• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Anyway, i agree with the GPS Rower's comment about GPS champs playing CAS champs. This might be the start of something which the schoolboy comp needs, in my opinion.
Why?
What is the point of it when neither want anything to do with it. Be careful what you wish for hfth, sometimes it is better to leave be. Get back to whats happening this weekend please

overs and unders

Stan Wickham (3)
Taane from New has to be an obvious pick, having represented NSW on the wing last year, not too sure about the other wing, sounds like Cohen from SJC has been playing some good footy? That's a bit of a bolter though.
following on an earlier post regarding the selection of contracted rugby leaguers - WHY select them, its rugby union so select any player thats a union player. Its the most pointless exercise selecting them in GPS or any level beyond, its just taking away development opportunity for others committed to the right code?

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
Not sure about the final starting front row but the 1sts likely team will probably be:
1.Cleaver
2. Crossley
3. Ridley
4. N Kellaway
5. Murray
6. Kamp
7. Dunbar
8. Crichton
9. Short
10. A Kellaway
11. Krafts
12. Starkey
13. Tabuamata
14. Porter
15. Stiles

No room for Brown or Rudolf ?

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
On another topic, GPS needs to join with cas. The comp is too small and frankly insular. Most dont appreciate this until you leave school and play club rugby. it was good to hear scots trialled against manly colts.
There should be 12 teams. Each play each other once. Then semis for teams with highest points and then final with home ground advantages etc just like the old super 12. The points table should be in the paper each week and hopefully you could get the semis and final televised. This would really lift the comp to another level. The crowds would be huge for the finals. So many old boys would go.
The benefits are obvious but I fear the powers to be in GPS and CAS are perhaps a little arrogant to even get together for a chat. Instead of worrying about what to do with the weakness teams (grammar and high)
, how about think about how take the strongest teams to the next level.

While I agree with a CAS champion V GPS Champion game at the end of the season. I can't see a reason why joining the comps is a good idea. It would dilute the level of the competition. I have been involved in CAS schools and GPS schools and sorry if some people can't cope with the truth but the GPS competition is much much stronger than the CAS comp, especially through the As and Bs.
It would squash tradition and rivalries that are very strong in both systems.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It doesn't matter who is stronger or weaker: the main reason why the schools and most old boys want to keep playing other GPS schools is the tradition of it.

People can turn their noses up at that but it is what it is: it is special to them.

People will carefully explain to you why it's better in a rugby sense to have all the strong rugby schools play against each other and/or for rugby schools in a certain area to have regional city competitions.

Folks already know that.

I first come across these ideas on the internet about 14 years ago; so they are old ideas and no doubt they were talked about before then.

The GPS schools don't exist for rugby.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
35 Season ago - Round 1 AAGPS 1978, a little bitter sweet given Grammar's official absence from the comp in 2013
Rijund 1 1978.jpg

sootyanddave

Allen Oxlade (6)
The GPS schools don't exist for rugby.
good point.
But rugby doesn't exist for GPS either.
Rugby has allowed the GPS system to erode it's junior base for it's own purposes, to the detriment of the code.
Compare the SA school system or the NZ system,our "competitions"are poor.
It would not be hard to maintain the GPS comp,as the first round,then play the next 6 best Schools to finish the year.No one is playing any more games, tradition is upheld,more Schools are exposed to a high standard of Rugby.
However,given the Chair & the CEO are both GPS old boys,only a fool would bet on any changes.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
following on an earlier post regarding the selection of contracted rugby leaguers - WHY select them, its rugby union so select any player thats a union player. Its the most pointless exercise selecting them in GPS or any level beyond, its just taking away development opportunity for others committed to the right code?

This is the problem: the schools don't have a duty to develop "the code", that's the role of ARU/NSWRU, a role at which they have failed to fulfil spectacularly.

FootyForever

Stan Wickham (3)
Personally, on the matter of combining the GPS and CAS comp, I don't agree that it should go ahead because of tradition sake. However, in my honest opinion, there is a need for a competition similar to that of the U20 Holden Cup in league - which could be established if GPS and CAS was combined. This would increase competition, improve pathways and keep more players in the sport of union rather than being contracted to league from a young age. In my opinion, this could occur in two ways:

1. Combination of already existing Schoolboy competitions in NSW, QLD and VIC (Example: Brisbane GPS, Sydney GPS and Melbourne 1st Division)
2. Combination of the Colts Competitions from NSW, QLD and VIC

In my opinion, it would be more suitable to establish the competition through the colts system rather than the GPS competition - I am unsure if this is in the right place, I am unaware of another already existing thread regarding this topic but I noticed there was a similar discussion so I thought I would give my 2 cents.

overs and unders

Stan Wickham (3)
This is the problem: the schools don't have a duty to develop "the code", that's the role of ARU/NSWRU, a role at which they have failed to fulfil spectacularly.
can understand playing in the competition itself and representing the school, but the ARU is in damage control for keeping numbers in the game.This is a simple opportunity to reward the exact players they are wanting to hang around so give them opportunities. Signing NRL contracts whilst at school should simply be none selection at the rep levels, doesn't seem to be rocket science but in its current form is it any wonder so many give up playing after school finishes? With the New boys for example theres 3-4 opportunities missed by a number of high level union players that see the system as flawed where the NRL boys get both recognition - rewarded regardless of changing code, no reward to those staying true to the union code and putting in as much effort?

overs and unders

Stan Wickham (3)
Newington 1st XV v Riverview
1 V Fifita
2 M Serhon
3 M Tufui
4 G Prassas
5 G Atiola
6 A Vasilis
7 D Morris
8 L Cannell
9 J Lussick