• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
New vs The Bye was one of the most outstanding match reports. Sad to see them relegated to ISA. I think they will maintain their consistent performance there.
If a bye is worth the same as a forfeit 28-0 it wont loose by as much as a few teams from this comp have to ISA teams over the past few years. But it will keep turning up for the next game

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
One would hope that they have a better 150 anniversary than the Students had in their 1st grade Shute Shield game that was the curtain raiser to their 150th Anniversary Dinner. That was a loss to the Woodies (I think) on No 1 Oval.

Any loss of wood is a concern! I'm sure the Students will deal with it!! ;)

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
two of the lads that were in the open relay for Newington last year that beat kings were in the 1st and 2nd XV respectively. Remember Matt Hood the speedstar and Josh Mitchell the Bear? restate what you said, im sure other schools had fine athletes in the relays that they would rely on as the season starts.

Good luck to all the boys involved in athletics this weekend! :)

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
New vs The Bye was one of the most outstanding match reports. Sad to see them relegated to ISA. I think they will maintain their consistent performance there.

Thanks HJ! That was a cracker that day - The Bye had a real go! I for one will be following The Bye's progress closely as the season unfolds - who knows, they may make it back!! :)

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
At least two of New's backline were at athletics and one was out injured. The teams will change considerably when all the players come back but at least it gave some of the year 11s a taste of what it's like to play opens and hopefully they can step up if called upon. All the teams only had 1 training session together before playing oakhill so there is a lot of improvement to come

Well done to Oakhill in what was - from all reports - a tough and entertaining days rugby and not limited to the 1st's!

Missing from Newington backline : Lussick, Mitchell, Moreoa, Milne

All up I heard about 10 or 12 regulars out but still - you can only play who turns up in front of you on the day so as I say - full credit to Oakhill!

I also agree with Mrs Rugby - what a great start to the season for some of the younger "up & comers"! Enjoy the moment - and seize the day!!!!

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
ahh yes yes thank you wreckless, I have been consulted by Lee Grant and agreed. IF only I would get paid for doing this work! but luckily I would do it for the boys and the men of the GPS.

Hey Scoop! Are you going to report on the trial games in Orange between Newington, Kinross and Stannies? Remember - Kinross were the only team to beat New last year!!! Should be a great weekend.

Mrs Wreckless and I plan to be there for these games if you would like some input. We have to be in the area working hard on the well known wine surplus that is afflicting the economy - we will do our bit!!!:D

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hey Scoop! Are you going to report on the trial games in Orange between Newington, Kinross and Stannies? Remember - Kinross were the only team to beat New last year!!! Should be a great weekend.

Mrs Wreckless and I plan to be there for these games if you would like some input. We have to be in the area working hard on the well known wine surplus that is afflicting the economy - we will do our bit!!!:D
Remember: 1 bottle at a time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)

Wreckless mate, I can try and get some info from my nephew but ill try my best and see if I can make the trip up there to see them play

Bill McLean (32)
Milne and Moeroa

Admittedly I have not seen any earlier posts that may have dealt with this topic therefore can anyone here shed any light on the intentions of New's strike centres, Taane Milne and Tepai Moeroa as far as rugby is concerned for 2013?

Presently both are having great seasons in the Holden Cup U/20's and there is no doubt in my mind that both will be selected for the U/18's NSW league team team to play in the SOO II curtain raiser at Suncorp on 26 June 2013. That is of course if both are available.

As it stands that GPS rugby commences in mid-May 2013 (beginning with trials etc.); then the U/18 NSWSRU trials from from 18-23 June (with selection occuring on the 23rd); then the two NSWSRU teams will compete at the U/18 ASRU Championship which is being held in Sydney from 30 June to 6 July 2013.

Now given that the NSWSRU teams will probably go into camp on the 25 or 26 June 2013 it will likely present a problem for both boys. In other words could you see either being granted a release to compete at SOO II in the middle of camp (not forgetting that the U/18 NSWRL will also go into camp in or around the same time and wont arrive back into Sydney until the Thursday afternoon.

Last year Tepai made the Australian team, and Taane made the Australian A team, but both made the NSWSRU 1 team so you could expect this to occur again given the exemplary form of both players this season.

The schoolboy rep season that is going to occur is once in a life time stuff, especially when the same culminates in a UK tour. WHICH WAY WILL THEY GO? OR CAN THEY DO BOTH?

Bill McLean (32)
Remember: 1 bottle at a time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dont listen to this advice! Its a nonsense! You only live once.

Go and get absolutley and totally inebriated (which incidentally means 'sh!t faced' in English ... lol), go to the football, heckle all and sundry, take of all your clothes and streak onto the pitch, tackle the opposition's fullback, and promptly surrender to the police!

Most importantly make sure you run past the local media so we can all get to enjoy it later! Think of the great story you'll have to tell your grandchildren in later years!

Starting Lineup

Stan Wickham (3)
Agree with attitude (if that is a problem) but whoever is coaching I hope they don't restrict his flair he was running the ball back from his line and making 60-70 metres, chipping for himself and regathering and throwing great passes. Fine to have team players but I for one will pay money to see the beales, coopers, o'connors of the world mistakes and all than safety first dullards at least I go home entertained and thrilled. Anyway I will be interested to see how he progresses joeys should have a handy 16a side which augurs well for future years.
You said this Perfect Donj. !!

