• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Oddly
High 13A's far too good.
15A's 5 all when an early half time was called because of injury and the game was ultimately abandoned without further play - not sure how that would have panned out.
Grammar 2nds far too good.
In the 1's High were a lot further behind Grammar than last year, when I think I reported that High might have won it. This is interesting because, to some extent, the feeling was that Grammar would not be as good this year. Either High have gone backwards or Grammar have improved.
I feel that Lachlan Fear is making great progress with Grammar in the 1s and is certainly influencing the younger ages positively.
My feeling is that the Grammar firsts should go OK against other school's thirds but it is a while since i have watched a 3rds game, to be frank!
The kids in 1s are very very keen to do well and reverse the 30 years trend.

Sounds like a positive day of rugby. I'll be watching the 3rds results with interest this year.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
newington were too big, strong and quick for the young view side today. 3 key players missing in the forward pack didnt help the case for view either, however the team still managed to put up a solid fight against this enormous and skillful newington team. The newington backline was as big, if not bigger then the view forwards. A try of the kick off in the 1st minute certainly left the view team shaking, with the score 7-0 after 60 seconds. However view got back on their feet and countered with a try from their quick winger, sam mete. Half time new lead 19-7, with another try early second half making it 26-7. One of the best tries I have ever seen came from the view number 9. Final score 31-14 was a relatively fair result for both sides. View managed to relatively defend well considering circumstances. Look forward to see how the historical riverview vs joeys match turns out in round 2. Riverview put up a gutsy performance and certainly look to be solid contenders in this years gps rounds.
Who won the 2nds?

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
The New v Riverview seconds was not a bad game at all. The RV fullback was very good. He scored a great try with only a few mins to go to make it 15-12. The kicker then took the ball back at least to the 22, to kick the conversion (right in front). He then missed.
New squared the scores up at 15-15 will a long range penalty kick in the last minute.

Riverview won the thirds, can't remember the score. Not a bad game, spoiled a little by a suspected head/neck injury (which was OK) and a large unfit looking centre that seemed happier to play the game in the wrong spirit, than play rugby.

4ths was a strange game, Riverview took off to a good lead, running straight through the New backline I think it was 22 or 27-0 at half time. Then there was not a point scored in the second half, New probably going the closest.

rawsteak

Stan Wickham (3)
Any news on the Riverview Number 8 (Hunt I think)? Never good to see a player go down with a neck injury.
Ben Hunt returned from hospital this morning in a neck brace. Not a huge injury, but one that could put him out for a few weeks.

In regards to New/View game - Newington showed why they are the number 1 team in the comp (in my view). Forwards were a solid platform for backs to work off. Riverview fought the whole way through, with special mention to centres Tom Molloy (Year 12 but young) and Henry Hutchinson (Year 11 but young) who had real guts in defending the opposites. Mike Kennedy (Halfback) scored an excellent solo try and Tom Molloy (Inside) I thought defended very well, but in the end you can't contain that sort of talent in the Newington backs for the entirety of the game.

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
rawsteak,
good news regarding Ben Hunt
I gotta say I agree with you regarding HH, he tried his guts out. But I think he should do another year in his age group as he was outclassed

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
newington were too big, strong and quick for the young view side today. 3 key players missing in the forward pack didnt help the case for view either, however the team still managed to put up a solid fight against this enormous and skillful newington team. The newington backline was as big, if not bigger then the view forwards. A try of the kick off in the 1st minute certainly left the view team shaking, with the score 7-0 after 60 seconds. However view got back on their feet and countered with a try from their quick winger, sam mete. Half time new lead 19-7, with another try early second half making it 26-7. One of the best tries I have ever seen came from the view number 9. Final score 31-14 was a relatively fair result for both sides. View managed to relatively defend well considering circumstances. Look forward to see how the historical riverview vs joeys match turns out in round 2. Riverview put up a gutsy performance and certainly look to be solid contenders in this years gps rounds.

I thought New were showing a lack of match practice and will improve. Nevertheless an awesome display. And they are huge. But the surprise of the match for me was how good the Riverview lads were. They will do serious damage in this years competition. If this is a young team then everyone watch out next year. And yes that try from the view 9 ..... it happened in front of me and it was magic.

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
rawsteak,
good news regarding Ben Hunt
I gotta say I agree with you regarding HH, he tried his guts out. But I think he should do another year in his age group as he was outclassed

i beg to differ his pace and defense against tanne and tepai at times was class, he is a man that has been getting his name thrown at GPS 1'sts i think he showed yesterday why his name is getting thrown around in that team, he is a class player

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
I thought New were showing a lack of match practice and will improve.
This is so evident right through all the teams. Its quite ridiculous the lack of preparation Newington have had this year.

