of the lack of result for Newington 16s comes down to 2 points. The lack of focus by the school on that cohort, quite poor really but they have decent coaches this year, and secondly the focus of the boys themselves. I have seen them train on more than one occassion and frankly they just are not focused enough and don't give their all at training. The only way they will improve is to pull their fingers out and start training like they mean it.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
You would hope so. There are kids in the U16s, not in the "A"s that have more potential than the current set of 16 A players. They just haven't been developed and still haven't thickened out.
But I have to say that a lot of the lack of result for Newington 16s comes down to 2 points. The lack of focus by the school on that cohort, quite poor really but they have decent coaches this year, and secondly the focus of the boys themselves. I have seen them train on more than one occassion and frankly they just are not focused enough and don't give their all at training. The only way they will improve is to pull their fingers out and start training like they mean it.
'kbw' not to put a spin on things, but you do need to consider that obviously the effort, talent and coaches is clearly being put onto the Newington 1st XV. Not for a while or ever have Newington had the chance to perhaps win 1 or mor premierships in a short amount of time.

I think the ultimate goal of doing this and concentrating their amount of everything into the 1st XV is to try and create a better rugby culture at Newington and try get younger players in year 7, then having to bring them in later years.

Give the New 16s fellas a break, they train and play like any other rugby team regardless of talent or coaches, they represent the school the best way they can.

K

kbw

GPSRow, there is definitely a concerted effort for the 1st XV and realistically looking at next year the 150th anniversary of the school.
I won't question their commitment to get out there and play, but I highly doubt that most of the other 16A and 16B (especially) GPS teams train as poorly as Newington.
Take for example the drills they run in the As and Bs, good drills and the instruction is there, but they rarely get out of second gear while doing it. Not really good enough in my books.

The boys all the way from the As to Ds do bring out some good football and they all love playing for the school, but at this age if you want to compete in the GPS competition you have to take it a bit more seriously

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
In shore's current 1sts, only 1 player didn't start in year 7 (5) Fisburn and 3 were in the prep school (1) McCathie, (8) Buckling and (9) Pulver.

Kings firsts this year have also had 3 from their Prep... Tourish (15), Bateman (1) or (3) and Jin (3).

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
yes, yes i do see your point and i think Newington should try as put effort into keeping their 16s well ready for next year's GPS competition, even getting extra weight or fitness sessions may help.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Scots & Shore - Any news for this weekend? Who's in/out.

For Shore, Nick Clancy has returned to fullback, and subsequently Steane Davies has shifted back to inside centre. Apart from that, its the same side that faced Kings / Grammar.

In the 2nds, however, Jack Robertson is coming back for his first game since doing his ankle in the trial against Newington. If all goes well he may find himself back into the 1sts.

G

G-78-XV-V

Games this weekend, mmmmmmmmm if Shore has learnt anything from Scot's win over Iggies, it is to throw it wide all day, and get the smaller pack to follow. So, Shore at home by a small margin, (16-12)
Match of the day, Scots will continue and build on their win last week and knock over New at Bellevue Hill. (22-12). This will leave an interesting round 5 with Scots and Shore (8points each) to meet and New with the BYE, but that's for next week.
King's over Grammar.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Predictions for this week
Scots vs Newington - Scots have the upper hand in the backs while Newington should dominate at the breakdown. Scots have lifted over the last two weeks and if they keep it up they are a good chance of getting up. Dont think theyll be able to, Newington look the far better side. Newington 24-11
Shore vs Riverview - another massive game, a rivalry game so both teams should really lift. With both the Clancys back and with there season on the line i think Shore will be too good. Tough for View to find something to play for. Shore 17-12
Kings vs Grammar - Kings to really fire this weekend, think theyll give grammar there heaviest defeat this year. Kings 60-0

H

HarveyColon

Bad news from the grammar camp, the two centers are out injured along with the no.8 who busts his balls week in week out at the breakdown but has some injury that is proving quite testy for him.

E

elcapitano

i have a bad feeling about the g.p.s comp and its direction in the next twenty or so years, an arms race is about to develop in terms of talent that has been unforseen, quite obviously it has been realised that "normal" schoolboys can't win the comp. Hence schools such as kings and joeys will want to return to the glory days and realize that the only way of doing so is to acquire talen through exterior means. The competition is slowly drifiting away from the amatuer setting in to a more american college type setting(semi pro)

W

Wowsah

For Shore, Nick Clancy has returned to fullback, and subsequently Steane Davies has shifted back to inside centre. Apart from that, its the same side that faced Kings / Grammar.

Thats very good news for Shore that he has returned, hes a pretty talented youngster. I have a particular interest in shore this year as they are my guts pick to win the comp. Usually I don't post AND support Scots! However, I like the tenacity of the smaller shore side.

On another note, I read in the ref 94's report shores prop Robinson was returning, is that the last of the injured to yet return, if so, when is that player returning?

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Thats very good news for Shore that he has returned, hes a pretty talented youngster. I have a particular interest in shore this year as they are my guts pick to win the comp. Usually I don't post AND support Scots! However, I like the tenacity of the smaller shore side.

On another note, I read in the ref 94's report shores prop Robinson was returning, is that the last of the injured to yet return, if so, when is that player returning?

I had to edit that back into my post above as I forgot to originally include it, but he's returning this week in the 2nds as he eases back into contact.

John Dale

Frank Nicholson (4)
Predictions for round 4:
Scots vs Newington
The main event. The two teams that have proven themselves as the best. I think Scots will have the upper hand in the backs, however Newingtons power in the forwards will prove to be too much. Providing that the one on one tackles are made on Kellaway I think New will get the job done. Horwitz with a point too prove after being left behind by the schoolboys selectors.
New by 1.
Shore vs Riverview
An extremely close encounter. As we know Riverview have not been up to par or lived up to anyones expectations this season, however such improvement was shown from the Joeys game to the Scots game, I think they will continue to improve and run over Shore, providing they can put their full side on the field. Still waiting from my source to see what is happening there. What I think to be a reality check for Shore.
View 14+.
Kings vs Grammar
If what we hear about Grammars injury problems are true, then good luck too them. Lalaki to bag a hatrick.
Kings 50+
Joeys
A much needed bye.

G

G-78-XV-V

No - Wilkin - though my choice would have been Jack Tuttle.

PS - anybody going to the Kings v Grammar game?
Ill be going along early for a long day, and I know that a couple of other regular contributors will also be there.
I'll try to catch the 15a's, 16a's, and as far as I know both TAS and High will be playing the leadup games to the firsts.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I've deleted quite a few threads on when students started at each school over the last few days, this thread is for discussing the actual rugby being played today.

If you want to talk about imports, please do so in the imports thread.

H

HarveyColon

I will also be in attendance of the kings vs grammar game. If jones doesn't play, does that mean the behemoth jack tourish will play?

Also looking forward to the south african exchange student from johannesburg for grammar, the new no.8 Hari Gillembosch replacing the injured angus bishop.

I won't say itwill be a close encounter.....because it won't. Kings to win 56-7. I am predicting an intercept try as well....i just have a hunch it will happen.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It was never explained how Tourish managed to get a gig for NT in the Aust Schoolboys championships.

Either that or I may have missed the explanation how he qualified, or it may be that there was another unrelated Tourish at Fullback for NT. The middle option is probably more likely. Does he have family connections to the NT?

Status
Not open for further replies.