• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Possible Shore 1st XV 2013

1. Doug Streeter (1sts - GPS 3rds)
2. Sam Cater (16a's - Sydney 16's)
3. -
4. James Winton (2nds)
5. Paddy Olver (16a's - Sydney 16's)
6. Angus Cooke (1sts)
7. Jum Woodhill (1sts - Sydney 16's)
8. Nate Lucas (2nds) / Harry Hodge (3rds)
9. Harry Emery (2nds - NSW 16's)
10. Jack Clancy (1sts - Sydney 16's
11. Charlie Oldham (1sts)
12. Toby Cooke (16a's) / Nate Lucas (2nds)
13. Charlie King (16a's)
14. Harvey Duncan (3rds) / Will Connelly (16a's)
15. Nick Clancy (1sts - Sydney 16's)

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
I have only just caught up on the new structure for the comp. I don't think that its quite fair for TAS to play in the thirds. I saw a comment earlier that this year's TAS firsts were unusually strong. Even if the TAS firsts this year are weaker, Rugby at TAS is highly professional in terms of coaching and support. There may be a risk that TAS will simply cream the thirds. We will know more when we see the pre-season games, but the new structure makes me uncomfortable.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
I have only just caught up on the new structure for the comp. ....

Is there a link you could post - totally surprised at how quickly the pieces appear to have fallen into place and been agreed.

As to TAS playing IIIs - saw them Vs Newington 2 or 3 years ago - nice even contest. Shame of the fixture was that Newington as home team saw it as a 3rd grade game, while for TAS it was 1sts - the consequence - not much atmoshpere.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
TAS are of the impression that their 2012 year was "unusually strong" and that being in the 3rd XV tournament for 2013 would be a fairer reflection of their sustainable talent. This was their call but personally I would have liked for them to stretch themselves and stay in the 2nds XV comp. History shows that when setting higher goals and playing harder games then your own performance gets better over the long term.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
City v Country
It is totally naive to ascertain the place of origin for large boarding schools such as Kings. If you go through the archives most of the 'country' lads are sons of OBs who were there in the 70s. Some are even 4th generation at Kings. I even hear that Burke (entered in 2012) had a grandfather or such at the school.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
TAS are of the impression that their 2012 year was "unusually strong" and that being in the 3rd XV tournament for 2013 would be a fairer reflection of their sustainable talent. This was their call but personally I would have liked for them to stretch themselves and stay in the 2nds XV comp. History shows that when setting higher goals and playing harder games then your own performance gets better over the long term.

Presumably the "more official" nature of the 2nds comp meant keeping either Grammar or TAS in that comp would have been less attractive.
I didn't see much/any of the 2nds this year: could Grammar 1's have competed in 2's this year?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
City v Country
It is totally naive to ascertain the place of origin for large boarding schools such as Kings. If you go through the archives most of the 'country' lads are sons of OBs who were there in the 70s. Some are even 4th generation at Kings. I even hear that Burke (entered in 2012) had a grandfather or such at the school.
I was going to say: "you may as well have a game between sons/grandsons of OB's and not".

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Possible Shore 1st XV 2013

1. Doug Streeter (1sts - GPS 3rds)
2. Sam Cater (16a's - Sydney 16's)
3. -
4. James Winton (2nds)
5. Paddy Olver (16a's - Sydney 16's)
6. Angus Cooke (1sts)
7. Jum Woodhill (1sts - Sydney 16's)
8. Nate Lucas (2nds) / Harry Hodge (3rds)
9. Harry Emery (2nds - NSW 16's)
10. Jack Clancy (1sts - Sydney 16's
11. Charlie Oldham (1sts)
12. Toby Cooke (16a's) / Nate Lucas (2nds)
13. Charlie King (16a's)
14. Harvey Duncan (3rds) / Will Connelly (16a's)
15. Nick Clancy (1sts - Sydney 16's)

Looks to me that this team has no depth or 1st XV experience. Accordingly, will be fielding a team of 'walking wounded' each week but living up to Shore's rugby tradition of playing 'above their weight' with great camaraderie.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Presumably the "more official" nature of the 2nds comp meant keeping either Grammar or TAS in that comp would have been less attractive.
I didn't see much/any of the 2nds this year: could Grammar 1's have competed in 2's this year?

