• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckboy107

Frank Row (1)
Joeys line-up for this weekend
1. Jono Hardy
2. Teirney Glasson
3. Matt Sandell
4. Linden Deans
5. Koim Wingti
6. Myles Fowler
7. Josh Canturi
8. Ned Hanigan
9. Pat Curtain
10. Andrew Deegan
11. Mason Cohen
12. Willo McDonell
13. Kurtis Bennent
14. Latrell Robinson
15. Pat Vaughn

inj - Nic Penisi, Paddy O'Brien, Gus McGrath and Tevia Mackini
Tevita trained today with 1st and curtain with 2nds

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
Does anyone have any news on the 16s from last years Newington 16 A/B sides moving into the Is or IIs this year. Do any of them have a chance to break it in, although coming from a poor year group last year.

There are some in the IIs, including Kambas and Ball.
The unimpressive thing is some of last years u16s performed very well in IIIS trial against Oakhill yet have been punted in favour of some of last years U15s who def struggled against Oakhills U16s.
Quite bizzarre really

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
I cant get my head around the fact that these players would go to rugby instead of being involved in a professional structure. Harry Rorke, for example will be better off after 2 years in the 20's than a year at colts and 2nd grade.
Rugby League is a game that I've loathed for as long as I can remember but it has obvious advantages to playing rugby at this age.

Thats not necessarily true. I have experience with both (not as a player) and let me tell you the U20s RL competition is an absolute joke full of big athletic kids that can't play football and don't make it any further. From what I hear there is some discussion regarding getting rid of it and that would be the best solution by far.
I know of one good footballer that turned down an U20s contract to play RU. While he wasn't offered the contract he deserved (he didn't fit the profile of a typical U20s player) his decision was based on he could do playing RU, travel the world and experience more.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Will the proverbial hit the proverbial:
Schoolboys wanting a hit of the latest bulk-building product or pill need not travel far. At The Scots College, in Sydney's east, protein powders are supplied by teachers to adolescent athletes in the school gym. A sponsor of the school's rugby sevens tournament is Ultimate Sports Nutrition, whose products include ''hardcore'' anabolics, meal replacements and creatine ''to deliver explosive gains in muscle size and strength''.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/bigorexia-school-sports-big-drug-fight-20130517-2jrvh.html#ixzz2Tab9iQhQ

FootyForever

Stan Wickham (3)
Schoolboys wanting a hit of the latest bulk-building product or pill need not travel far. At The Scots College, in Sydney's east, protein powders are supplied by teachers to adolescent athletes in the school gym. A sponsor of the school's rugby sevens tournament is Ultimate Sports Nutrition, whose products include ''hardcore'' anabolics, meal replacements and creatine ''to deliver explosive gains in muscle size and strength''.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/bigorexia-school-sports-big-drug-fight-20130517-2jrvh.html#ixzz2Tab9iQhQ

Good read, interesting though that the author published a substantial article regarding which elite private schools are and aren't condoning the use of nutrition supplements - making the assumption that the use of nutrition supplements amongst all 17 and 18 year olds was 'bad'. However she provided no argument for or against the use of supplements until the end of the article when she stated: "The Australian Institute of Sport's head of nutrition, Louise Bourke, says there are practical advantages to taking protein supplements in addition to protein-rich foods, such as dairy products or meat, as part of a sports program." Why write an article under the assumption that nutrition supplements were unhealthy, attempting to degrade schools that condone supplements, and then not back up your argument with legitimate statistics regarding the unhealthiness of supplements. Anyway, thats my point of view, I might have it all wrong.

T

Tight head Lion

Well I can confirm that the Scots College not only promoted and pushed supplements on students but as well pressured players to get massive. It nows crosses over most sports. How do I know? I witnessed this first hand in 2008 when it first became formalized. A lot of money was being spent on this and this is why they gratefully accepted the sponsorship. As an old boy I am appalled. It was only a matter of time.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Joeys 1st 36-10
Joeys 2nds 61-5

1st looked pretty good with very little ball and a big penalty cout in the second half. Both Deegan and OShea got runs at 10 and both looked very comfortable. Ned Hanigan put on some massive shots and as always Mat Sandell led well. Star of the day though was Tim McCutcheon, scored 5 tries for the 2s then came on for the 1s, scored three and set up another. Expect him to feature more in 1s this year.

M

magpie52

Riverview beat St Augustines 31-17. Good competitive game. Riverview were down at at half time but were too strong in the second half.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Gents, for Newington, all internal games were played today within the Newington College grounds. It was really great to see today the youngins to the opens playing their hearts out for a spot in the A's or the team they want to make. I would like to say that ill be surprised if Newington's 13A's don't do well this year. they looked superb at play and were achieving plays and structures that would not have been taught well before the likes of rapp and hill were setting the standards for Newington's rugby.

For the senior open newington boys, they have been utilising and learning new skills over a 2-day rugby camp finishing with an internal trial tomorrow. This will comprise and make the 1st XV, 2nd XV and 3rd XV.

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
For the senior open newington boys, they have been utilising and learning new skills over a 2-day rugby camp finishing with an internal trial tomorrow. This will comprise and make the 1st XV, 2nd XV and 3rd XV.

The 1st and prob 2nds will do well, but I do fear that the 3rds as it stands will struggle given the U16s they have brought up.
This was evident as the opens boys that played in the 3rds against Oakhill carved up the rest of the opens in the trials held today between the non 1st 2nd and 3rd players.

It was a nice day out at Stanmore today watching some good rugby.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
The 1st and prob 2nds will do well, but I do fear that the 3rds as it stands will struggle given the U16s they have brought up.
This was evident as the opens boys that played in the 3rds against Oakhill carved up the rest of the opens in the trials held today between the non 1st 2nd and 3rd players.

It was a nice day out at Stanmore today watching some good rugby.

this is why I think Newington opens should let the boys that have similar ability in the lower teams e.g. 4ths to play to the 3rds than getting numerous u16s boys to play and diminish their own team in the 16s competition. But I guess view did that last year with there 16A's and its proved well as they are now in their 2nd year of open grade rugby and are doing very well e.g. bowditch and Hosea. Maybe Newington wants to do the same but surely it doesn't need to be done with the 3rd XV?

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think the difference is most schools will play U16s in the opens if they play firsts, else they go back to the U16s and rarely would a bunch from the previous years U15Bs get called into the opens, but this is what New are doing. Maybe its because last years 16As were not very strong (esp forwards), but they are missing the fact that some of the U16Bs from last year are up to it this year.

Reports from the training sessions today for the "gps" squad (1st,2nd and 3rds) at Newington are that most of the U16s are no where near 3rds standards.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
King's 1sts 54 def Stannies 7 with Stannies scoring inside the last two minutes of the game. Kings 2nds & 3rds had big wins as well.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not sure that this is going to deserve its own thread and it is silent as to a year or years in which this happened - but:
One player manager involved in talent scouting, who wished to remain anonymous, said questions were murmured about a Wallaby, who ''finished at Shore, disappeared for a year, loaded up on everything he could, came back and started playing footy when he was 20''.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-sinister-shadow-cast-by-towering-teenagers-20130518-2jtcz.html#ixzz2TgCrvGGh

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Can someone who was at Riverview tell me how James Lough played yesterday for Auggies. And secondly who won the 15As between both teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.