• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

capybara

Bob McCowan (2)
The number 10 spot in gps 1sts is up for grabs in my opinion, there are no complete stand out 10 in the competition, i've been around to all teams play, except scots, in which i believe Kellaway is playing Five-Eighth. Out of all of the Five-Eights i believe Deegan and Tulloch have been comprehensively outclassed by Clancy and Mcgregor (Shore & View). These two boys both of who, played in the NSW u16 team last year, are extremely skilled and very fast on their feet. No one this year will be of the quality of Horwitz from last year (Scots), which will leave a stain on the gps Five-Eight position. At the moment i would have Clancy at 10 in the gps 1sts just from what I have seen this season, if Deegan and Tulloch want a selection, they will need to show their seniority and really step it up before selection, because they really have better potential.

overs and unders

Stan Wickham (3)
Think selection on form for GPS especially 12, 13 and 14 from New who dominated Views back line, carved up was what I saw especially from those three, plenty of skill and strength.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
The Captain's ability to speak is only worth 5% of the grading for the post match afternoon tea.

A far more important criteria for selection of the Captain would surely be the ability of THEIR mother to stage manage the afternoon tea.
And I have not heard yet of any fatalities after eating my Brownie's....

thefencesitter

Allen Oxlade (6)
GPS half is probably the most contended spot for selection at the moment, with outstanding halfbacks from all 6 sides. An analysis from the weekend:

Whilst on under incessant onslaught from the Scots forwards, Davis seemed the slight better of the halves on the weekend, holding a strong defensive game and providing some much-needed individual flair in a lacklustre side. Scots 9 - Mitch Short's performance looked strong on the back of clean breakdowns and a dominant forward pack, being able to provide quick service to a speedy back-line. Davis' GPS representation last year will stand for something at selection, and will probably see him slotting in.

In the Newington - View game, surprisingly Mike Kennedy had it over Lussick, who struggled to pass left-to-right in the wet conditions. Whilst his physicality helped him around the rucks in securing possession, his service to Abrahams was sluggish. Kennedy, following a brilliant 60m chip-and-chase try had to be the pick of the two. He offered very quick chest-ball to McGregor despite being pushed backwards by a gargantuan forward pack. In defence, he rarely missed a tackle and took down the likes of Milne and Moera. Will be interesting to see where he comes in, as he wasn't picked for GPS representation last year.

Didn't get to see the Joeys/Shore game, however I've heard that Curtain had a strong game, having it over the prodigious Emery. The rowing season has certainly done wonders, with Curtain showing minimal tire around the park. However, Joeys 2nds #9 Tevita made GPS 3's last year, following Curtain's injury, so will be interesting to see what happens from that.

'Politics' aside, from what I've seen Kennedy and Davis have been the most impressive as of yet, both looking to be chances for the number 9 jersey.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
GPS Selection process (2013)
1. Team lists compiled to which the respective coaches place their comments beside each of their 'better' players.
2. Selectors have a meeting (prior to 1st round) compile all the 6 team lists and see how the GPS teams may look (on paper).
3. Each selector is then assigned to watch a game (not their own school) and make notes against those boys already 'identified' or for specific gaps in the pencilled team lists. They can also identify their own outstanding player/s to throw in the mix but will need to support their observations. (Note many selectors only watched the 1sts game last week leaving many very talented 2nds players without much hope for "out-of-the-blue/bolter" selection).
4. Selectors meet again prior to round 2 and repeat step 3
5. Selectors meet for last time and confirm their three squads ready for publication.
6. relief for 48 boys and grief for many.

Note: players that ARU have identified over the years (JGS, NGS etc) are not specifically included as these programs are outside GPS competitions/programs. These players may be included/considered when selection panel have ARU participation such as Combined States and Aust Schools teams.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
George Smith welcome back. We have missed your contributions for a while. With the rep season upon us, your player database skills will be of use.

I think Inside Shoulder may have been concerned by the statement/inference that JGS/NGS boys would be excluded from GPS selection.

I think that the more precise statement would be that JGS/GPS status will not be taken into account by the AAGPS selectors, nor will the team selections be influenced by ARU advisors.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
George Smith welcome back. We have missed your contributions for a while. With the rep season upon us, your player database skills will be of use.

