• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

ben wal

Predictions for the weekend?

Joeys to pump Shore at Hunters Hill, Scots to beat Kings at home and Newington to get over View by not much in a close game.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The point about good depth being an essential prerequisite for success this year has been made many times over the last 4 months and Joeys have that on most other teams.

That is the case with Joeys in most seasons though they have lost their natural advantage of their 100% boarding over the years with things being so tough in the bush and having to get their numbers up with day students. That, and some other schools doing what they are doing.

It has been galling for the Hunters Hill faithful in the last several years to see their Twos and Threes wallop other schools then see a team of young giants, often with some of doubtful rugby union pedigree, run on against their side in the Ones.

I suppose that I shouldn't have digressed there, but it suffices to say that the GPS schools will discover what the CAS schools did when they changed to a home and away tournament.

Rather than having a number of trials where they could rotate players and try out movements as if they were in a training session, and maybe rest players with a slight niggle, their teams were going full blast for a longer period.

It was no longer a sprint but a middle distance race and they had more trouble keeping all of the XV on the park than they did before the change. GPS teams will find that out too and the team with the best depth will prosper by comparison with schools that are top heavy.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
GPSrow and others I was wondering if anyone has an idea of what this new 3rd XV comp is going to look like?
Tips for the comp? The stronger and weaker XV's?

By the looks of the competition on the 3rd XV, Joeys, Grammar and Kings will be the strongest competition. Underdogs will definitely be Armidale and High.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I don't know that TAS will be underdogs. They were competitive in all their games in the 2nd XV competition last year - except one - and beat Riverview.

If the 2013 team is of a similar standard this year they should go OK in the Threes.

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
That is the case with Joeys in most seasons though they have lost their natural advantage of their 100% boarding over the years with things being so tough in the bush and having to get their numbers up with day students. That, and some other schools doing what they are doing.

It has been galling for the Hunters Hill faithful in the last several years to see their Twos and Threes wallop other schools then see a team of young giants, often with some of doubtful rugby union pedigree, run on against their side in the Ones.

I suppose that I shouldn't have digressed there, but it suffices to say that the GPS schools will discover what the CAS schools did when they changed to a home and away tournament.

Rather than having a number of trials where they could rotate players and try out movements as if they were in a training session, and maybe rest players with a slight niggle, their teams were going full blast for a longer period.

It was no longer a sprint but a middle distance race and they had more trouble keeping all of the XV on the park than they did before the change. GPS teams will find that out too and the team with the best depth will prosper by comparison with schools that are top heavy.
In regards to your last paragraph also don't underestimate the impact that the upcoming reps season will have on teams that have a lot of players selected to play GPS and NSW Schools. These boys will be playing multiple games during the next school holidays and it is likely that some of them may get injured or return in term 3 for the remainder of the GPS comp very jaded.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I think they will surprise the doubters based on superior fundamentals across the wider playing group: i.e. 2nds and below.
This is based on 40 years observing the fact that few boys leave SJC without the rugby essentials.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
To Lee. I think that TAS is weaker this year measured by their performance against High, but I will still be watching closely. The point about TAS is that the total number of boys is smaller (about 800) and spread across multiple sports. But the top teams actually get the same level of professional coaching as the Sydney lot, so you never know.

HOTRwinner

Frank Nicholson (4)
Jack Bowditch from View will be dangerous this season. Will be interesting to see who Newington has to put up against him in the front row for their round 1 clash this weekend.

thats debatable. He is a very big boy, and cant run to far. Plus he has an old knee injury which has come back to haunt him again. Can someone let me know the results for this weekend, i wont be able to attend.
cheers

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Tips for this weekend - Joeys by 15-20 over Shore, Scots
by 7 over Kings and Newington over View by 5

Big Lebowski

Frank Row (1)
i think joeys by 5 scots by 10 view with the upset by 3
I agree with your scotts and joeys tips however i think this young view side might actually get touched up come saturday. Its all well and good them having an extensive trail period but come game day they are opposing a newington back line which has remained relatively unchanged from 2012, and a fairly experienced pack. This young team will be surprised coming up a real 1st tier schoolboys firsts rather than the lower standard in their previous games.
New by 10

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Shores Lineup for the Weekend:

1. Pedrana
2. Stump
3. Streeter
4. Cooke
5. Olver
6. Lawson Muir
7. Woodhill
8. Wrench
9. Emery
10. Clancy
11. Oldham
12. King
13. Duncan
14. Cooke
15. Clancy

Forward pack looking very strong, even without the currently injured Nathan Lucas, and is shaping up to be one of the stronger packs in the competition. In the backs, this week sees the return of Emery, who at halfback will provide some leadership and structure around the field. The backline definitely isnt the biggest in the comp, but are fast and mobile, and it'll be interesting to see how they go this weekend under the leadership of the Clancy twins at flyhalf and fullback.

Micheal's Picks for the Week:

Shore vs Joeys - it will be a close one, and beating Joeys at Hunters Hill in the first round infront of a sea of pink is no easy task, but my blue and white spectacles lead me to believe the Shore boys have it in them. Shore by 3.

Newington vs View - Newington's size and experience to dominate Riverview, whos inexperience and youth will ultimately let them down. Newington by 13.

Kings vs Scots - Haven't heard much from the Kings side, but the match up of Kellaway vs Tulloch should be a good one, and it'll be interesting to see how Kellaway goes with his new responsibilities as flyhalf. Don't know my own reasoning behind this but my gut tells me Scots by 9.

The Taxi Driver

Allen Oxlade (6)
I might have missed this but how is the competition winner decided at the end of 10 rounds if there isn't an outright winner? Points for and against? Or is there a possibility of joint premiers? And does this apply for all age groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.