Thats all good Mr that Guy,
Maybe this year will be good for him, and think he did a good job for an U16, for me he isn't there yet.
Against lesser centres he may well kill it

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Joeys v Shore match report

With the weather threatening Joeys no1 looked picturesque. Following a very competitive 2nds game which Joeys came from behind to win through 2 excellent tries involving their No15 Patrick Vaughan beating Shore out wide to win 21-17. This set up a very much anticipated 1st XV game which offered much intrigue and matchups. Joeys three peat flyhalf Andrew Deegan was taking on Shore's dynamic Sydney/NSW flyhalf Jack Clancy; Matt Sandell Joeys capt and tighthead taking on Shore's (NGS) loosehead Doug Streeter; and the battle of the fullbacks in Joeys' Mason Cohen and Shore's Nic Clancy.

With both teams running on to the singing of the fellow students the lads in cerise and blue were head and shoulders taller and bigger than the blue & white stripes.

For the first 15 mins both teams traded territory and possession. Joeys started the scorebaod with a fine try to No4 Koim Wingti who crashed over in the 13th minute. Shore No2 (Stump) was carried off soon after and replaced by No18 Sam Cater (2nds No8). Shore then responded to Joeys try with a try on the backside of fine play from Jack Clancy trying to dance everwhere to finally send his right winger Toby Cooke over for a good try. The score went from 7-7 to 10-10 after penalty goals were swapped.

The crowd fell silent when the ref (S Hardy) tore his calf and limped off only to be replaced by the officious and inconsistent 2nds young ref (M Abraham). Many hoped this wasn't going to be a defining moment in the game given his performance in the earlier game (2 yellow cards).

It was all locked up 10-10 at the break and looked like a great second half to be played.

But it turned out to be opportunities begging. Every time the line was beckoning and a gaping hole appeared in front of them the Joeys backs looked up and spilled the ball, again and again. Shore lived up to their reputation and kept bustling and tackling everything that moved. Shore countered with some enterprising runs down the flanks and were the first to score with their enterprising No8, Henry Wrench flying over making it 15-10 only to have Joeys respond again reflecting how close this game was contested. But Joeys capitalised on one of those silly penalties (40m kick downfield by Shore and the ref blowing it after 1sec for players not immediately retreating) and scored a try to No11, Latrell Robinson, and the game was 'locked up'.

At 15-15 both teams were trying (& puffing) hard. Shore looked like their lack of pre-season matches was catching up with them and Joeys looking better for training during the summer together. The big Joeys props showed their outstanding athleticism with the No3 (Sandell) putting on some real speed chasing a kick down the left flank.

This superior match fitness probably accounted for Joeys scoring again from a fine run by the other winger Tim McCutcheon to take the score to 20-15 and the ref blowing his whistle for full time.

Of the highlighted head-to-head clashes, each lived up to the hype except the fullbacks who both had quite games. Of the others none of them dominated their opposite and Mr Abrahams didn't decide the winner!

Best three for each team (IMHO) were:
Joeys
3. Matt Sandell (tighthead)
2. Oscar Sykes (loosehead)
1. Andrew Deegan (5/8)

Shore
3. Jum Woodhill (No7)
2. Doug Streeter (loosehead)
1. Harvey Duncan (No13)

hits and trys

Bob McCowan (2)
Is there a match report on the Newington game, or how did the backs go for Newington, against the small and speedy View side?

Wreckless, Gpsrow?

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
My interpretation of yesterday's games is that there was only 1 surprise and that was the scoreline Scots v Kings.
Scots 50 Kings 12

A comprehensive 8 tries to 2 victory for Scots in their opening round game. Kings scored first but within 60 seconds of the restart it was 7 all. Scots then unleashed the full potency of their backs destroying Kings out wide, and raced to a 29-7 half time lead. It was more of the same in the second half and the Kings outside backs had no answer to the relentless Scots attack missing a heap of one on one tackles. Scots went wide with nearly every attacking phase, even off their own line from kickoffs and Matt Crafts blinding speed on the left wing lead to break after break. Andrew Kellaway was excellent directing things at 10 and was ably suported by Ben Starkey at 12. Only some good cover defence from the Kings fullback and their no 9 stopped the winning margin being even greater than the final 50-12 scoreline. The forward battle was a bit more even with plenty of good contests for the ball but the bigger Scots forwards got the better of their counterparts. Scots hard work in their long pre season has them in very good shape as they just seemed bigger and certainly faster than Kings across the paddock. It was a very positive start to the season for the Scots boys and whilst its early days the 20 year premiership drought may be about to finally break.

Status
Not open for further replies.