• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starting Lineup

Stan Wickham (3)
Honestly, if you think that him playing Harold Matthews rugby league is enough to make him a good opens rugby player, think again. Considering Joey's played Deegan up (and rightfully so) when he was in 16s, I would trust their judgement of when a young talent is ready for opens. A lot of boys in the GPS have played Harold Matts, and not all of them have been very successful for their school.
I agree in part of your comment But it also depends on the Individual Player and what position he plays. If he is in the Backs, especially on the Wing and has what it takes. Give him a go ! I know Dylan well and his parents, lovely kid and has a lot of Natural Ability.

The Taxi Driver

Allen Oxlade (6)
watched joeys internal trials last weekend. dylan grant tore the As and Bs trial apart. so strong, evasive and unbelievably quick. he plays manly harold matts. several watching on wondered why he isnt in opens. in another class to the other kids. one to watch.
apparently he had a bad hamstring injury last year which he played with. i didn't see him play then but he toyed with them on the weekend if that is the best joeys 16's either they can't tackle or he was unplayable.

Wrong thread but for what its worth. At least 6 key boys out doing Athletics in 16s. Reassess on 18 May! DG needs to reboot his attitude from what I have heard and do it for the team not himself. Hard lesson when you are 15/16 and have some talent. There are plenty of boys who will take your place even if they are slower. So he might make 16As and definitely no to Opens.

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agree with attitude (if that is a problem) but whoever is coaching I hope they don't restrict his flair he was running the ball back from his line and making 60-70 metres, chipping for himself and regathering and throwing great passes. Fine to have team players but I for one will pay money to see the beales, coopers, o'connors of the world mistakes and all than safety first dullards at least I go home entertained and thrilled. Anyway I will be interested to see how he progresses joeys should have a handy 16a side which augurs well for future years.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
The future in this age group is going to be very interesting in a couple fo years..Joeys ( this years 16's) have been pretty dominant, but i think there are around 6 year 11 boys in the side..so may lose some talent in year 12..Scots have up skilled their squad i think..1 forward and a back ( NSW 15's) but will lose Porter, and Riverview beat all comers in the 15's except Joeys..so should be a very open contest in 2015..Kings performed well against Joeys but got belted by Riverview..and Shore probably off the pace...but a good pack..Newington will also look better with Kennywell there, and Sepesa most likely spending some time in the opens this year..

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
16's is a great comp, it's where the boys really start showing their rugby skills, (probably deserves it's own thread, GPS U16) It's a shame the schools are not compelled to keep their U16's together, and not promote their best to opens, also give them their own trophy and point score.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
.Scots have up skilled their squad i think..1 forward and a back ( NSW 15's) but will lose Porter,

Two new backs from last Year's u/15 NSW unless one of them is heading straight to opens

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
silence gentlemen. This is a rugby forum, not an english one. Those who get off on grammar, go away, you are not need. Those who get off on rugby, please add your knowledge.
Would you be allowed to walk around with your shirt untucked at your school? Maybe. But I think not if you generated from within one of the schools in this forum.
It is the whole package here Sir, not just the ability to belt or be belted that makes the man. Look at the list that George Smith put up a while ago in regards to the players. Jack Watts, Callum Buckling et al with their respective marks in the HSC. That is why grammar has its place. Listen to the post match interview from Nicky Lah from Norths last week and you will see what I mean vs ANY NRL player from the last, say 100 years?
And this Sir, is how we add knowledge to our fine young men and women

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
16's is a great comp, it's where the boys really start showing their rugby skills, (probably deserves it's own thread, GPS U16) It's a shame the schools are not compelled to keep their U16's together, and not promote their best to opens, also give them their own trophy and point score.
Why?

The GPS Rower

Herbert Moran (7)

Good response bro, its been stated why, and i agree. Pushing up better players like Newington, Scots, Kings and Riverview (as i know) do; ruins the 16s comp. This comp shows the talent of the younger grades and can predict the future of the schools rugby results in the higher grades.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Good response bro, its been stated why, and i agree. Pushing up better players like Newington, Scots, Kings and Riverview (as i know) do; ruins the 16s comp. This comp shows the talent of the younger grades and can predict the future of the schools rugby results in the higher grades.

this is exactly right GPS rower. Newington will unfortunately have to rely on such players as kennewell, piroddi and sapesa from the u16s this year to support the lack of talent and depth in the u17s group playing in the Opens for New.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
this is exactly right GPS rower. Newington will unfortunately have to rely on such players as kennewell, piroddi and sapesa from the u16s this year to support the lack of talent and depth in the u17s group playing in the Opens for New.
The other argument to these boys moving up from 16's to opens was best demonstrated by View 16's last year..when they lost 5 -6 super stars to the opens, they really struggled early on., smashed by TKS in the trial..but the team found a way to improve without those players, and eventually beat Kings in the last game..The players who were left there had to learn how to win..lesser players got the chance to stand up and be counted..be one of the senior players, and are ultimately better players as a result..and I think if we are finding ways to improve and give opportunities to all the players not just the elite..that's a good thing..yes?

