• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wowsah

Many scribes have talked about some schoolboys being jaded because of the rep season but how many are playing outside school and how many do not want to get injured on a Saturday so they can play for their club on a Sunday
What should take priority?

School, only because school could be a total pain in the arse with regard to playing club. Although, I prioritised school anyway as I knew my Schools rugby was naturally limited in time. Each to their own I guess.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Is the consensus that 'View have underperformed relative to potential this year?

I decided to trawl back through this thread to try to answer this question..I think the answer is that they have underperformed relative to EXPECTATIONS, not so much relative to potential. From the commentaries so far it seems they are a solid team that lacks depth and leadership and relies heavily on the presence of their 'big 3' forwards..after the premiership win last year, and with these 3 guys in the team, expectations were that they would perform well and to defeat them would be regarded as a big scalp..it is worth noting that after the defeat by Shore on the weekend, they have now been beaten (including pre-season) by every GPS team except Grammar..in fact their only 2 non-defeats were a pre-season win over Scots and a draw with Shore on the Gold Coast.

That lead me to investigate the other anomaly of this year, that being the erratic performances by Scots, particularly pre-season...it seems that they are also a team lacking some depth, and also heavily reliant on their big 3..it comes as no surprise that when you have a team that has a backline containing 3 of the core of the national team, you are going to cause some grief - provided you have the ball! looking at their pre-season performances, if they were missing one of these 3 then they didn't go so well..

So, onto this weekend, I think Kings will be far too strong for View, they needed the bye 2 weeks ago, not in 2 weeks time. Shore v Scots..Shore have a big home ground advantage for mine, but I want to see if the Scots backline is at full strength before putting it on the line here..can anyone help??

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Scots and their "big 3" is now only Scots and their "big 2" core of the national backline with Horwitz out of favour with the National Selectors.

He has the opportunity to prove the selectors wrong in the next few games, although barring major injury within the touring squad, the gate has probably been shut and locked regarding a recall to the national squad.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Scots and their "big 3" is now only Scots and their "big 2" core of the national backline with Horwitz out of favour with the National Selectors.

He has the opportunity to prove the selectors wrong in the next few games, although barring major injury within the touring squad, the gate has probably been shut and locked regarding a recall to the national squad.

according to a few posts here his de-selection isn't necessary an opinion of the selectors..he did it last year, is school captain and concentrating on the HSC..thats my interpretation of it at least

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
KOB, How dare you let facts and logic get in the way of my story.:)

If he has actually voluntarily deselected himself, then that is a very brave and mature decision from the young lad. It also sends a good message to many of the aspiring professional sportsmen about the importance of, and longer term benefits resulting from, an education.

Isn't that what School is all about, with sport being a thing you do on the side?

ARU and their HPU seem to also have a longer term view regarding the development of the aspiring player through the various gold programmes.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
think you should check that source.not what I hear..very unhappy chappy.

my source was here, I don't have any inside knowledge whatsoever, I was only going off what others have said on this website..I hereby plead guilty to commenting on something I don't know anything about, something I generally try to avoid!! I'll take your word for it scaraby..

THE REF 94

Frank Nicholson (4)
What View's injury news? I saw Rorke and Redden walk off and I noticed that Robertson and C.Freeman were also not playing. Any chance of these players playing against Kings or Newington? Or are they going to end their seasons?

ten four

Stan Wickham (3)
What View's injury news? I saw Rorke and Redden walk off and I noticed that Robertson and C.Freeman were also not playing. Any chance of these players playing against Kings or Newington? Or are they going to end their seasons?
Redden and Rorke should be okay but I think the other two are gone

H

HarveyColon

I really want shore or scots to win. It is highly possible that view will come out in the last round to fly home with a wet sail. And i can confirm redden and rorke will play. Robertson is rated a 47% chance of playing while freeman is out.

John Dale

Frank Nicholson (4)
I really want shore or scots to win. It is highly possible that view will come out in the last round to fly home with a wet sail. And i can confirm redden and rorke will play. Robertson is rated a 47% chance of playing while freeman is out.

From my contact at Riverview I have gathered the following Injury Update
- Rorke is unlikely to get back on the field for Riverview let alone for Australia after suffering an ankle injury.
- Redden was quote 'carried off the field' after the shore match but should be okay from Kings.
- Freeman (Charlie) that is, suffered a horrific broken Jaw in the final trial match against Newington and will not be back on the field for some time.
- Robertson is a 50/50 chance at this stage with a bad shoulder.
- Gerrey-Burgess has an apparent shoulder injury and is in doubt for the remainder of the season.

Added information would be helpful. Looks like it is going to be a tough finish for the view boys, with a lot of seconds players that are going to have to perform in order to prevent Riverview from having one of their worse seasons in a while.

As 3 rounds remain I think it is appropriate that Injury updates are 'updated' as such. I think depth will play apart in these remaining rounds

S

Sydneybra

Only injury in the Newington camp (1sts and 2nds) is Anthony Vasilis with a dislocated thumb

THE REF 94

Frank Nicholson (4)
From my contact at Riverview I have gathered the following Injury Update
- Rorke is unlikely to get back on the field for Riverview let alone for Australia after suffering an ankle injury.
- Redden was quote 'carried off the field' after the shore match but should be okay from Kings.
- Freeman (Charlie) that is, suffered a horrific broken Jaw in the final trial match against Newington and will not be back on the field for some time.
- Robertson is a 50/50 chance at this stage with a bad shoulder.
- Gerrey-Burgess has an apparent shoulder injury and is in doubt for the remainder of the season.

Added information would be helpful. Looks like it is going to be a tough finish for the view boys, with a lot of seconds players that are going to have to perform in order to prevent Riverview from having one of their worse seasons in a while.

As 3 rounds remain I think it is appropriate that Injury updates are 'updated' as such. I think depth will play apart in these remaining rounds

Completely agree...a big reason for Shore's form is that they have been very lucky with injuries. The only player too miss the season is Fletcher, who played some firsts last year. Richard got injured during the Riverview game with either a broken or dislocated shoulder but besides that the team is at full strength, as well as their seconds. I'm sure the result may have been different if View did not have the injury problems that have suffered, a shame. All I can say though is be weary of the wounded beast.

W

Wowsah

Completely agree.a big reason for Shore's form is that they have been very lucky with injuries. The only player too miss the season is Fletcher, who played some firsts last year. Richard got injured during the Riverview game with either a broken or dislocated shoulder but besides that the team is at full strength, as well as their seconds. I'm sure the result may have been different if View did not have the injury problems that have suffered, a shame. All I can say though is be weary of the wounded beast.

Don't forget their lhp, Robertson. Despite what one poster seems to indicate, you'd have to think he is gone too.

THE REF 94

Frank Nicholson (4)
What's the news on Scots as well. Newington are the most physical side in the competition. Surely they dealt some damage to the Scots boys? Guessing that if any of their big 3 were injured though i'd of heard about it by now. Going to be a great atmosphere at this week's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.