I think Inside Shoulder may have been concerned by the statement/inference that JGS/NGS boys would be excluded from GPS selection.

I think that the more precise statement would be that JGS/GPS status will not be taken into account by the AAGPS selectors, nor will the team selections be influenced by ARU advisors.
Quite right HJ - "concerned" perhaps a little too strong. Just wanted to get an accurate impression.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
GPS Selection process (2013)
1. Team lists compiled to which the respective coaches place their comments beside each of their 'better' players.
2. Selectors have a meeting (prior to 1st round) compile all the 6 team lists and see how the GPS teams may look (on paper).
3. Each selector is then assigned to watch a game (not their own school) and make notes against those boys already 'identified' or for specific gaps in the pencilled team lists. They can also identify their own outstanding player/s to throw in the mix but will need to support their observations. (Note many selectors only watched the 1sts game last week leaving many very talented 2nds players without much hope for "out-of-the-blue/bolter" selection).
4. Selectors meet again prior to round 2 and repeat step 3
5. Selectors meet for last time and confirm their three squads ready for publication.
6. relief for 48 boys and grief for many.

Note: players that ARU have identified over the years (JGS, NGS etc) are not specifically included as these programs are outside GPS competitions/programs. These players may be included/considered when selection panel have ARU participation such as Combined States and Aust Schools teams.
How does this work after only 1 comp game? Any consideration taken into acconut for past performance for 'veterans' like Kellaway, Sandell, Tepai etc?

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Long time reader, first time commenter.

Shaping up to be a good competition, very early at the moment, and not a lot of results to go by, but, taking into consideration all the information I have read on this forum and my own observations from years of watching this level of rugby my predictions for this year are as follows:

1. Newington
2. Scots
3. Riverview
4. Joeys
5. Kings
6. Shore

I could very well be wrong, I likely am, but that is how I think this competition is going to go down.

In terms of GPS selections I think a few predictions I have seen have been a little unfavorable to certain teams because of results in the first round. I think, for instance, Riverview are not so bad that are not deserving of at least one spot in the GPS 1sts, to be sure, however, I don't think that many of the names being thrown around (from Riverview) should make the 1's particularly at hooker and half-back, there are probably better options, but Riverview's number 8 played very well against Newington and outclassed his opposite man who seems to be the name being thrown around for 1's at this stage. Also I think Scots should, and probably will, have more players in the 1's than is being predicted at the moment, they look like they will be a great side.

Match of Round 2 (the one that most people should be looking forward to) is the always huge Riverview v Joeys match, the annual battle of the Catholics/Hunters Hill-Lane Cove area, should be good. Rumour has it the Riverview Drumline is making its 1st XV debut at half-time. Hopefully the start of a big tradition...
In terms of results I think, as usual, Joeys will dominate the proceedings from the Opens down to the 13's, from the A's to the H's, but Riverview will get up in the 1st XV so long as they learn from the mistakes made against Newington.

Anyway, interested to hear your thoughts keep up the good work Green and Gold.

thefencesitter

Allen Oxlade (6)
Long time reader, first time commenter.

...Riverview's number 8 played very well against Newington and outclassed his opposite man who seems to be the name being thrown around for 1's at this stage. Also I think Scots should, and probably will, have more players in the 1's than is being predicted at the moment, they look like they will be a great side.

Anyway, interested to hear your thoughts keep up the good work Green and Gold.

Fully agree with you here, whilst playing less than 30mins, the view number 8 made valuable metre's through tackle busts and fends and was tireless in defence, securing the pill on more than one occasion. Should definitely be considered.

Am interested as to why you picked Shore to come last? After their close scoreline with Joeys on Saturday, and Kings' 'thrashing' from Scots?

capybara

Bob McCowan (2)
Bit off topic but interesting to see if any u16's playing in opens get injured this weekend in the State champs

I agree, there are several boys playing in the tournament this weekend. Especially with Souths combining with Randwick they will construct a big and physical team. Interesting to see if all the young boys are at training on tuesday.. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.