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
The other argument to these boys moving up from 16's to opens was best demonstrated by View 16's last year..when they lost 5 -6 super stars to the opens, they really struggled early on., smashed by TKS in the trial..but the team found a way to improve without those players, and eventually beat Kings in the last game..The players who were left there had to learn how to win..lesser players got the chance to stand up and be counted..be one of the senior players, and are ultimately better players as a result..and I think if we are finding ways to improve and give opportunities to all the players not just the elite..that's a good thing..yes?
Its a good sentiment and one that works very well for Scots in the U15s. With the split year alot of fringe players get a chance to show the coaches that they can combine with the establishes "stars" hence the reason Scots u16s have been good over the years. This side will be no different although should be noted that Guy Porter and Jack Maddocks played 16s last year with their year group by choice so they won't be missed but would be very welcome. Girdler I think is playing opens so he will be missed.

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
Nah. Standouts in U16s just become go to men and the others don't learn. Let them play up if they want. Let them have 3 years in opens if they're a back. They might be slower but rugby isn't running. That's why athletics is irrelevant.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If you're good enough you're old enough and you should grab everything the minute you can reach it, irrespective of what it does to 16's, because once you're too old for the game they play in heaven all you have is could have dones and might have beens

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Upskilling? Is that a PC term for blatantly recruiting talented players and offering heavily discounted fees (aka a scholarship)?
Was quoting Brains Trust
My understanding of up-skilling (aside from being a rubbish bit of weasel wording) was to train what you had, going shopping I am sure would have a completely different weasel word.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Sarcophilus...you have it under control..we are obviously calling it different things..but bringing in specific players to cover specific positions of specific weakness is what i call "up-skilling" your squad..I personally dont support it but can see why some schools feel the need to do it..my only wish is if the argument takes the high ground of offering a better opportunity and education for some, and in return a benefit to the respective college..then i would love to see a cut off in say year 9 at the latest..that way the boys at the school know exactly where they stand before hitting the senior years, the boys coming in actually do get some sort of "better education" rather than just 1 or 2 years ( doesnt do much ) and the school actually carries some financial risk in that the boy coming may not be quite the star they thought he might be by year 12...of course the chance of such agreement between heads of schools probably wont happen in my life time...

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Was quoting Brains Trust
My understanding of up-skilling (aside from being a rubbish bit of weasel wording) was to train what you had, going shopping I am sure would have a completely different weasel word.

Gotta love the "weasel word"! At risk of upsetting the grammar and language critics - this has to be one of the all time greats! Even now I hear the kids referring to "weaseling" around their mothers strict rules, or "weaseling in" to some situation or other! And who could forget Foghorn Leghorn's nemesis - the ubiquitous weasel - having to be educated in the art of egg stealing! What other creature from the ferret, stoat, pinemarten, mink, badger Ole biscuit barrel choompeter choompeter aardvark family has contributed so much to the language???

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
To sway the direction of discussion a little and away from the 15’s & 16’s, although I trust it is relevant to this thread..– I’m surprised that the many “eagle eyes” out there didn’t come across this piece of interesting information – extracted from the SBHS Newsletter a few weeks ago. ( The Newsletter is openly available on line…)

Now let’s see the weaselling begin !

Cheers
The Hound

And PS – Whilst not an Old Ignatian, I concur with the well wishes & thanks expressed to Mr Hogan. One of the far better ones to have served with distinction on that illustrious body, IMHO.

AAGPS Heads MeetingAt the GPS Heads meeting last Thursday, it was agreed that the calendar for 2014 would remain as it is for 2013. That is, no change would be made to the timing of the athletics season. However, the Heads are exploring options for a broader winter competition and showed a preparedness to align with other Associations should an expanded competition be negotiated in the latter half of 2013 for operation in 2015 at the earliest. The contentious issue of video clips being posted online using images of other schools’ boys was raised. While conceding that control over social media was problematic, the Heads agreed that video clips that inappropriately pictured students from other schools would not be permitted on the school’s official website. Tensions among schools have arisen surrounding ‘recruitment and attraction of students with sporting ability’, particularly enrolling in Years 11 & 12. In order to lessen those tensions a ‘New Boys Committee’ was formed to gather data from member schools about their teams in Years 10-12 and the enrolment dates of their players. A paper was prepared as a draft which sets out points limits for each sport, depending on the number of players in the team. Points range from 7 in rugby to 3 in tennis. A team cannot exceed the points limit. A boy enrolling in Year 10 would attract 2 points; in Year 11 3 points. Players arriving after day 1 in Year 11 attract 4 points and no player is eligible to play if he arrives after term 2 of Year 11. Exchange students would not be eligible for GPS Competitions. Heads are considering the proposal and are awaiting an analysis of the data from schools before making a decision on how the proposal might work.

The Football competition for first and second grade will be a seven round draw, with matches in the last seven weeks of the winter season. The third grade rugby competition will involve 9 teams. Each team will play 8 matches and have a bye. The 2014 draw will be a new draw.

Mr Shane Hogan, Head of Riverview, had his last meeting with the GPS Heads. Mr Hogan served as Chairman of the GPS Heads Committee for several years. On your behalf I would like to acknowledge his outstanding contribution to the AAGPS as an organisation of schools wanting to play games against each other for the purpose of educating boys. He was unfailingly supportive of High and our interests during his time in the chair. As a colleague he has collaborated with me frequently and always proved a wise counsellor and friend with a sensible, well-balanced view of life. He will be missed a great deal by the Riverview community and by those associated with the AAGPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.