Starting Lineup

Stan Wickham (3)
Milne and Moeroa

Admittedly I have not seen any earlier posts that may have dealt with this topic therefore can anyone here shed any light on the intentions of New's strike centres, Taane Milne and Tepai Moeroa as far as rugby is concerned for 2013?

Presently both are having great seasons in the Holden Cup U/20's and there is no doubt in my mind that both will be selected for the U/18's NSW league team team to play in the SOO II curtain raiser at Suncorp on 26 June 2013. That is of course if both are available.

As it stands that GPS rugby commences in mid-May 2013 (beginning with trials etc.); then the U/18 NSWSRU trials from from 18-23 June (with selection occuring on the 23rd); then the two NSWSRU teams will compete at the U/18 ASRU Championship which is being held in Sydney from 30 June to 6 July 2013.

Now given that the NSWSRU teams will probably go into camp on the 25 or 26 June 2013 it will likely present a problem for both boys. In other words could you see either being granted a release to compete at SOO II in the middle of camp (not forgetting that the U/18 NSWRL will also go into camp in or around the same time and wont arrive back into Sydney until the Thursday afternoon.

Last year Tepai made the Australian team, and Taane made the Australian A team, but both made the NSWSRU 1 team so you could expect this to occur again given the exemplary form of both players this season.

The schoolboy rep season that is going to occur is once in a life time stuff, especially when the same culminates in a UK tour. WHICH WAY WILL THEY GO? OR CAN THEY DO BOTH?
They are not the only boys in the same situation. I know of Boys who are Contracted to NRL and If they happen to make the Australian Team in November and their School Years are finished, some NRL Clubs will not allow these players to play, because they see it as the boys School Years have finished and now want them to focus on their NRL Contracts and a Career Pathway. I can see both sides....

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
They are not the only boys in the same situation. I know of Boys who are Contracted to NRL and If they happen to make the Australian Team in November and their School Years are finished, some NRL Clubs will not allow these players to play, because they see it as the boys School Years have finished and now want them to focus on their NRL Contracts and a Career Pathway. I can see both sides..
There are actually 4 sides:
the Boys
The NRL
The school
The ARU

The school will have had their use of the boys and the ARU have no call on them because they leave it to the schools.
Completely dysfunctional from the point of view of nurturing rugby union talent for the long haul.
But i cant get my head around why kids of this ability want to play league.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
I
They are not the only boys in the same situation. I know of Boys who are Contracted to NRL and If they happen to make the Australian Team in November and their School Years are finished, some NRL Clubs will not allow these players to play, because they see it as the boys School Years have finished and now want them to focus on their NRL Contracts and a Career Pathway. I can see both sides..

I would imagine November would be the off season for league given the competition ends in October. Surely therefore the boys could tour? I don't imagine many league contracted boys would in the running outside Taane and Tepai anyway. Joey Lussick could be one other but not sure if there woud be anymore.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
the Boys
The NRL
The school
The ARU

The school will have had their use of the boys and the ARU have no call on them because they leave it to the schools.
Completely dysfunctional from the point of view of nurturing rugby union talent for the long haul.

I think part of the question is part of the problem. That is the because there is no defined pathway and the dysfunctional nature of the relationship between schools clubs and the hierarchy means boys don't have the one club development that league presents them. These boys are essentially gifted to League. Take Taane or Tepai developed from 15 through the same club, consistent coaching, training and pathways providing sequential development and interaction. Decent pay at NYC tv exposure, professional set-up, representative football and possible promotion to first grade at 19/20.

Given there are 16 clubs with an increasing salary cap locally after the same player pool opposed to 5 provinces picking from a national academy with a decreasing salary cap and little chance of promotion until 23/24 at earliest it is easy to see how without a more coordinated, sequential development program many more of the best both code athletes will choose league

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
the Boys
The NRL
The school
The ARU

I cant get my head around the fact that these players would go to rugby instead of being involved in a professional structure. Harry Rorke, for example will be better off after 2 years in the 20's than a year at colts and 2nd grade.
Rugby League is a game that I've loathed for as long as I can remember but it has obvious advantages to playing rugby at this age.

Starting Lineup

Stan Wickham (3)
I

I would imagine November would be the off season for league given the competition ends in October. Surely therefore the boys could tour? I don't imagine many league contracted boys would in the running outside Taane and Tepai anyway. Joey Lussick could be one other but not sure if there woud be anymore.
Not If your Contracted to a NRL Club, regardless if its the Off Season or Not. I know this Personally.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I cant get my head around the fact that these players would go to rugby instead of being involved in a professional structure. Harry Rorke, for example will be better off after 2 years in the 20's than a year at colts and 2nd grade.
Rubgy League is a game that I've loathed for as long as I can remember but it has obvious advantages to playing rugby at this age.
its so limited - there's a world out there and you're not young forever: what you gonna do when footy is beyond you

Status
Not open for further replies.