This wasn't an issue in their deliberation as I understand the discussion. It was more of the sustainable position year-in year-out.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
This wasn't an issue in their deliberation as I understand the discussion. It was more of the sustainable position year-in year-out.

Grammar also considered the 2nds. Both in terms of your point as well as this years 16As are considered very good. However, both settled for the 3rds to be more competitive over the longer term.

Underlying all this is of the course the sentiment of the Headmasters of SGS, SHS and Shore. These gents have formed a loose alliance through commonality. They are really 'annoyed' about the recruitment of talent by NC, TSC, TKS in particular. But like SJC and SIC have a proud tradition of success and do not want to see a split in the ranks or taking your bat & ball elsewhere.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
2013 Structure

Cannot see any team with only one trial before the comp starts. Firstly, that would be 'negligent' on the schools as to OH&S terms. It takes several games and at least 5 weeks of skills training to condition the body to take the knocks of a game. Secondly, I cannot see the likes of NEW and Kings risking losing their first games by not being properly prepared.

Accordingly, we will get a situation of TSC, NC, TKS start to prepare for rugby season with 'skills and fitness sessions' from the end of cricket and Shore, SIC and SJC start sometime during the Athletics season. This situation occurred a few years ago when Athletics was moved forward.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Looks to me that this team has no depth or 1st XV experience. Accordingly, will be fielding a team of 'walking wounded' each week but living up to Shore's rugby tradition of playing 'above their weight' with great camaraderie.

This team will get touched up big time in first half of the season with some 'heartening results' but mostly all losses. Then after the school holiday break which will allow them to recover somewhat will then win some of the games that they lost in the first round.

This will be compounded when the Clancy boys play higher rep honors and the 'reserves' will be found wanting Big Time. Shore is like the Wallabies...good skill in top XV but chronically lacking in depth!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I think you are selling these boys short. 6 of the boys are veterens of 2012 1st XV with another 3 from 2012 2nd XV. 6/15 returning 1st XV is a team that has plenty of 1st XV experience.

Shore surprised some with their performance this year, and while young and probably not ready until 2014, the younger 1st XV lads will be better for the 2012 experience.

Many of these will be doing NGS and JGP over the summer, and the odd one or two may even turn out for Club. I reckon they will be as ready as most come 2013. Cater, Olver and Cooke coming up from 2012 16A's are no mugs and will do the guernsey proud.

This team will get touched up big time in first half of the season with some 'heartening results' but mostly all losses. Then after the school holiday break which will allow them to recover somewhat will then win some of the games that they lost in the first round.

This will be compounded when the Clancy boys play higher rep honors and the 'reserves' will be found wanting Big Time. Shore is like the Wallabies.good skill in top XV but chronically lacking in depth!

Not sure that things will be that gloomy at Shore. See previous comments re JGP/NGS to assist preparation for 2013. I haven't seem the lists yet, but I would imagine that Shore will be well represented.

Your basic point (I think) is that two rounds will certainly test rugby programmes and depth. The competition will not be won by a team that flukes a couple of lucky wins, or has a "friendly" draw as has occurred in the past.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
City v Country
It is totally naive to ascertain the place of origin for large boarding schools such as Kings.

Can't quite comprehend the context of this comment? If you follow the posts relating to a player's City or Country origin they were doing nothing more than highlighting the very large contribution that boys from the bush have made and continue to make to GPS rugby.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
TKS old boy Greg Mumm, the former Waratah's Assistant coach and Sydney Uni coach has joined the teaching staff at Kings. Given his rugby credentials one assumes that he'll be involved with coaching at some level as well.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think that it would be a fairly safe bet to assume that his rugby creditials played a significant role in his employment.

He holds a BA and Masters in Education from Sydney Uni so he is more than qualified on his teaching credentials alone. But what a bonus in terms of his rugby coaching credentials!!

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Jimmy Hilgendorf, another old boy, has also joined the King's teaching staff. He too holds teaching qualifications from USyd and can be expected to play some role in coaching rugby at the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.